How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Honey nut cheerio marshmallow treats are delicious no bake snack bars. They are the perfect combination of sweet and chewy with a little crunch.
What are honey nut cheerio marshmallow treats
Honey nut cheerio marshmallow treats are an easy combination of butter, marshmallows and Honey nut cheerios. These three ingredient dessert bars required no baking and can be ready in 10 to 15 minutes.
Honey nut Cheerios are 100% oat based cereal. Very similar to traditional Cheerios only with the added flavors of honey and nut. They are shaped like little O’s.
These cereal treats are made very similar to other cereal treats such as Life cereal treats, regular cheerio marshmallow treats and fruity pebbles cereal treats.
Honey nut Cheerios cereal treats are super delicious as is. But, if you’d like to mix it up a little here are a few other ideas:
- Chocolate Cheerios: these are exactly what they sound like Cheerios they’re flavored with chocolate.
- Very berry Cheerios: Cheerios that are flavored with blueberry raspberry and strawberry.
- Cinnamon Cheerios: delicious Cheerios packed with a cinnamon spice punch.
- chocolate peanut butter Cheerios: you can’t ever go wrong with chocolate peanut butter flavor combination.
- Honey vanilla Cheerios: similar with that honey flavor but with an added vanilla kick.
How to Make these treats
To make these treats we simply use the original Rice Krispie treat recipe and substitute out Rice Krispies for Honey nut cheerios. The only other difference with these treats is the need to add slightly more cereal due to the fact that the cereal is a little bit larger.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 7 Cups Honey Nut Cheerios Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
You’ll need to first make sure you have your Honey nut cheerios, butter, marshmallows, spatula, bowl and microwave safe dish or pot.
Also before getting started, you need to make sure that you pre-grease all of your supplies. To do this, you can use butter or nonstick cooking spray. The nonstick cooking spray tends to be faster and create a more consistent coating, but the flavor isn’t as good as the butter.
Now, we can get to melting. You want to melt both your butter and your marshmallows together. To do this you can use the stove top or the microwave.
The stove top:
- This method takes around 8 to 10 minutes.
- Take your pot and add four tablespoons of butter to it.
- Place your pot on the burner and turn the burner to low heat.
- Stir your butter occasionally as it melts.
- Once your butter is mostly melted, add your 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Continue heating on low heat and stir frequently.
- Remove from heat once marshmallows are almost completely melted. Stir extra to ensure marshmallows and butter are thoroughly combined and melted.
- This method takes just a few minutes.
- Place your butter and your marshmallows into a dish that is safe to use in the microwave.
- Microwave butter and marshmallows for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove from the microwave and stir everything well.
- Heat for 30 seconds again and then start again.
- Repeat heating and stirring until marshmallows are thoroughly melted.
Measure out 7 cups of Honey nut cheerios. Slowly add the Cheerios into your butter and marshmallow mixture.
As you add the Cheerios, fold them into the mixture until everything is thoroughly and evenly coated.
Note: Cheerios are larger than Rice Krispies and therefore we need a little more cereal than in the original Rice Krispie recipe. Of note, some marshmallows are stickier than others and will need even more cereal. For this recipe we used to Jet Puff marshmallows.
Take your pre-greased pan and pre-greased spatula and pour your marshmallow cereal mixture into your pan. Lightly press the mixture into the pan until it is an even thickness across the entire pan.
Let your treats cool for around 30 minutes. Once they have cooled, take a grease tonight and cut your treats into 16 even square bars.
Treat tips and storage
- Proper storage: to store your treats for maximum freshness keep them in an airtight container at room temperature. They can last well for 5 plus days. If you will not finish them and that time, wrap them up and put them in the freezer.
- Don’t crunch your cereal: as you fold your cereal into the marshmallow mixture and as you press some extra in your pan, make sure you do both tasks gently so as to not crush or crunch the cereal. If the cereal gets crushed too much you will end up with hard and compact bars.
- Heat your marshmallows just enough: overheated marshmallows become stiff due to crystallized sugar and this results in less chewy more hard bars. In order to avoid this, only heat the marshmallow just as long as it takes to melt and only use the amount of heat it takes to melt them. Don’t overdo it were you end up with less chewy bars.
Honey Nut Cheerio Marshmallow Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 7 cups Honey Nut Cheerios
- Ensure that you have everyting you need including all of your ingredients and supplies.
- Use non-stick cooking spray and butter to grease your spatula and pan.
- Place your 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a microwave safe dish.
- Heat them in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Stir well.
- Heat for another 30 seconds and stir.
- Repeat these 30 second heatings and stirring until marshmallows are melted.
- Note: You can also melt butter and marshmallows on the stovetop, see post above for instructions on this method.
- Now, slowly add in 7 cups of honey nut cheerios cereal, stirring as you go.
- Once you have completely combined cereal and marshmallows, transfer your mixture into your pan.
- Using your spatula, gently press the mixture into the pan so the thickness is the same across the treats.
- Set them aside for around 30 minutes to they can cool some.
- Use a knife that has been greased to cut 16 square treats.