These Reese's puff cereal treats are the perfect combination of chocolatey peanut buttery sweet marshmallow goodness. They are so easy to make and perfect for most any snacking or dessert occasion.
What are Reese's Puffs Cereal Treats
Reese's Puffs cereal treats are super easy and delicious three ingredient no bake dessert bars. Reese's Puffs are peanut butter and chocolate flavored crunchy balls of cereal. And of course, as with any cereal treat, you add in a lot of gooey sticky marshmallows.
These cereal bars are so easy to put together. You can have a batch ready to eat and 15 minutes or less. They're like most of our other cereal bars such as kix bars, corn flakes, corn pops, and honeycomb.
One trick or tip to making the perfect cereal bars is to watch the size of the cereal bites. Since Reese's Puffs are larger in size than Rice Krispies which is the traditional cereal used in these bars, we do need to use a little more cereal or a little less marshmallow in order to get the perfect ratio.
These Reese's puff cereal bars are perfectly delicious with just cereal, marshmallows and butter. However, if you want to spice them up a little bit here are a few other ideas:
- Top with chocolate: to add an extra chocolatey goodness, you can melt some chocolate either in the microwave or on the stove top and then drizzle it on top of the bars.
- Melt in peanut butter cups: need more chocolate and peanut butter taste added in, simply grab some mini peanut butter cups melt them either in the microwave or on the stove top and mix them in to the marshmallows.
- Melt in chocolate chips: overflow the chocolate flavor by taking a cup of chocolate chips and melting them in the microwave with your marshmallows.
How to Make these treats
These treats are made almost exactly like the original Rice Krispie treat recipe is with just a few tweaks for the size of the cereal.
- 7 Cups Reese's Puff Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
What you gathered together your supplies and your ingredients you can get started melting your butter and marshmallows together.
To melt them together you can do it either in the microwave or on the stove. The stove is slower at around 8:00 or 10 minutes while the microwave is faster around 2 minutes or so. However the stove gives you a little more control over how much heat you use which can make the marshmallows better.
In the microwave:
- grab your microwave safe bowl and add your four tablespoons of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Place your bowl full of butter and marshmallows into your microwave and heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and stir well. Your marshmallows will be puffed up at this point.
- Place the bowl back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds at a time stirring between each feeding until your marshmallows are well melted.
In a pot on the stove:
- grab your pot and place four tablespoons of butter in it.
- Put your pot and butter on the stove at low heat. Stirring occasionally until butter is melted.
- Once butter is melted, add your 16 oz of marshmallows. Continues stirrng frequently until marshmallows are well melted.
Now we're going to add in our cereal. Take a measuring cup and measure out 6 and ½ to 7 cups of cereal.
You can start with six to six and a half start up and then add to the amount you feel is best for your desired texture.
Due to the fact that the Puffs are larger size than Rice Krispies you do need more cereal and an original treats but the amount you use is up to your desired ratio.
Stir your cereal into your butter and marshmallow mixture well. You want all of the cereal thoroughly and consistently combined with mixture.
Now, grab your pan. Make sure it has been greased well before you get started. Also grab your well-greased spatula.
Go ahead and pour the marshmallow and cereal mixture from your bowl or pot into your pan. Lightly press it into the pan so that it is an even thickness throughout.
Set your pan aside to cool. This takes typically around 30 minutes. You can place it in the fridge or freezer if you want to speed up cooling.
Once cool, take a greased knife and cut into 16 even bars. Your cereal treats are now ready to enjoy!
If you're looking to make the best possible cereal treats and here are some pro tips to follow:
- Use fresh, unopened marshmallows: marshmallows that are stale will cause your treats to be harder than desired. So, make sure you use fresh marshmallows when making treats.
- Don't over stir or overheat: overheating your marshmallows can result in the becoming brittle and stiff and your resulting treats will not have desired chewy texture. Additionally, stirring too hard it can crush your cereal which will also result in a compact harder bars. So, make sure that you carefully fold ingredients in instead of stirring briskly and only heat marshmallows as much as necessary to melt them.
- Grease all the things: the marshmallow mixture will be extremely sticky and can honestly be difficult to work with. If you make sure to grease your bowl, spatula, pan and anything else that will be touching your marshmallow treats it will be a lot easier to work with them.
- Storage: you can store your treats for around 5 days in an airtight container at room temperature. If they won't be eaten in this time frame, you can freeze them in freezer bags for up to 6 months.
Reese's Puffs Cereal Treats
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- 9x13 Pan
- Measuring Cup
- 16 oz marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted butter
- 7 Cups Reese's Puffs Cereal
- Gather you equipment and ingredients before getting started.
- Grease your pan and spatula with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt you butter and marshmallows together either on the stove or in the microwave
- Add 16 oz of Marshmallows and 4 tbs of butter to bowl.
- Heat butter and marshmallows for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Stir them well and heat for another 30 seconds.
- Continue heating and stirring until marshmallows are melted.
- Add 4 tbs of butter to a pot
- Turn stovetop on low and heat your butter.
- Stir butter occassionally until almost totally melted.
- Add 16 oz of marshmallows to the pot with butter.
- Stir frequently until almost totally melted.
- Remove from heat and continue stirring until marshmallows and butter are totally melted and combined.
- Measure 7 cups of Reese's Puffs cereal and slowly add to your marshmallow mixture.
- Once thoroughly combined, use spatula to move mixture from bowl into pan.
- Gently press treats into pan so that they are an even thickness.
- Set pan aside to cool for around 30 minutes.
- Use a knife to cut into 16 square treats.