How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love corn flakes you have to try them mixed with marshmallows and these easy corn flakes treats. These no bake dessert bars are perfect for any occasion including regular desserts.
What are Corn Flakes Cereal Treats
Corn flakes cereal treats are a combination of corn flakes cereal, butter and marshmallows. They’re easy no bake three ingredient dessert bars that you can get mixed up and 15 minutes or less.
These cereal treats, much like other cereal bars such as Life cereal bars, corn pops treats, and Reese’s puff cereal bars are a variation of the original Rice Krispie recipe. The main difference is that due to different size cereals you may need to use more or less cereal than you use for rice krispies.
Regular old corn flakes are absolutely delicious in these bars. However, if you’re looking to mix it up a little here or a couple other ideas for you:
- Use frosted flakes – frosted flakes cereal treats are almost exactly like corn flakes however they have a little extra sweetness from being frosted.
- Use strawberry puree corn flakes – these are your traditional corn flakes with chunks of strawberry puree added in for a fruit flavor.
- Use corn flakes with honey – these corn flakes have an additional touch of honey in them for an extra sweet pop.
- Use corn flakes with honey and almonds – these again start with regular corn flakes but the cereal has honey and slices of almonds added in as well for a little sweet and nut crunch.
How to Make these treats
The cereal treats are super easy to make. You can have them already to go and just about 15 minutes.
- 6 Cups Corn Flakes Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Start out by grabbing your supplies and ingredients so you have everything ready to go. You will also want to pre-grease your pan, spatula and bowl or anything else it will touch you and marshmallow mixture.
For greasing you can use either a non-stick cooking spray or a pad of butter. The butter tends to have a bit of a better flavor but takes a little longer to smear it around on everything.
Next, you’ll want to melt up your butter and your marshmallows. You can do this either on the stove top or in the microwave.
If you choose to microwave your Rice Krispies treats this method goes significantly faster, but it gives you less control over how much heat you’re applying to your marshmallows.
In the microwave:
- This should only take a few minutes to get everything melted.
- Add your 4 tablespoons of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a dish that is safe to microwave.
- Start by heating for 30 to 60 seconds. Then, stir well.
- After stirring, heat for another 30 seconds and then stir again. Repeat this process until your marshmallows are well melted.
On the stove:
- Start by adding four tablespoons of butter to your pot.
- Heat your butter in your pot on low stirring occasionally until it is completely melted.
- Next, add in 16 oz of marshmallows continue stirring frequently on low until marshmallows have melted.
Now, measure out 6 cups of corn flakes. You’ll then dump these into your marshmallow and butter mixture.
Some cereals other than Rice Krispies take more cereal due to the difference in size. However, corn flakes tends to do pretty good with the traditional six cups. If, you would like a little bit of a sturdier bar, you can add about an additional ¼ cup of corn flakes.
Gently and carefully stir your cereal and with your marshmallow mixture until everything is thoroughly and consistently combined.
Now, add your cereal to your greased pan and easing your greased spatula gently press it down into the pan until it is an even thickness throughout.
set your pan aside while everything cools. This can take upwards of 30 minutes or so.
If you want to speed the cooling up, you can stick it in the freezer or fridge but make sure not to leave it too long or your treats will get hard.
When cool, slice your treats with a greased knife into 16 even bars and enjoy!
- Stir marshmallows well: the marshmallows will pop up greatly while being heated, it’s important to stir them frequently to push them back down so that the butter gets mixed in well and the marshmallows are evenly heated so no one spot gets overheated while melting.
- Don’t crush your cereal: when you’re mixing your cereal in you want to make sure it is evenly mixed but also you don’t want to crush it. To do this, you may want to try folding rather than traditional stirring.
- Try brand name marshmallows: we’ve used several different brands of marshmallows including publix, Kroger and Jet Puff. The Jet Puff marshmallows tend to be less sticky and a little easier to work with than the other brands. This isn’t to say that the other brands don’t work just as well, however, you’ll need to make sure to grease things better and let them cool a little longer.
- These treats can last for around 5 days.
- They should be kept in an airtight container.
- Room temperature storage results in the best texture. If you put them in the fridge they will get a little hard.
- If these won’t be consumed in around 5 days, you can wrap them put them in freezer bags and freeze them for upwards of 6 months.
Corn Flakes Cereal Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 16 oz marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Corn Flakes Cereal
- Get your supplies and ingredients together and pre-grease your spatula and pan.
- Melt your marshmallows and butter together in the microwave or on the stove.
- Measure 4 tbs of butter and add it to your pot.
- Place your pot and butter on low heat.
- Stir occassionally while heating.
- When the butter is almost melted, add in 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Keep heating on low, but stir frequently.
- Remove from heat when marshmallows are almost melted. Continue stirring until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Measure and add 16 oz of marshmallows and 4 tbs of butter to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat them for 30 – 60 seconds in the microwave.
- Stir well and place back in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Repeat stirring and heating until marshmallows and butter have fully melted.
- Slowly add your 6 cups of corn flakes while stirring them into your marshmallow mixture.
- Once cereal and marshmallows are thoroughly combined, slowly move the mix from your bowl to your pan.
- Lightly press the treats into you pan so they are a consistent thickness.
- Let treats cool for around 30 minutes.
- Use a greased knife to cut the pan of treats into 16 servings.