How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you’re looking for a quick no-bake dessert but only need to serve a few people, try out these small batch Rice Krispie treats. Would these treats you’ll have enough for four people and won’t have to deal with storing or freezing any leftovers.
What are small batch rice krispie treats?
Small batch Rice Krispie treats are made exactly like original recipe rice Krispie treats with marshmallows, butter and Rice Krispies cereal. However, for these treats we cut the recipe down to usually ¼ of the amount of ingredients so that you just have a small batch of treats.
These small batch Krispie treats are perfect for small gatherings of just a few people when you don’t want to deal with any leftovers. They also work well if you only have a little bit of marshmallows left and want to use them up. Or if you need to make it impromptu and fast dessert treat for after family dinner.
Though these treats taste delicious as is, there are several ways you can mix them up if you want to add a little to them. Try out some of these ideas:
- Use coconut oil: looking for a slightly different flavor or perhaps you want to go dairy free, use coconut oil in place of the butter to make coconut oil Rice Krispie treats.
- Use I can’t Believe it’s not butter: looking for dairy free Rice Krispie treats, try out I can’t Believe it’s not butter it’s vegan in place of the butter in this recipe.
- Add some M&Ms: make some small batch M&M treats by adding a quarter cup of M&M’s to your mix. You can also add other mixins such as chocolate chips, sprinkles or anything else you can think of.
- Add a dash of color: make some colored Rice Krispie treats by adding a couple drops of food coloring to make green rice krispies, pink Rice Krispies or any other color you desire.
How to Make these treats
These treats are made similarly to our mug Rice Krispie treats where you use the original recipe and cut the ingredients down. You should be able to toss these together in 10 minutes or less.
- 1.25 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows ( around 10 marshmallows, but each brand and size can vary in weight)
- 1 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Gather together your ingredients and supplies. Then, you’ll also want to free grease your spatula and Pyrex.
You can use butter or nonstick cooking spray to grease your equipment. Whichever you use make sure to get a good thick coating on everything so that your marshmallows don’t stick too much.
To get started you’ll need to melt your butter and your marshmallows together. This can be done via the microwave or via the stove top.
The microwave method is much faster than the stovetop method, but the soup pot method gives you more control over how much heat you apply to your marshmallows.
- Grab one tablespoon of butter and around 4 oz of marshmallows and toss them into a small microwave safe bowl.
- Put your bowl with your ingredients into the microwave and heat for around 20 to 30 seconds.
- Remove bowl from the microwave stir well and place back in for an additional 20 to 30 seconds.
- At this point your marshmallows are likely almost totally melted, stir them well until they finish melting and are well combined with the butter.
Stove top instructions:
- Grab your one tablespoon of butter and add it to your pot.
- Turn your burner on to low and place pot on the burner.
- Stir butter once in a while as it melts.
- Once butter is almost fully melted, add your 4 oz of marshmallows.
- Heat butter and marshmallows on low, but stir marshmallows frequently.
- Once marshmallows are almost completely melted remove from heat and continue stirring until everything is melted and combined.
Measure 1 and ¼ cups cereal and slowly added into your marshmallows while stirring. It’s important not to dump your cereal all in it once or it can be difficult to combine it with your marshmallows.
Take your pre-greased spatula and use it to pour your mixture from your bowl into your pyrex. Gently press the mixture into the Pyrex until it is evenly distributed.
Allow your treats to cool before cutting and serving. This should only take 20 minutes or so. You can pop them in the fridge for a minute or two to help if you would like.
Of course you can cut and serve right away, the treats will just be a little less sturdy and a little more sticky.
Take a knife that has been greased and use it to cut your treats into four servings.
- Skip the bowl: with these small batch treats if you want to expedite clean up and you’re using the microwave method, it’s a small enough amount of marshmallows that you can melt the marshmallows and butter in your Pyrex and mix your cereal straight in the same bowl.
- Hand form treats: if you want to use a bowl or pot to melt your butter and marshmallows, but don’t have a Pyrex to press them into you can simply lay out some wax paper and form your treat with your spatula in hands there.
- Be extra cautious with heat: due to the small amount of marshmallows that you are melting, you need to be extra cautious with how much heat and how long they’re heating them for. It will be very easy to overheat these marshmallows and end up with stiff, hard treats.
- Work fast: well you don’t have to be frantically fast about mixing your treats, due to the small amount it is important to work your cereal in and get your treats pressed out quickly. Because your marshmallows will also cool quickly causing them to become more difficult to work with.
Proper treat storage
- Although it’s only making it for treats it is unless you want to store them in case you do need to store them they will last for around 5 days.
- They should be kept in a sealed ziplock bag or an airtight container such as a Pyrex that has a lid on it. You could simply keep them in the Pyrex that you cool them in as long as you use one that comes with the lid.
- To maintain best texture, keep them at room temperature. Putting them in the fridge can keep them hard and keeping them in a room that is too hot to make them fall apart and be melty.
Small Batch Rice Krispie Treats
- Small rectangular Pyrex
- Pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- measuring cups
- 10 Marshmallows
- 1 tbs Salted Butter
- 1.25 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Grab your ingredients and supplies.
- Toss around 10 marshmallows and 1 tbs of butter into a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat them together in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Remove and stir them well.
- Heat again for 20 – 30 seconds and stir. Marshmallows should be well melted. If not, you can do an additional heat cycle.
- Measure and add 1.25 cups of cereal to your marshmallows.
- Gently fold the cereal into your marshmallows.
- Take the cereal and marshmallow mixture and put it into your rectangular pyrex. If you don't have one, you can simply press and shape the treats on a plate or on wax paper.
- Let the treats cool for 15 minutes or so. You can pop in the fridge to cool faster for a few minutes if wanted.
- Use a knife which has been greased and cut into 4 treats.