How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Did you know you can make Rice Krispie Treats in about half the time? You can have the chewy, delicious treats you know and love in just a few minutes by making microwave Rice Krispie Treats!
How to make Microwave Rice Krispie Treats
Microwave Rice Krispie treats are super easy to make, they take about 10 minutes from start to finish. They taste just like treats made on the stove top, but when you have a sugar craving and want it right away (or, maybe you are just in a time crunch), it's so much faster to pop everything in the microwave (like with mug rice krispie treats or small batch rice krispie treats) than to wait for butter and marshmallows to slowly melt on the stove top.
What's great, is this method works with ANY Rice Krispie Treat recipe regardless of the add-ins or type of cereal. So, you can whip up Lucky Charms Bars, Oreo Rice Krispie Treats, Chocolate Chip Rice Krispie Treats, or even our S'mores Rice Krispie Treats just to name a few.
- Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Before getting started, you want to make sure that you have your supplies and ingredients ready to go. You also want to pre-grease everything.
The marshmallows get insanely sticky when you melt them and it is difficult to work with your mixture if you don't have things greased well. You can use butter or non-stick cooking spray to grease things with. The butter is best flavor wise, however the non-stick cooking spray tends to be a little faster, easier and more consistent of a coating.
Whichever one you choose, coat your spatula, bowl and pan with it so that you are ready to go.
Take a large mixing bowl. We like to use a glass/pyrex bowl that is also microwave safe. The microwave safe part is really important. You don't want something that is either going to get blazing hot or something that will explode in your microwave.
Place your 4 tablespoons of butter in your bowl and also pop your 16 oz of marshmallows in the bowl with your butter.
Put the bowl in the microwave. Start with 30 - 60 seconds and then take the bowl out and stir everything up well.
Pop it back into the microwave and heat at 30 second intervals, stirring well in between each 30 seconds. It should only take a few minutes for everything to melt well.
You can tell when they are ready by their texture. If they are not quite melted enough, they will still feel a bit more solid. You will want them to feel melted and easy to stir around, but not overly liquidy as they may become overheated.
Now, things will be a lot like making Rice Krispie Treats the way you are used to. Take your marshmallow butter mix and add in 6 measured cups of Rice Krispies cereal.
Stir everything together until everything is thoroughly mixed together. It will almost look like you have a marshmallow web holding all of your Rice Krispies together.
Now, take out your 9 x 13 baking pan. You will also want to get out your non-stick baking spray. We like to use Canola oil but Pam or any other flavorless spray will work. Spray the bottom and sides of your pan with the baking spray.
With a spatula, scoop all of your marshmallow batter from the bowl and into the baking pan. With the same spatula you can flatten out your mix into the bottom of the pan.
Now, set the entire mix to the side and allow it time to cool.
Once your Rice Krispie Treats have had enough time to cool you can cut them (it's not cheating if you put them in the fridge or freezer, b-t-dubs). Use a sharp knife and cut into a 3 x 5 or 4 x 5 grid; depending on if you want 15 or 16 total servings.
Last, and most importantly, enjoy!
How to store your treats
- Store at room temperature. Colder temperatures, like in the fridge, cause them to harden.
- Keep them in an airtight container.
- They should last 3 - 5 days.
Tips for Perfect treats
- Don't overheat: it is easy to overheat your marshmallows which results in less chewy, more hard treats. So, only heat them long enough to get them melted, no more.
- Use Brand Name, new marshmallows: though any brand of marshmallow does work fine, we have found Jet Puff to have the best consistency. Some store brand are either a little stale on the outside at purchase or over sticky when melted. Also, make sure you get fresh marshmallows, not ones that you have had sitting around for a while. Stale ones result in hard treats.
- Don't over stir, but mix well: If you stir the cereal in too vigorously, it can get crushed which will make your treats more compact. So, try to fold the cereal in. However, you do want to make sure that you get it all mixed in thoroughly so it is an even consistency.
- Don't squish your treats: pressing your mixture into your pan too hard can create hard and compact treats, so just press it down gently.
- Grease, Grease and more Grease: these are super sticky, grease everything super well so that you don't end up with a huge mess and can actually work with your treats.
- Double the recipe and make two full batches. Then you can consider freezing Rice Krispie Treats for later.
Microwave Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- Add the butter to microwave safe bowl and heat for about 1 minute
- add in 16 oz bag of marshmallows and heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Check halfway through heating to make sure marshmallows are not overcooking.
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- Allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes), cut into squares and enjoy!