How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a chocolate filled dessert dip? Try out this creamy, fluffy and rich hot chocolate dip. This decadent chocolate dessert only takes 3 ingredients and 10 minutes to whip together.
This delicious and decadent hot chocolate dip is an easy to make no bake dessert. It is a simple combination of hot chocolate mix, marshmallow fluff and whipped topping.
If the creamy, chocolate flavor of a warm mug of hot chocolate is one of your favorites, but you are looking for something to serve as dessert, then this is a dessert dip you must try. You can also customize this easily by adding different toppings or using different dippers.
This is great to whip up for winter holidays to serve at celebrations and large get togethers. But, it is also so easy to make that you can certainly mix this up anytime you are craving an easy and creamy chocolate flavored sweet snack.
🧁Why To Try This Recipe
Fast to make - this recipe is so quick and easy to make. You can be snacking on this delicious dessert dip in 10 minutes or less. All you need to do is mix everything together.
Simple Ingredients - you only need 3 super simple ingredients for this recipe. You may already have some of them in your kitchen. And they are all inexpensive.
Creamy Chocolate - it is full of super rich and creamy chocolate flavor. This is a decadent and delicious chocolate filled dessert.
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Spatula, Whisk or Spoon
- Marshmallow fluff
- Whipped Topping
- Hot Chocolate Mix/Packet
See recipe card for quantities.
📖Substitutions & Variations
Try out these flavor variations and ingredient substitutions if you are looking to change this dip up a little.
- Cream Cheese - add 8 oz of cream cheese to make a thicker, creamier dip.
- Mini marshmallows - add a little extra marshmallow flavor by sprinkling some mini marshmallows on top of the dip. This also makes it look a little more festive.
- Mini chocolate chips - sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top of the dip in order to ramp up the chocolate flavor.
- Different hot chocolate flavors - you can go with more standard dark or milk chocolate. Or, you can really change up the flavors with like pumpkin spice, butterscotch or salted caramel just to name a few.
- Non-dairy whipped topping - go dairy free by using a non-dairy whipped topping.
- Other toppings - add additional flavors by sprinkling other toppings on this dip such as crushed candy canes.
Want another three ingredient dessert, but looking for a little different flavor? Try this baked s'mores dip.
Follow these super easy step-by-step directions to make the best hot chocolate fluff ever.
Step one: Add the whipped topping into a large mixing bowl.
Step two: Fold the marshmallow creme into the whipped topping in the bowl.
Step three: Add hot chocolate mix and fold it in with the marshmallow creme and whipped topping.
Hint: let the whipped topping sit on the counter or in the fridge for an hour or so before using so that it is easier to stir.
⭐Recipe Tips for Success
- Prevent sticking - the marshmallow fluff is SUPER sticky. Spray the spoon, spatula or whisk you are using with a little cooking spray before adding it to the mixing bowl. This will help keep it off your stirring utensil and make it easier to work with.
- Use a stand or hand mixer - this is super easy to make and we didn't want to lug out the mixer, so we mixed by hand. However, the fluff is really sticky. If you want to save some energy use a stand or hand mixer instead.
- Stir well - make sure you completely stir in all of the hot chocolate mix. If you aren't careful, some of the powder can get left in the bottom of the bowl and it is really gritty. So, make sure it is all well combined.
You can make this dip ahead if you want. It can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 - 5 days in an airtight container. You may want to let it sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or so before serving so it is soft.
You can freeze this dip for up to 3 months. Be aware that at defrosting it may separate some and have a less creamy texture. Defrost it overnight in the refrigerator.
The best kind of hot chocolate mix to use for this dip is really up to what your favorite one is. Using a high quality like Ghirardelli is nice, but you can also use store brand or a mid-tier like Swiss Miss.
It is not recommended to make your own whipped cream for this dip. It tends to be a little thinner than store bought whipped topping.
Yes, you can make this hot chocolate dip without marshmallow fluff. Simply skip the fluff and add 8 oz of cream cheese.
🍴What to Serve with this Dip
- Graham Crackers
- Peppermint Bark
- Animal Crackers
- Nilla Wafers
- Ritz crackers
- Gingerbread cookies
Hot Chocolate Dip
- 1 Large mixing bowl
- 8 oz Jar of Marshmallow Creme
- 8 oz Whipped Topping
- 3 oz Hot Chocolate Mix (2 packets)
- Graham Crackers for dipping
- Allow the whipped topping to thaw at room temperature for about an hour so it is soft and easy to work with. Or you can thaw it in the fridge overnight or for a few hours.
- Scoop 8 oz of whipped topping into a mixing bowl.
- Scoop 7 oz of marshmallow fluff into the mixing bowl with the whipped topping and stir until well combined.
- Sprinkle in 3 oz of hot chocolate mix and thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Scoop dip into a serving bowl, top with mini marshmallows if desired.
- Add cream cheese - you can make a thicker dip by adding 8 oz of cream cheese. Or, you can use it to replace the marshmallow fluff.
- Mix in toppings - add in extra flavor by sprinkling on toppings like mini marshmallows, crushed peppermint sticks or mini chocolate chips.
- Use different hot chocolate flavors - change up the flavor by using different flavors of hot chocolate like milk chocolate, dark chocolate or even salted caramel.
- No stick - the fluff is really sticky. Spray whatever utensil you are using to stir with cooking spray before digging into the fluff.
- Stir easier - the fluff is so sticky that it can be hard to mix. If you want to make it easier, use a hand or stand mixer instead of stirring by hand.
- Stir well - the hot chocolate powder is super gritty if not thoroughly mixed in. Make sure to get it well combined, including in the bottom of the bowl.
- You can make this dip ahead and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 - 5 days. Let is sit at room temperature for 15 minutes or so before serving so it softens up a little.
- You can freeze this dip in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Of note, the texture may suffer a little as the ingredients can separate some. Defrost in the refrigerator overnight.