How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
The classic taste of Cheerios mixed with marshmallows results and super delicious Cheerios cereal bars. These cereal bars are easy to make and sure to be something everyone will love for snack or dessert.
What are cheerios cereal bars?
Cheerios cereal bars are combination of Cheerios cereal, marshmallows and butter. These no bake dessert bars made with just three ingredients can be whipped up and just around 10 to 15 minutes.
Cheerios are 100% whole grain oat cereal that is gluten free and just slightly sweetened. They look like Little O's
Cheerio marshmallow treats are made much like other cereal treats such as corn pops marshmallow bars, fruit loops marshmallow bars and apple jacks cereal treats.
Traditional regular flavored Cheerios work perfectly in these marshmallow bars. However, if you want to change things up a little here are a few different ideas to try:
- Honey nut cheerio bars: the taste of regular Cheerios with a little added honey and nut flavor.
- Multi-grain Cheerio bars: not just regular oats but several different grains in this cereal.
- Very Berry Cheerios: these Cheerios are strawberry, blueberry and raspberry flavored.
- Strawberry banana Cheerios: your typical Cheerios but flavored like strawberry and banana.
- Maple Cheerios: your oat based Cheerios flavored with a dash of maple.
- Cinnamon Cheerios: these Cheerios have a dash of cinnamon spice added.
- Chocolate peanut butter Cheerios: the classic combination of chocolate and peanut butter packed into a cheerio.
- Apple cinnamon Cheerios: perfect for fall time these Cheerios are combination of apple and cinnamon flavors.
- Blueberry Cheerios: if you love fruit you'll love this one. These Cheerios taste just like blueberries.
How to Make these treats
These are so simple and easy to make you don't have to be a baker or a great cook in order to make the perfect cereal bar. You can have these whipped up in no time.
- 6 - 7 Cups Cheerios Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Start off by getting together your cheerios, butter, marshmallows, spatula, pan and microwave safe dish or pot.
You also want to make sure that you pre-grease everything. The marshmallow mixture is particularly sticky and if you don't post things it's extremely difficult to work with.
You can use either some butter or a little nonstick cooking spray to do the greasing. The non-stick cooking spray tends to be a little faster and more consistently coat things while the butter tends to leave a better flavor.
Next what you need to do is melt your butter and your marshmallows. It is important that you do not over melt the marshmallows or you will wind up with hard treats.
To do this melting you can choose to use your microwave or you can melt things together on your stove top. While the microwave is considerably faster 2 to 3 minutes versus 8 to 10, the stove top allows you to have better control over the amount of heat you apply.
Use your microwave:
- Making microwave treats is considerably faster and this stuff will only take a few minutes.
- You can toss both your butter, 4 tablespoons, and your marshmallows, 16 oz, into a microwave safe bowl.
- Go ahead and put that bowl in the microwave and heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- When you take the bowl out of the microwave your marshmallows will be very puffed up. Stir them well and place back in the microwave.
- Continue heating for 30 seconds and then stirring an intervals until your marshmallows are pretty much melted.
- Remove from the microwave a final time and stir everything up so that they're thoroughly melted and combined.
Melt on the stove top:
- To do this you have to do your butter and marshmallows separately. Start with placing four tablespoons of butter in a pot.
- Place your burner on low and stir your butter occasionally until it is mostly melted.
- Add your 16 oz of marshmallows to the melted butter in your pot.
- Keep your heat on low and continue stirring frequently until your marshmallows are melted.
Measure out 6 cups of Cheerios. You will be slowly adding these to your butter and marshmallow mixture.
At around ⅓ of the total amount of Cheerios at a time and fold it into your marshmallows until all Cheerios have been used.
Note: Cheerios cereal pieces are bigger than your typical rice krispies. This means that particularly with some of the stickier brands of marshmallows you may need to add slightly more Cheerios to get the right ratio and consistency.
Once you have added your full six cups you can add another quarter cup at a time until you feel your mixture is correct. All Cheerios should be thoroughly coated in marshmallow but the marshmallow shouldn't be the dominant covering in the cheerios.
Take your pre-greased spatula as well as your pre-greased pan and dump your cereal and marshmallow mixture into your pan.
Gently and carefully press the mixture into the pan until everything is an even consistency and thickness.
Let your treats cool for around 30 minutes. Grease a knife and use it to cut your treats into 16 bars.
Tips for perfect bars and storage
- Stir marshmallows well: while you don't want to over your work your marshmallows because that can also lead to stiff treats, it is important to stir the marshmallow as well during heating. They will puff up a lot and you don't want them to get overheated. Doing frequent and continuous stirring will help to dissipate the heat spread it evenly and ensure that they melt without being heated too long.
- Don't smash into the pan: when you pressure treat mixture into your pan you want to make sure that while you are aiming for a thickness it's consistent across the entire pan you are not smashing the mixture. Smashing the mixture with too much pressure can crush the cereal and also lead to bars that are too compact and hard.
- Check your brand of marshmallows: marshmallows are not made equal. While all marshmallows can result in delicious and chewy treats, each brand of marshmallow tends to have different characteristics and flavors. We like to use jet puffed marshmallows because they tend to be more consistent and less sticky overall.
- Storing well: these treats when stored properly are good for upwards of five plus days. Make sure to store them in an airtight container and it room temperature for maximum freshness and texture. If you won't eat them within this time frame, then you should freeze them for later.
Cheerios Cereal Bars
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 7 cups Cheerios Cereal
- Get all of your supplies and ingredients together and ready to go.
- Use butter or a non-stick cooking spray and grease up your spatula and pan.
- Measure your 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows and add them to your microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave your marshmallows and butter for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Once they have heated, stir them up.
- Microwave them again for 30 seconds and stir again.
- Repeat this until your marshmallows and butter are melted and combined.
- Note: you can also melt them together on the stovetop, for those instructions see above in the post.
- Now, slowly add in 7 cups of cheerios, stirring as you add them.
- once your cheerios are evenly coated in marshmallow, move your mixture into your pre-greased pan.
- Use your spatula and lightly press your treat mixture down into the pan so that it is the same thickness across the pan.
- Let your treats cool for about 30 minutes so they are easier to cut.
- Take a knife and cut your treats into 16 squares.