How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Corn pops treats are full of sweet, crunchy and marshmallowy goodness. These chewy easy to make treats are a perfect dessert bar for any occasion.
What are Corn Pops Treats
Corn Pop treats are the perfect combination of corn pops cereal, butter and marshmallows. They are a chewy and delicious three ingredient no bake dessert bar. You can have these treats ready to go and around 15 minutes.
Corn pops are essentially corn that is sweetened and puffed up into circular ball-shaped cereal. They have the perfect mix of sweet and crunch all rolled into one.
Corn Pop treats are like other cereal treats such as Reese's puffs, honeycomb cereal , kix cereal treats and Apple jacks cereal bars. You simply take original Rice Krispies treat recipe and substitute a new cereal.
The main difference between new serial treats and original recipe is the size of the cereal. Due to the fact that corn pops are slightly larger instead of using six cups like you do in Rice Krispie treats we're going to be using seven cups of cereal.
How to Make these treats
With just three ingredients and no baking needed these treats are super easy to make. They'll be ready in no time.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 7 Cups Corn Pops Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Start out by grabbing your ingredients and your supplies. Then, you'll want to make sure that you pre-grease everything that will be touching your marshmallow as well since they are so sticky.
To grease you can use either butter or nonstick cooking spray. The non-stick cooking spray is quicker, but the butter tends to taste better.
Next up is melting your marshmallows and butter. You can do this one of two ways. You can choose to melt them on the stove or you can choose to melt them in the microwave.
The microwave method takes approximately two or three minutes while the stove method takes around 8 minutes. The benefit for using the stove is that you can better control your heat leaving you with more accurately melted marshmallows and better textured treats.
How to melt in the microwave:
- Toss four tablespoons of butter as well as 16 oz of marshmallows into a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat your marshmallows and butter in the bowl in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Take your bowl out of the microwave and stir everything well.
- Pop your bowl back in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between until your marshmallows have melted.
How to melt on the stove:
- First take four tablespoons of butter and put it in a pot.
- Place your pot on the stove top at low heat.
- Stir occasionally until butter is fully melted.
- Add your 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Stir frequently leaving on low heat until marshmallows have completely melted.
Now to add your cereal. Measure out 7 cups of corn pops and pour into your butter and marshmallow mixture.
For typical Rice Krispie treats we use 6 cups, but since corn pops are larger size bites they take more cereal to get the correct ratio. If you like sticky or treats you can add a little less than 7 cups and if you like sturdier treats you can add a little more.
Carefully and gently fold your cereal into your butter and marshmallow a mixture until everything is consistently mixed.
Next, take your pan. Make sure it is greased well. And pour your marshmallow cereal mixture into the pan.
Gently press the mixture down until it is evenly distributed throughout.
Set the pan aside to crack. It can take upwards of 30 minutes or so. To expedite cooling, you can place in the freezer or refrigerator.
Once your treats have cooled, use a greased knife to cut into 16 even bars.
- Don't heat your marshmallows too much: overheating your marshmallows causes them to become stiff resulting in hard and brittle treats. Only heat them long enough for them to melt and only use the amount of heat needed not more.
- Slowly add your cereal: dumping your cereal and all at once can become difficult to start with the marshmallows. If you add about ⅓ to ½ at a time and stir it is much easier to make sure everything is coated thoroughly.
- Don't press too hard: when putting your cereal into the pan, don't press it down too hard. If things are pressed too hard the cereal can crunch down and the treats will become more compact and hard than you desire.
- Use an airtight container to hold your treats.
- Make sure they stay at room temperature. Too hot or too cold can make them hard or melt.
- They should stay good for around 5 or so days.
- If storing for longer than five or so days, you can freeze your corn pops treats by wrapping them and putting them in freezer bags.
Corn Pops Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 7 cups Corn Pops Cereal
- Get your supplies and ingredients gathered up and ready.
- Grab some butter or some non-stick cooking spray and grease your spatula and pan well.
- Toss 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a bowl.
- Heat in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- After heating, stir the butter and marshmallows together.
- Heat for another 30 seconds and then stir.
- Repeat the stirring and the heating until your marshmallows are well mixed and melted.
- Note: You can also melt them together on your stovetop, see above in the post for instructions for the stovetop.
- Slowly mix in 7 cups of corn pops with your melted marshmallows.
- Transfer your cereal and marshmallow mixture from your bowl into your greased pan.
- Use your greased spatula to gently press the mixture into your pan.
- Set the pan of treats away for about 30 minutes so that they can cool.
- Once the treats have cooled, cut them into 16 even square servings.