How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
What could be better than chewy marshmallow treat goodness? Add some chocolate in, of course! If you also love chocolate chip cookies then you will definitely love chocolate chip Rice Krispie Treats!
How to make Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
Chocolate chip Rice Krispie Treats are easy to make 4 ingredient cereal treats. They don't require any baking and can be whipped up in just about 15 minutes. These treats have all the chewy marshmallow goodness that traditional rice krispie treats do, but with an added burst of chocolatey flavor everyone is sure to enjoy.
These treats are just as simple as any other add-in treats such as M&M Rice Krispie Treats, butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats and Oreo Rice Krispie Treats. You just have to toss the chocolate chips in with your original recipe.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
After you have gathered together you supplies and ingredients, you need to pre-grease everything. The marshmallow mixture is super sticky and is difficult to work with if you don't have things well greased.
You can use a pad of butter and run it over you pan, bowl, and spatula. Or you can spray some non-stick cooking spray all over them. The spray tends to leave a bit of a taste, but is quicker and easier to work with.
In order to melt your butter and marshmallows together you can do it on the stove top or do it as is done for Microwave Rice Krispie Treats.
On the stove method:
- Grab your pot
- Turn the heat to low or medium-low.
- Add 4 tbs of butter, and stir frequently until melted.
- Add 16 oz of marshmallows and stir frequently until melted.
- Remove from heat.
In the microwave method:
- Grab your microwave safe bowl.
- Add your butter and marshmallows
- Heat for 30 - 60 seconds. Remove and stir well.
- Heat again for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until marshmallows are melted.
Measure our 6 cups of rice krispies cereal and pour them into your marshmallow and butter mix. Use your greased spatula to mix everything together well.
Keep stirring until the cereal is all thoroughly coated and the mixture is consistent throughout. Then set it aside to let it cool.
You really only want to allow the mixture to cool enough that the chocolate chips won't melt when you pour them in. Usually this is under 5 minutes.
It's important because if it's too hot, the chips will just melt and will have chocolate throughout the mixture instead of having individual chocolate chips mixed in.
Once your batter has cooled enough, you will add in your chocolate chips. Instead of mixing as usual, you will want to try and fold them into the Rice Krispie Treat batter as best you can. It is a bit tough to work with since the marshmallow is so sticky and likes to harden as it gets cooler.
Also, be sure not to over mix, if you can keep from moving the chips around too much, then even if they melt, you will still have your individual little pockets of chocolate and will keep it from just turning into a full chocolate recipe.
Now, grab you pan and get your mixture set into it.
Scoop your Rice Krispie Treat batter into your pan. Use your spatula to flatten them out until they fill the bottom of the pan.
Take out your ¼ cup of chocolate chips you set to the side and sprinkle them across the top of your treats. Use your spatula to gently press them down into the mix.
Set the entire pan to the side and allow to cool. After they have cooled, use a sharp knife and cut them into roughly 2x2 squares. You should be able to get about 15 or 16 treats depending on how big you cut them.
Serve and enjoy!
- Store for up to 5 days.
- Keep them at room temperature, super cold temperatures make them hard and too hot will melt them.
- Use an airtight container.
Tips for Awesome treats
- Don't melt your chocolate chips: the whole point of these it to have actual chocolate chips in them, not just chocolate overall. To make sure they don't totally melt, let your mixture cool well before adding them in.
- Use new marshmallows: stale marshmallows will result in hard, not chewy treats. Make sure you use fresh, unopened marshmallows for your treats.
- Don't heat too much: overheating your marshmallows and butter results in hard, compact treats. Stir well while they are melting to help disperse the heat and have them melt evenly.
- Grease it up: this mixture is super sticky. Grease everything you are going to touch with it.
Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- Add the butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- Allow to cool for a few minutes so chocolate chips won't melt when added
- add in bag of chocolate chips and fold into mixture. Save ¼ cup of chips to side for later.
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- sprinkle ¼ cup of chocolate chips on top and gently press them into the batter with your spatula
- Allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes), cut into squares and enjoy!