How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Coconut oil Rice Krispie treats are a slight variation on original recipe treats. They are equally chewy, sweet and delicious with a little touch of coconut flavor.
What are coconut oil rice krispie treats?
Coconut oil Rice Krispie treats are simply a combination of Rice Krispies cereal, coconut oil and marshmallows. This is a slight variation on original recipe rice Krispie treats where you replace the butter for coconut oil.
Coconut oil is considered a dairy-free alternative to butter. Coconut oil comes in refined and unrefined varieties. The unrefined variety tends to have a little bit of a stronger coconut flavor. Either one works great in these treats just be aware of what you want the ultimate flavor to be.
These treats are similar to our dairy-free Rice Krispie treats which use a dairy-free butter in place of butter.
These cereal treats are perfect as is, but if you want to add a little flavor here a few ideas:
- Add some shredded coconut: capitalize on the coconut flavor using unrefined coconut oil and then add a little shredded coconut either to the top of your treats or in with your batter.
- Add some chocolate chips or other mix-ins: these work just like with original recipe, you can add one cup of mix-ins such as chocolate chips or m&M’s to flavor your treats.
- Change up the cereal: you can also make other cereal treats with coconut oil instead of butter. Simply replace the Rice Krispies cereal other cereals such as Lucky charms and fruit loops.
How to Make these treats
These treats are simple to make and can be whipped up in 10 to 15 minutes. They’re just as easy as original recipe rice Krispie treats and follow all the same steps.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Coconut oil
Make sure you have everything to ready to go including your Rice Krispies cereal, marshmallows, coconut oil, spatula, pan and pot or microwave safe bowl.
Due to the stickiness of the melted marshmallows you will also want to make sure that you grease everything.
Typically, we use butter or non-stick cooking spray to grease, however if you want to keep these dairy free you can simply use some coconut oil to grease your spatula and pan or use non-stick cookware.
Now you don’t need to melt your coconut oil and your marshmallows together. This can be done by using a microwave or by melting them in a pot on a stove.
Melting in the microwave:
- Go ahead and put your coconut oil and 16 oz of marshmallows together in a microwave safe bowl.
- Place your bowl into your microwave and heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Check on your mixture and stir everything well.
- Place your bowl back into your microwave and heat for 30 seconds.
- Stir your mixture again.
- Repeat heating and stirring until your marshmallows are thoroughly melted.
Melting in a pot on the stove:
- first, place your coconut oil into your pot.
- Turn your burner on to low heat and place your pot on to it.
- Start your coconut oil occasionally as it melts.
- Once your coconut oil has started to melt well add your 16 oz of marshmallows to your pot.
- Keep your heat at low, but start to start frequently so that you keep your marshmallows mixing with your coconut oil.
- Once your marshmallows get close to being fully melted remove the pot from the heat.
- Continue to stir marshmallows and coconut oil together until everything is melted and well combined.
Measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal. And slowly add your cereal to your oil and marshmallow mixture.
You don’t want to dump all the cereal in at once or can be difficult to fold it all together. As you fold the cereal in slowly make sure that everything is evenly coated in marshmallow.
No, take your pre-greased pan and use your greased spatula to move the cereal and marshmallow mixture from your bowl into your pan.
Once the entire mixture is in your pan, use your spatula to gently press it down into the pan so that the thickness is pretty consistent.
Your treats down into cool before cutting them. Set them aside for around 30 minutes. If you want to speed the cooling up, you can place them in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes.
Use a greased knife to cut your treats into 16 even squares once they have thoroughly cooled.
- Use new marshmallows: marshmallows that are either old or have already been open can become stale. You want to make sure that you have fresh new marshmallows so that you have the right texture and consistency in your treats.
- Don’t overheat anything: marshmallows contain a large amount of sugar and went overheated that sugar will crystallize. This leads to stiff marshmallows once they have cooled which contributes to your treats becoming hard and compact. Make sure to only use just enough heat to melt your marshmallows and not more. Stirring frequently throughout heating and removing the marshmallows from the heat before they are completely melted helps to get them melted just right.
- Store them well: these treats can last for up to 5 to 7 days when captain and airtight container or Ziploc bag at room temperature. If you will not eat them in this time frame, you should wrap them individually in wax paper place them in freezer bags and freeze them for later.
Coconut Oil Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Coconut Oil
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Get all of your necessary supplies and ingredients gathered up.
- Use some coconut oil, butter or non-stick cooking spray to grease your pan and spatula.
- Melt together your coconut oil and marshmallows in the microwave or on the stovetop. Microwave directions to follow below; stovetop directions in the article above.
- Add 16 oz of marshmallows and 4 tbs of coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl.
- Measure out 6 cups of rice krispie cereal and slowly add some to your marshmallows.
- Stir the cereal in and add more. Keep doing this until you have coated all of the cereal evenly with marshmallows.
- Get your pre-greased pan ready and add your marshmallow, coconut oil and cereal mixture to it.
- Use your spatula and lightly press the mixture into the pan.
- Set pan aside to cool. Typically this takes around 30 minutes.
- Grease a knife and use it to cut 16 square treats.