These super easy to make three ingredient lemon cake mix cookies are chewy, and full of tangy, sweet flavor. You only need about 20 minutes to whip up a batch of these delicious cookies which are topped with powdered sugar for a little crinkle cookie effect.
These lemon cake mix cookies are super soft and fluffy. They are an easy to make recipe that only requires eggs, vegetable oil and lemon cake mix. With an optional addition of powdered sugar if you want an extra sweetness.
These cookies have a sweet lemon flavor that can't be beat. They are perfect for summer celebrations, barbecues and pool parties. But, they also work well for impromptu snacking.
🍪 Why To Try This Recipe
Only 4 ingredients - with only 3 required ingredients (the 4th, powdered sugar is optional) these cookies are easy to make. You probably already have most of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
Easy to make - this recipe is super easy to make. Just toss a few ingredients in a bowl, mix and bake.
Soft & Fluffy - these delicious cookies are super soft an fluffy. They are thick and full of sweet lemon flavor.
- Measuring Cups
- Mixing bowl
- Cookie sheet
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Lemon Cake Mix - whatever brand you prefer, Duncan Hines, Betty Crocker, Pillsbury or a store brand is fine.
- Vegetable Oil
- Powdered Sugar (optional) - for rolling cookies in to give a crinkle effect.
- Lemon extract or Lemon zest (optional) - to add a little extra lemon zing.
See recipe card for quantities.
📖Substitutions & Variations
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Use butter - instead of using vegetable oil, use the same about of melted butter for a richer tasting cookie.
- Add Lemon Juice - make them extra lemony by adding up to a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice.
- Drizzle with glaze or icing - drizzle a nice lemon glaze or light icing over the cookies for a little extra sweetness.
- Make them chocolate - lemon and chocolate flavors go well together. Add some white chocolate or regular chocolate chips to really ramp these up.
- Make them creamier - whip in 8 oz of cream cheese and leave out an egg to really make these thick and chewy.
- Add sprinkles - make these more festive and colorful by mixing some sprinkles into the dough.
- Add vanilla - vanilla will help enhance the lemon flavor. You can add a teaspoon into the dough.
- Use lemon pudding - make them extra lemon flavored by adding in a box of instant lemon pudding.
Like easy cookies? Try out these peanut butter pancake mix cookies too!
Follow these easy step-by-step directions and process shots to easily bake up a batch of these chewy and delicious lemon cake mix cookies.
Step one: Get the oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Also, spray the cookie sheet with some cooking spray or spread a thin layer of butter on it to grease it if it is not a non-stick pan.
Step two: Pour the lemon cake mix into the mixing bowl.
Step three: Add in the eggs and vegetable oil to the mixing bowl.
Note: if you are adding lemon juice, lemon extract or lemon zest, now is the time to do so.
Step four: using a whisk or large spoon, mix everything together well.
Place cookie dough into the freezer for 20 minutes or fridge for 40 minutes to chill. This step is optional, but will help keep your cookies from spreading.
Step five: use a tablespoon and scoop heaping tablespoons of dough into balls. They should be about 1.5 tablespoons worth.
Step six: roll each ball of dough into powdered sugar so that it is coated (this is optional)
Step seven: place each ball of dough a few inches apart on the greased or non-stick cookie sheet. Bake cookies at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 - 10 minutes. Or until edges are firm.
Hint: make sure not to overbake these. The edges should be firm, but centers still a little soft when you remove them from the oven. The centers will continue to bake and firm up as they sit and cool.
⭐Recipe Tips for Success
- Use Room Temperature Eggs - using room temperature eggs allows them to mix in with the other ingredients faster and easier which can also help the cookies rise instead of spread while baking.
- Chill the dough - these can tend to spread and be a little flat if you're not careful, help avoid that by chilling for 20 mins in the freezer or 40 mins in the fridge.
- Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon - make sure the cookies are evenly sized which will help them bake more evenly by measuring out each ball of dough with a cookie scoop or tablespoon.
- Don't overmix - don't overmix your dough, this can make the cookies become flat and spread. Just mix it enough to get everything well combined.
Storing baked cookies: you can store these cookies for up to a week as long as they are kept in an airtight container.
Freezing: if you won't use them all before a week is up, you should freeze them. Simply put them in a freezer bag or airtight container and place in the freezer for up to a year. Defrost by setting on the counter at room temperature overnight or you can microwave them for 15 seconds.
You can also make lemon brownies, lemon cheesecake bars, lemon muffins and so much more from lemon cake mix.
Yes, if you want to use a different flavor cake mix, you certainly can. Red velvet, yellow and funfetti are some favorites here.
There could be a few reasons your lemon cake mix cookies spread and get flat: you could have overmixed the batter, added too much liquid or not allowed the dough to chill.
Yes, they can be made in advance and kept in an airtight container for up to a week.
Lemon Cake Mix Cookies
- cookie sheet
- Mixing bowl
- Large spoon or spatula
- Measuring Cup
- Measuring Spoon or Cookie Scoop
- 1 box Lemon Cake Mix
- 2 Eggs
- ⅓ Cup Vegetable Oil
- ⅓ Cup Powdered Sugar optional
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Extract, Lemon Juice or Lemon Zest optional
- Grease the cookie sheet with butter or cooking spray if it it not a non-stick sheet.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add the lemon cake mix to the mixing bowl.
- Add 2 eggs and ⅓ cup of vegetable oil to the cake mix in the bowl.
- Mix all ingredients well until they are thoroughly combined.
- (optional) Place dough in freezer for 20 mins or fridge for 40 minute to chill.
- Remove dough from freezer and use a tablespoon to scoop heaping balls (about 1.5 tablespoons each) of dough and roll them tightly.
- (optional) Roll each ball of cookie dough in powdered sugar.
- Place the balls of cookie dough a few inches apart on the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes or until edges of the cookies are firm.
- Allow cookies to cool (centers will continue to cook and firm as they cool). Then, enjoy.
- Don't overmix dough - only mix the dough enough to combine everything well, this will help keep cookies from spreading while baking.
- Chill to prevent flat cookies - chill the dough for 20 mins in the freezer or 40 mins in the fridge to keep cookies from spreading and getting flat
- Add lemon flavor - mix in 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, lemon extract, lemon zest or even a box of instant lemon pudding to really ramp up the lemon flavor.
- Add some extra sweetness - drizzle cookies with a glaze or icing. Or, add in some white chocolate or regular chocolate chips.
- To store cookies: keep cookies in an airtight container at room temperature or in the fridge for up to a week.
- To freeze cookies: place cookies in a freezer bag or airtight container and freeze for up to a year. Defrost on the counter at room temperature or heat for 15 seconds in the microwave.