How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a super quick, single serving dessert treat? Try out these mug rice krispie treats, just as good as a full batch, but super quick and no cleanup necessary.
What are mug rice krispie treats?
Mug Rice Krispie treats are the traditional soft, chewy combination of butter, marshmallows and rice krispies made completely in a cup or mug in the microwave. This super simple, one serving dessert can be whipped up in a minute or less and doesn't require anything other than a spoon and a mug.
This single serving dessert recipe is perfect for if you need a sweet treat whipped up super quick and don't want something elaborate that requires time or cleanup. It is perfect for an impromptu sweet snack late at night or even midday if you need something special. You can also make small batch rice krispie treats if you need more than a single serving.
These mug treats are so gooey and delicious, they really don't need anything added to them, but if you are feeling like adding some extra oomph, try out these ideas:
- Use different cereal: you don't have to stick with just rice krispie cereal, you can use lucky charms, corn pops or any other cereal you prefer.
- Add sprinkles: get a dash of flash by adding in a few sprinkles. They'll add some color and a little crunch to your treats.
- Add Chocolate chips: everything is better with chocolate. Add a handful of chocolate chips. They will melt right in and leave you with a delicious mug of chocolate treats.
- Add M&Ms: the melt in your mouth not in your hands, candy covered chocolates are a perfect addition to your treats.
How to Make these treats
If it's even possible, these treats are even quicker and easier to make than regular old rice krispie treats. They take less than half the time and leave you with only a mug and spoon to wash when you are done.
- Measuring Cup
- 1.25 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 6 Jet Puff Marshmallows
- ½ Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Get your mug, spoon, measuring cup, butter, marshmallows and cereal gathered up.
*optional: rub a little butter or give a spray of non-stick cooking spray to the inside of your mug to help keep your treats from sticking to the sides.
Take your mug and toss your ½ tbs of butter into it.
Count 6 marshmallows out (regular sized) and toss those into the mug with your butter.
Measure 1 and ¼ cup of rice krispie cereal and toss that into your mug with your marshmallows and butter.
Pop your mug into the microwave for 20 - 30 seconds to melt everything together. Remove, and stir well. Then, enjoy!
- Don't overheat: this small amount of marshmallows is easy to overheat, make sure to start just with 20 seconds and add 5 or 10 if you need to. Otherwise your marshmallows will get hard and the texture of the treats won't be as good.
- Grease the inside of the mug: the treat mixture will stick to the insides of the mug if you don't grease it. If you want it to be easier to mix up and clean when you are done, just rub a smidge of butter around the walls of your mug before getting started.
- Add a little more: if you use a different type of cereal where the pieces are larger than rice krispie (for example: cocoa puffs), use just a little more cereal so the mix is a good consistency.
Mug Rice Krispie Treats
- Measuring Cup
- ½ tbs Salted Butter
- 6 Marshmallows
- 1.25 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Get your ingredients and supplies ready to go.
- (optional) lightly grease the inside of your mug with a little butter or a few sprays of non-stick cooking spray.
- Put ½ tbs of butter in the mug.
- Put 6 marshmallows in the mug.
- Put 1.25 cups of rice krispie cereal in the mug.
- Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Remove and stir. If not fully melted, add another 5 seconds of heating and stir; repeat til fully melted.