How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for some fun and colorful Rice Krispie treats? Try out these pink Rice Krispie treats. They’re super easy to make and work well for the Valentine’s day, anniversaries or even baby showers and birthdays.
What are pink rice krispie treats?
Pink Rice Krispie treats are a combination of marshmallows, butter, Rice Krispies cereal and pink food coloring. They are easy to make four ingredient no bake dessert bars.
With their bright pink color, these Rice Krispie treats suit a variety of occasions well including Valentine’s day, anniversaries, birthdays and even baby showers. These colored Rice Krispie treats are also the basis of some other themed treats such as heart-shaped Rice Krispie treats.
These pink treats are super fun and easy to make. For our instructions below we simply use pink food coloring. However, here are a few other ideas:
- Strawberry Rice Krispie treats: you can use strawberry Rice Krispies instead of regular rice krispies and for the food coloring as you will have pink Rice Krispies that taste like strawberry.
- Use watermelon jello: you can use Jello in your Rice Krispie treats and it will flavor the treats and color it the color of jello. Watermelon Jello is a pink color which will result in pink treats.
- Use Pink starburst jello: Pink starburst Jello tastes like strawberry Starbursts and has a pink color. If you add a little of this Jello to your treats you’ll get a flavor and color to match.
- Make your own pink food coloring: if you don’t have pink food coloring, you can use red and yellow food coloring to make a pink color.
- Add other colors also: you can make pink and gold treats or layer them with other colors for a rainbow treat.
How to Make these treats
Making the cereal treats is as easy as the original recipe treats. Much like orange rice krispie treats, purple Rice Krispie treats, and green Rice Krispie treats you simply make the original treats and add food coloring.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Food Coloring
Start out by making sure that you have your food coloring, rice krispies, marshmallows, butter, pan, spatula and pot or microwave safe dish. The marshmallows tend to be extremely sticky so you will also need to grease.
You can use either non-stick cooking spray or butter to do the greasing. Alternatively, you could use a non-stick pan and non-stick spatula to work with your marshmallow.
You will need to next melt together your marshmallows and butter. This can be done via the microwave or in a pot on the stove.
- The microwave method is the faster of the two taking only a few minutes.
- Toss together your four tablespoons of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows using a microwave safe dish.
- Put your dish with your butter and marshmallows into your microwave and heat everything for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Once the timer goes off remove your dish and stir everything together.
- Now, heat at 30 second intervals making sure to stir in between until your marshmallows are almost completely melted.
- Finish up by stirring your butter and marshmallows well to finish the melting and make sure they are well combined.
Stove top treats:
- Grab your pot and four tablespoons of butter.
- Turn your stove top on low and place your pot on a burner.
- Heat your butter on low and stir it occasionally while it melts.
- Once your butter is mostly melted add in 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Leave your heat at low to melt your marshmallows.
- Make sure to stir your marshmallows frequently as they will puff up as the heat.
- When your marshmallows get mostly melted remove them from the heat.
- Stir well until marshmallows finished melting and combine completely with the butter.
Go ahead and grab your pink food coloring. Add drops of coloring into your marshmallow mixture and stir It up until you have the shade of pink you desire.
Now it’s time to add your cereal. Measure 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and slowly add that to your butter and marshmallow mixture.
It’s important to add the cereal slowly and not all at once so that you can more easily stir everything together.
Note: once you’ve added your cereal if your pink color is too light you can add more food coloring and stir it in. The color of the Rice Krispies sometimes mutes or even yellows the color a little bit.
Now take your greased spatula and use it to remove your cereal marshmallow mixture from your bowl and put it into your greased pan.
Use your spatula to gently press the mixture into the pan so that it is an even thickness throughout
Before cutting your treats, you will need to let them cool. This should take around 30 minutes. You can speed up the cooling by placing them in the freezer or fridge for a minute or two.
Use a knife that has been greased to cut your treats in the 16 squares.
- Add extra color: when you add the food color to your marshmallow mixture make it a smidge darker or more vibrant than your desired end color because when you add a cereal it will lighten the color some.
- Don’t crush the cereal: make sure not to crush your cereal while you mix it into your marshmallows or while you press it into your pan. Crushed cereal will lead to harder more compact treats.
- Heat just a little: if you overheat your marshmallows they will become stiff due to crystallized sugar which will lead to hard and compact treats. Heat them to where they are almost melted and then remove them from the heat and stir them to complete melting.
Storing your treats
- These can be kept at room temperature for best quality and texture. If they are kept in the fridge they will get cold and become hard. If they are kept in a room that is too hot they can get melty.
- Keep them in an airtight container such as a Pyrex with a lid or a ziplock bag that has been zipped shut
- They should last around 5 days or so.
- If it’s going to take you longer than that to eat them, individually wrapped them in wax paper place them in freezer bags and freeze them to eat later.
Pink Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- pink food coloring
- Start by grabbing all of your supplies and ingredients.
- Next, grab some butter or some non-stick cooking spray and pre-grease your pan and your spatula.
- Then, you need to melt your marshmallows together with you butter. For melting on the stovetop, see directions in the article above. For melting in the microwave, see below.
- Take your microwave safe dish and add 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows to it.
- Use the microwave to heat the butter and marshmallows for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Once heated, go ahead and stir them together well.
- After stirring, use the microwave to heat them again for 30 seconds.
- After that 30 seconds, stir them together again.
- Keep doing the 30 second heat, then stir until your marshmallows are fully melted.
- Now, take your pink food coloring and add some to your marshmallows.
- Stir the food coloring in and add more if you want a darker/different color. note: when you add the cereal in the next step it will lighten your color some, so you may want the color a littler darker than your desired end color.
- Measure 6 cups of rice krispie cereal.
- Slowly pour some of the cereal into your pink marshmallows.
- Stir the cereal in, then pour in more. Continue this until you have mixed all the cereal in well.
- Take your pre-greased pan and transfer your pink cereal and marshmallow mixture into it.
- Gently press it down so that the treat mixture is about the same throughout the pan.
- Put your pan aside to cool, about 30 minutes.
- Grease a knife and use it to cut your treats into 16 squares.