How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Kix cereal treats are bursting with marshmallow sweetness and crunchy corn puffs. These dessert bars are perfect for afternoon snacking, desserts in a lunch, or even parties.
What are Kix cereal treats?
Kix cereal treats are a combination of marshmallows, butter and Kix cereal. These no bake dessert bars take only three ingredients and around 10 or 15 minutes to get them ready.
Kix cereal are sweetened whole grain corn pieces. They are shaped like little yellow puffs.
Kix has a fantastic flavor on its own as the original flavor. However, if you're looking to mix things up a little here are a few ideas:
- Use honey Kix: Honey Kix are much like regular kix except they have an additional honey flavor added in.
- Use very berry Kix: these Kix are the same shape as regular Kix, but they have a very flavor instead of a corn flavor.
- Add a chocolate drizzle: everything's better with chocolate. Melt down some chocolate chips and add a drizzle on top of your Kix cereal bars.
How to Make these treats
These treats are super easy to make. You don't have to be great baker or cook to end up with the perfect cereal treats.
- 7 Cups Kix Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
As you get started make sure you have your Kix cereal, butter, marshmallows, spatula, pan, microwave safe bowl or pot. You also need to make sure that you pre grease everything that will touch your marshmallow mixture.
To greas everything you can use butter or you can use non-stick cooking spray. The non-stick cooking spray is faster and tends to create a more consistent layer. But, the butter tends to taste a little better.
Next, you'll need to melt your marshmallows and your butter together. To do this, you can use the microwave or the stove top.
Melting on the stove:
- Take your pot and add four tablespoons of butter to it.
- Place your pot on a burner at low heat.
- Start occasionally until your butter is almost fully melted.
- Take your marshmallows and add 16 oz to your melted butter.
- Leave the burner at low heat and stir frequently.
- Remove the pot from the heat once the marshmallows are almost completely melted and give another couple stirs.
- This process usually takes around 8 minutes or so.
Melting in the microwave:
- Take your microwave safe bowl and add four tablespoons of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows to it.
- Place your bowl with butter and marshmallows in the microwave.
- Heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Stir everything together well.
- Heat again for 30 seconds and stir again.
- Repeat heating and stirring until marshmallows are melted.
- This method takes just a few minutes.
Measure out 7 cups of kix cereal. Slowly add ⅓ of your cereal to your butter and marshmallow mixture.
Fold your cereal and marshmallows together and then add more cereal. Continue this until you've added all of your cereal and thoroughly mixed everything together.
note: regular Rice Krispie treats use 6 cups of cereal. These treat bars call for an additional cup due to the fact that the serial pieces are much larger than rice krispies. Note that some brands of marshmallows are stickier than others and you may need to add a little less or a little more cereal to get the perfect consistency.
Take your pre-greased pan in your pre-greased spatula and move your marshmallow and mixture from your bowl into your pan. Gently press the mixture down until it is an even thickness throughout the entire pan.
Set your treatment aside until it is cold. This takes around 30 minutes. Or, you can place it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to help expedite the process.
Once your treats have cooled down, grease a knife, and cut them into 16 even bars.
Storage and tips
- Storing your treats: treats can last for upwards of five days give or take a few days. As long as they are stored properly and airtight containers at room temperature. If they won't be eaten by this time, place them in freezer bags and freeze them.
- Don't press too hard: when stirring your cereal and when putting it into your pan make sure you don't press too hard. Pressing too hard can crunch the cereal and cause your treats to be too compact and less chewy.
- Don't heat too much: if you overheat your marshmallows the sugar will crystallize creating stiff marshmallows which results in hard crunchy treats. Make sure you keep them only long enough to melt and use only enough heat to melt them not more.
Kix Cereal Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- Measuring Cup
- Microwave Safe bowl or Pot
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 7 cups Kix Cereal
- Get all of your supplies and your ingredients gathered together.
- Use butter or non-stick cooking spray to grease your pan and spatula.
- Use the microwave or stovetop to melt you butter and marshmallows together
In the microwave
- Add 16 oz of marshmallows and 4 tbs of butter into bowl that is microwave safe.
- Put bowl into microwave and heat for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Once heated, remove from microwave and stir.
- Put bowl back into microwave for 30 seconds, then stir again.
- Repeat heating and stirring until marshmallows and butter are melted.
On the stovetop
- Add 4 tbs of butter to a pot.
- Heat butter in pot on low.
- Stir the butter occassionally as it melts.
- When butter is almost fully melted add your 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Heat on low and stir frequently.
- When marshmallows are almost fully melted, remove from heat, but continue to stir until the completely melt
- Slowly add in 7 cups of Kix cereal while stirring.
- Make sure that you have your cereal evenly coated with marshmallow mixture.
- Move your cereal and marshmallows from your bown into your pan.
- Use your spatula to gently press the mixture down into the pan.
- Give around 30 minutes for your treats to cool before cutting into 16 even squares.