How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
With St Patrick’s Day approaching, you may be looking for a fun themed treat. These green rice krispie treats are absolutely perfect for the occasion!
How to Make Green Rice Krispie Treats
These green rice krispie treats are a fun colored rice krispie treat made with the original rice krispie recipe and some added food coloring. It is a super fun and easy way to spice up your treats. By adding the green color, it makes these perfect for St. Patricks Day.
One of the cool things is that you can decide just how colorful you want them to be by adding more or less food coloring to the mixture.
How to make these treats
These no bake treats are super easy to whip up as they only take 4 ingredients. You can have them ready to go in under an hour including cooling time.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Food Coloring
First, you’ll need to get your butter and marshmallows prepared. In order to do this, they will need to be melted.
To melt your butter and marshmallows, you have two options. You can do it on the stove top or in the microwave.
In the microwave: Combine 4 tbs of butter with 10 oz of marshmallows. Heat for 60 seconds and then stir well. Pop back in the microwave for 30 second intervals stirring between until the marshmallows are melted.
On the stovetop: Heat the 4 tbs of butter on low then add in 10 oz of marshmallows. Make sure to stir pretty constantly as the marshmallows melt on low heat. This will take around 8 – 10 minutes total.
Note: Make sure not to overheat the marshmallows as they can become stiff and difficult to work with. You’ll want to use low to medium heat on the stove or short intervals in the microwave.
Once your butter and marshmallows are melted, you’ll want to add in your food coloring.
For these, we wanted a light green, yellow/gold color. So, we didn’t use a ton of food coloring. We used about 4 drops of yellow and about 6 drops of green.
If you want a darker green, you can use more green and/or less yellow.
Make sure to stir it well so that the color is evenly distributed.
Mix your 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal into your green marshmallow mixture. Make sure to thoroughly and evenly mix everything together.
Finally, you’ll need to get your sticky treat mixture into a pan. Make sure you grease both the pan and the utensil (I prefer a spatula) youre using to transfer the mixture.
Spread everything out evenly and let it cool. It usually takes 20-40 minutes for the treats to cool well.
Here are some tips so that you can have the perfect green, gooey treats you are dreaming of.
- The Food Coloring Matters: If you really want a great colored treat then you should get a high quality food coloring. Wilton is one brand that works well. The first time we made colored treats we used the cheap store brand from the grocery store and the color was very muted.
- Adjust the Amount: One of the fun things about these is you can make them most any version of green you want. For super dark green add a lot of food coloring, for a lighter green mix in few drops of yellow.
- The Cereal Changes the color: the slightly yellow color of the cereal can yellow, mute and dim the green color of your marshmallow mix. You can either go slightly darker to start or just add another drop or two of color once you mix in your cereal. Just note that once the cereal is added it is harder to evenly mix the color in.
Green Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 10 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 1 tube Green Food Coloring
- Melt & Mix Butter and Marshmallows together. Either on low on the stove top. Or in 30 second increments in the microwave.
- Once melted, add and stir in the green and yellow food coloring. I did a very light/tinted green color for these. But you can add as much or as little depending on how much color you want.
- Add and stir in Rice Krispies cereal. Make sure that mixture is evenly distributed.
- Spread mixture into pan with greased spatula.
- Let treats cool for around 30 mins and then cut and enjoy!