How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Fill your Rice Krispie Treats with M&Ms and create the most wonderfully delicious M&M Rice Krispie Treats.
These colorful M&M Rice Krispie Treats give you a blast of chocolate that will melt in your mouth and not in your hands thanks to the candy coating.
How to Make M&M Rice Krispie Treats
These M&M Rice Krispies Treats are the perfect blend of original rice krispie marshmallow yum with that added blast of candy coated chocolate.
If you know how to make rice krispie treats, you'll be able to knock these out of the ballpark. Adding M&Ms is a super easy step that completely changes both the look and taste of these treats.
I have been on a rice krispie making roll recently and these are ones that have been one of my absolute favorites. I'm not gonna lie, they didn't stick around in our house for more than two days.
They work awesome for a little something extra without going completely over the top. If you are wanting something totally over the top, these Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats are sure to hit the spot!
You only need four easy (and not too expensive) ingredients and about 30 minutes to whip these treats up.
- 10 oz M&Ms
- 10 - 12 oz Marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
There are several ways to make these treats a little different each time, or to have them fit perfectly for different occasions. Let's take a look at the different ways you can switch up the ingredients below:
- Mini M&M's: you can use mini or full sized M&Ms in these. Of course both taste the same. The mini's are what we used. They tend to be a little less crunch, but more evenly spread flavor throughout the treats.
- Peanut Butter M&Ms: or any other flavor of M&Ms can be used in place of regular M&Ms. Of course, whatever type of M&M you use will effect your end flavor of your treats.
- Holiday Themed M&Ms: If you are looking to make holiday rice krispie treats, then you can pick up specific holiday themed M&Ms to use. For example, they make red and green Christmas ones and a red, pink and white mix for Valentine's Day.
The first thing that you'll need to do is to get your butter and marshmallows mixed together. In order to do this, you'll need to melt them well.
You can choose to melt them either on the stove top in a pot or in a microwave safe dish in the microwave.
I typically use the microwave if I am short on time and use the stove if I'm not. Using the stove gives a bit more control over how fast and how much the marshmallows get melted.
In the Microwave: Toss your 4 tbs of salted butter and 10 oz of marshmallows together into a microwave safe dish. Microwave them for 30 - 60 seconds to start, then remove them, stir quickly and put them back in for 30 second intervals until the marshmallows are completely melted. This doesn't usually take more than a minute or two depending on the heat of your microwave.
On the Stove:
You'll have to melt the butter first. Do this on low heat. Then, add in your 10 oz of marshmallows and stir regularly while they melt. Leave it on low heat to melt them. This can take 8 -10 minutes.
PRO TIP: Whichever way you choose, you'll want to keep a good eye on the marshmallows. If you heat them too long, they will get too hard and your treats won't have the right texture.
After melting and mixing your butter and marshmallows together, you'll want to add your Rice Krispies in. You don't have to be in a huge rush, but don't wait too long as the marshmallow mixture will start to harden.
Dump in 6 cups of rice krispie cereal and use your spatula to mix it up a little.
Dump in your 10 oz of M&Ms. As long as your marshmallows are not piping hot, the M&Ms shouldn't melt. Make sure to stir the M&Ms in so that they are distributed evenly.
Note: if the marshmallows are still super hot, the M&Ms will actually pop open as the chocolate melts.
Take a spatula that so greased with non stick cooking spray (or you can use butter) and start spreading your mixture into a pan (which should also be greased).
You will want to be sure and spread the mixture as evenly as possible. So that your treats will be even sized. Try not to press down on it too hard or you will bust your M&Ms.
Once you've let your treats cool off (around 30 minutes), you can cut them into squares and enjoy!
M&M Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Glass Pan
- Pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 4 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 10 - 12 oz Marshmallows
- 10 oz M&Ms
- Put your butter and marshmallows together in bowl and melt in 30 - 60 second intervals in the microwave. You can also melt them on the stove in a pot.
- Stir in Rice Krispies Cereal well.
- Stir in M&Ms thoroughly.
- Spread your treats into a greased pan and let cool for 20 - 40 minutes.
- Cut into squares and then they are ready to eat.