How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
What's better than chewy and soft rice krispie treats? Adding chocolate for chocolate dipped rice krispie treats. These cute treats are perfect for party favors, dessert tables or even just some snacking.
What are chocolate dipped rice krispie treats?
Chocolate dipped rice krispie treats are your traditional rice krispie treats - a combination of butter, marshmallow and rice krispie cereal - dipped in chocolate which then hardens and dries on the outside of the treats. These are simple to make 4 ingredient dessert bars which can be ready in about 20 - 30 minutes.
One of the cool things about rice krispie treats is that they come in so many variations. These chocolate dipped rice krispie treats are perfect for serving for everything from a sweet afternoon snack to take home party favors to fancy themed desserts at a dessert table.
And, of course, besides being delicious, they are also so easy to make that you can easily whip up a large batch in very little time. And, you don't have to be a fancy chef or baker to end up with cute little treats with a big taste.
A note about what chocolate to use for dipping your treats in. For this recipe we used candy melts for a fast and easy dipping experience. There are other ways to melt chocolate for dipping such as simply melting chocolate on the stove or in the microwave or tempering your chocolate.
While you can use regular melted chocolate on these treats, you won't end up with that typical hardened glossy or shiny finish that you imagine when thinking about chocolate dipped foods. So, if you aren't using candy melts, we do recommend going through the extra steps to temper your chocolate if you want that perfect hard, crunch of a dipped treat.
There are a lot of different ways you can flavor, decorate or change these treats up. Here are a few ideas:
- Add Sprinkles: there are so many different kinds of sprinkles, from your traditional multi-colored long sprinkles to larger round sprinkles to themed sprinkles like bats for Halloween and chick shapes for Easter. Pick out what your favorite sprinkles are and add them over the dipped chocolate.
- Add mini M&Ms: take some of these colorful candy coated chocolates and add them as the chocolate dries. Unless you chose to make large treats, you should probably use mini M&Ms so they aren't overwhelming in size.
- Add chopped nuts: nuts mixed with chocolate is a pretty traditional and widely liked flavor combination. Chop up some peanuts, walnuts or whatever your favorite nut may be and sprinkle on the top of your chocolate as it dries. Make sure to chop them finely.
- Add shredded coconut: sprinkle on some shredded coconut after you dip your treats for an added sweet and tropical flavor.
- Make colored treats: when you make your treats add some food coloring and make your treats different colors such as green, orange or purple.
- Make rice krispie treat pops: before dipping your treats, stick them on paper straws or lollipop stick so you have dipped rice krispie treat pops. This variation is particularly good if you are making them as party favors because this makes them easy to bag and put a decorative tie on.
- Use different chocolate: for this recipe we used dark chocolate, but you can use white chocolate or milk chocolate as well. Try out different kinds for the different flavors.
- Decorate them: cut your treats out with cookie cutters, or use decorative gel icing, candies, eyeballs and other things to turn your treats into different themes like monsters or mickey mouse.
- Add edible glitter: add a fun sparkle to your treats by adding some edible glitter to them.
- Use other cereal: you don't have to only use rice krispie cereal, try out any cereal that is your favorite to change up the flavor.
How to Make these treats
These treats are easy to make, but do take a bit more time that regular rice krispie treats due to the time it takes to melt the candy melts. The extra time is definitely worth the chocolate taste.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Food Coloring
- Decorative Icing
- Candy Melts
To get started you need to first gather all of your supplies into one area. Then, you need to pre-grease your spatula, pan and anything else that your marshmallows will be touching. You can use either butter or non-stick cooking spray to do the greasing.
Next, you'll need to melt your butter and marshmallows together. You have two choices to do this step. You can either use your microwave or you can use your stove top.
Using your microwave is considerably faster taking just a few minutes. Using the stovetop does take up to 10 minutes. However, using a stovetop allows you to better control the heat both an amount and time and can lead to better texture in your treats.
On the stove top:
- To melt together your butter marshmallows on the stove, start by adding four tablespoons of butter into a pot or pan.
- Turn your burner on to low or medium low heat and then place your pot on your burner.
- Make sure to stir occasionally as your butter melts.
- Once your butter is almost totally melted go ahead and toss in your 16 oz of marshmallows to your pot.
- Keep your burner temperature at the same setting but increase the amount of stirring you do.
- Once your marshmallows are almost completely melted, remove them from the heat and continue stirring until they have finished melting together with your butter.
In the Microwave:
- To do the melting in the microwave toss together your 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows and heat them for 30 - 60 seconds to start.
- Once heated, remove from the microwave and stir well.
- Place back in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring in between until your marshmallows and butter have thoroughly melted.
Next, you need to add your cereal into your melted marshmallow and butter mixture. Measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal and slowly add it into your marshmallows. Use your spatula to fold the cereal together with your marshmallows until you have added all the cereal and thoroughly combined it.
Now, you need to move your treat mixture into your pan. Use your spatula to transfer the serial marshmallows from your bowl into your pre-greased pan. Press the treats gently with the spatula into the pan until you have a consistent thickness throughout the pan.
You now need to let your treats cool. This usually takes around 30 minutes. Once your treats it cooled you can cut them into 16 squares.
Now get your chocolate ready. Take your candy melts, place them in a microwave safe bowl and heat at 50% power for a minute. After heating, remove from the microwave, stir well. Then continue heating at 50% power increments for 30 seconds at a time and stirring well in between heatings.
Do this until the chocolate is melted and can be used to dip the treats into.
Now, you can use a fork, tongs, you can hold the treats with your fingers, or you can stick lollipop sticks in each treat. However you choose to hold the treat, go ahead and dip each treat into the chocolate. After dipping, tap or scrape the excess off on the edge of the bowl. Then lay each treat on wax paper without them touching.
If you are planning to add sprinkles or other decorations, do it now, before the chocolate hardens.
You do need to work a little fast so that the chocolate doesn't cool off and start to harden.
- Use Fresh Marshmallows
- Dry them Completely
- Double Dip
- Don't leave Puddles
- Melt Chocolate carefully
- Keep them separate
To dry dipped rice krispie treats, they need to be laid out individually for several hours at room temperature. Make sure they are not overlapping or they will stick together.
Yes, you can freeze chocolate covered rice krispie treats. Make sure to wrap them individually in wax paper and placing them in freezer bags. Or, you can flash freeze them by placing them separated on a cookie sheet and freezing completely, then adding them to freezer bags.
Chocolate covered rice krispie treats can last for around 5 - 7 days when kept in optimal conditions which is room temperature in an airtight container. If you freeze the treats, they can last well over 6 months.
No, chocolate covered rice krispie treats do not need to be refrigerated. Just be sure they are in an airtight container at room temperature. If they are in a temperature that is too hot, they may start to melt.
Chocolate Dipped Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- 2 Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- Fork, tongs or paper straws/lollipop sticks
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Candy Melts
- sprinkles, candies or any other toppings
- Gather up your supplies and ingredients.
- Pre-grease your spatula and your pan with either butter or a non-stick cooking spray.
- Toss your 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add bowl to microwave and heat for 30 - 60 seconds, stir well after heating.
- Heat again for 30 seconds and stir well. Continue this cycle until marshmallows are melted and combined with butter.
- note: you can also do the heating on the stovetop, to do this, follow instructions in post above.
- Get 6 cups of rice krispie cereal and slowly start to pour it into the bowl with the marshmallows while folding it in.
- Once you had added and combined all of your cereal, move your treats from the bowl into the pre-greased pan.
- Press the treats down gently with the spatula until they are all the same thickness.
- Allow treats to cool in the pan for around 30 minutes.
- Cut treats with a knife. Regular sized treats will give you 16 squares. If you want to create bite sized or rice krispie pops, you will want to cut treats even smaller which will result in more servings.
- Take you candy melts and melt them in the microwave for around a minute at 50% power. Stir well and then heat again for 30 seconds. Make sure to use 50% power still. Continue heating and stirring until they are melted.
- Use either a fork, tongs or the stick of your rice krispie pop to carefully dip your treats into the chocolate. Be sure to tap off excess chocolate when removing the treat from the bowl.
- If adding toppings such as sprinkles, add those now.
- Lay treats out on wax paper to dry before serving.