How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Honeycomb marshmallow treats are perfectly chewy and delicious. These cereal treats are super easy to mix up and leave you with a chewy, crunchy, honey and sweet flavor.
What are honeycomb marshmallow treats?
Honeycomb marshmallow treats are a combination of marshmallows, butter and honeycomb cereal. These three ingredient no bake dessert bars can be made in just around 15 minutes.
Honeycomb cereal is a sweetened, puffed out in corn cereal that has a flavor of Honey added in. Each piece of cereal is shaped like a honeycomb.
These cereal bars are just as easy to make as other cereal bars such as Apple jacks marshmallow treats, Honey nut Cheerios treats and regular Cheerios treats. The ratio of cereal to marshmallows is slightly different than that of the original Rice Krispie treat recipe due to the larger size of the cereal pieces.
These marshmallow treats are perfect as is, but if you want to add a little pizzazz to them here are a few ideas:
- Add a drizzle of honey: if you want it over the top honey flavor, you can take some honey and drizzle on the top of your treats.
- Add a drizzle of chocolate: you really can't overdo chocolate. Honey and chocolate is a delicious flavor combination. So, try melting some chocolate chips and then adding a drizzle of chocolate to the top of your treats.
- Add a dash of spice: some classic pairings with honey include cinnamon and vanilla. If you want to flavor these cheap treats a little more, you can either add vanilla to your marshmallow mix or a little sprinkle of cinnamon.
How to Make these treats
These treats are just as easy to make as original Rice Krispie treats. You don't have to be a great baker to end up with great treats.
- 7 Cups honeycomb Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Gather together your pot or microwave safe bowl, pan, spatula, butter, honeycomb cereal and marshmallows.
Also, before you get started, make sure that you have greased anything that will be touching the marshmallow as well. You can use a non-stick cooking spray to grease or you can use a pad of butter to grease.
Now, on to melting your marshmallows and butter. In order to do this you can use either a microwave or your stove.
On your stove:
- This should take somewhere in the range of 8 to 10 minutes to complete.
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter to a pot.
- Place your pot on your stove tops and turn the heat to low.
- Stir occasionally to help your butter melt.
- Once your butter has fully melted, add in 16 oz of marshmallows to your pot.
- Stir frequently while the marshmallows melt to ensure that they melt evenly and quickly.
- Remove from heat as soon as marshmallows are melted.
- This should take around 2 to 3 minutes to complete.
- Add your 4 tablespoon of butter as well as your 16 oz of marshmallows into a microwave safe bowl.
- Stick your bowl with the marshmallows and butter into your microwave.
- Heat for around 30 to 60 seconds.
- Take out of the microwave and stir everything together. Marshmallows will be extremely puffy at this point.
- Stick your bowl back into the microwave and heat for 30 seconds at a time.
- Stir between each heating.
- You're done when your marshmallows are melted.
Next up, we're going to add your cereal to your marshmallows and butter. Measure out 7 cups of honeycomb cereal.
Add in about ⅓ of your Total cereal and fold into your marshmallows. Then add another third fold that in and finally at the last of your cereal pieces and fold that as well.
Note: different brands of marshmallow have different consistencies. And our experience, for example, Kroger marshmallows tend to be extremely liquid and sticky.
So when you are slowly adding your cereal you can gauge to see if you have enough cereal to marshmallow ratio. We used Jet Puff marshmallows for this recipe. Other brands of marshmallow may do better with slightly more or slightly less cereal.
Next, grease your spatula and pan well. Take your marshmallow and cereal mixture from your bowl and place it into your pan.
Gently and carefully press the mixture into your pan until it is an even consistency throughout.
Set your pan of treats aside to let them cool. This can take upwards of 30 minutes.
When they have cooled fully, grease up a knife and cut your treats into 16 even squares. Now it's time to enjoy!
Tips and Storage for treats
- Proper storage: for best results, store your treats in an airtight container at room temperature for 5 days and give or take a few days. If you will not finish your treats in this time span, you should wrap them in wax paper, put them in freezer bags and freeze them for later.
- Slowly add your cereal: when you are mixing your cereal in with your marshmallows, you want to be sure to add it slowly so you can check the consistency of your treatment. Additionally, it's important to do this slowly so that you don't crush the cereal which will result in more compact and hard bars.
- Let your marshmallows cool a bit: you don't need to let the marshmallows cool a ton before adding a cereal, or it will be too difficult to fold them together. However, you don't want your marshmallows to be piping hot when you add the cereal either or it can melt or cause the cereal to get soggy. Usually by the time you've measured your cereal out your marshmallows are cool enough to add it.
Honeycomb Marshmallow Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 7 cups Honeycomb Cereal
- Get your ingredients and supplies ready and gathered together.
- Put 16 oz of marshmallows and 4 tbs of butter into a microwave safe bowl.
- Put the bowl with butter and marshmallows into the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- After the heating, stir things well.
- Put the bowl back in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir again.
- Repeat the heating and stirring until the marshmallows and butter are combined and melted.
- Note: you can also melt them on the stovetop, for those instructions, see above in the post.
- Slowly put 7 cups of Honeycomb cereal into the marshmallows while stirring.
- Make sure the cereal gets evenly coated in marshmallows.
- Use the spatula to move your treat mixture from your bowl into your pan.
- Continue to use the spatula and press your treats down into the pan so that they are an even thickness.
- Put the pan of treats aside for 30 minutes to cool.
- Cut your treats into 16 squares.