How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Try these giant rice krispie treats out at your next big get together. Or, just make this large batch and eat some now and save some for later. You can make so many more treats, but get the same soft, chewy texture in every bite.
What are Giant rice krispie Treats?
Giant rice krispie treats are simply the normal combination of rice krispie cereal, butter and marshmallows, but on a large scale. Gone are the batches of just 8 or 16 treats – make an entire sheet of 32+ treats all at once with these.
If you need a high volume of treats for multiple servings at a party, or perhaps you want to make extra and save some for later, either way, these giant rice krispie treats work perfectly. They’re made generally the same as original rice krispie treats, but with a cookie sheet for maximum treats.
The instructions below will make you about 40 treats with the same soft and chewy texture as original recipe treats. However, you may want to mix it up a little and here are a few ideas for that:
- Double the Thickness: similar to homestyle rice krispie treats, you could double your ingredients below, still use a cookie sheet to lay them out on and have a huge sheet of double thick treats.
- Change ingredients: you could make special diet treats like dairy free treats, coconut oil treats or healthy treats – just use different ingredients, but the same amounts below.
- Add Mix-ins: make your treats flavored with by making M&M treats, pumpkin spice treats or any other flavor you desire, but make them on the giant scale.
- Make them even more giant: really want to scale up your treats? Double, triple or even quadruple the ingredients below and then spread them out and shape them on wax paper since they will be too big for a cookie sheet.
How to Make these treats
These treats are super easy to make, you only need three ingredients and about 10 – 15 minutes of your time. No baking or decorating is required.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- Cookie Sheet
- 12 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 32 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 8 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Make sure you have everything you need in order to make your treats: butter, cereal, marshmallows, spatula, cookie sheet and pot or microwave safe bowl.
You will need to use some butter or a non-stick cooking spray to grease your spatula and cookie sheet. If you have a non-stick cookie sheet, you can skip the greasing (unless you want to be extra sure your marshmallows won’t stick).
As you get started, you first need to melt and mix your butter and marshmallows together. This can be done by using the stovetop or the microwave.
Melting and mixing them in the microwave is considerably faster and takes on a few minutes. Using the stovetop is longer at around 10 minutes, but does give you more control over how much heat and how long the heat is applied which can lead to a better texture for your treats.
Using the Microwave:
- Take your 32 oz of marshmallows and 8 tbs of butter and toss them into your microwave safe bowl.
- Set your microwave to heat for 30 – 60 seconds.
- After heating, remove the bowl of marshmallows and butter and stir.
- Heat for another 30 seconds, remove and stir.
- Continue this cycle until your marshmallows are melted.
Using the Stovetop:
- Take your 8 tbs of butter and toss them into your pot.
- Set your stove to low and heat your butter while stirring once in a while.
- When the butter is almost melted, add in your 32 oz of marshmallows.
- Keep heat on low, but now stir frequently.
- When the marshmallows are almost melted, take off the heat, but keep stirring until they have completely melted.
After butter and marshmallows are totally melted and mixed together, begin to slowly add in 12 cups of cereal. You should do this a little at a time so that it is easier to get things thoroughly combined.
After your rice krispie cereal is thoroughly and consistently mixed with the marshmallows, use your spatula to move the mixture from your bowl onto your cookie sheet.
Lightly use the spatula to press out the mixture so that it fills the entire cookie sheet at the same thickness across the sheet.
Finally, you can cut into square treats. Before cutting, make sure to let the sheet of treats cool so they are easier to cut without having them stick to everything and fall apart. Cooling time is usually around 30 minutes, but can be sped up by putting them into the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
- Just Melted, not more: Make sure that your marshmallows are melted, but not heated any longer than necessary. Overheated marshmallows have their sugar crystalize which causes them to become stiff when results in harder, crunchier treats.
- Fresh and New Marshmallows: if you use marshmallows that are stale due to being old or already opened they will also become stiff which results in harder, less soft and chewy treats.
- Don’t Smash Your Mix: if you press the mix onto the cookie sheet too hard, it will make the treat mixture more compact making your treats a bit hard. While you do want it compressed a little so that it sticks together in a cohesive way, you don’t want it all packed together too hard.
- Proper storage: you can store your treats in an airtight container or ziplock bags at room temperature for around 5 or so days.
- Freezing your treats: if you won’t finish your treats in around 5 days, you can freeze them for later by wrapping them individually or flash freezing them and then storing them in freezer bags in the freezer.
Giant Rice Krispie Treats
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- cookie sheet
- 32 oz Marshmallows
- 8 tbs Salted Butter
- 12 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Gather your ingredients and supplies before getting started.
- Melt your butter and marshmallows together either in the microwave or on the stove. Stove directions are in the post above, microwave melting directions to follow here.
- Put 32 oz of marshmallows and 8 tbs of butter into a bowl and heat for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir together well.
- Put back into microwave and heat for 30 seconds.
- Remove and stir together well again.
- Keep heating for 30 seonds and stirring until butter and marshmallows are completely melted and mixed together.
- Once melted, slowly add in 12 cups of rice krispie cereal and stir it together thoroughly.
- Use spatula to spread and lightly press your treat mixture onto your cookie sheet
- Let it cool for around 30 minutes, then cut into even sized squares.