Whether you're looking for an easy, no bake treat or you need a novel dessert to bring to a party, these Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats are a perfect fit!
If you love Fruity Pebbles, you'll love these. I'm a big fan of Fruity Pebbles, but don't eat them too terribly often because I try my best to be responsible with my breakfast foods. However, these Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats mean you can have the flavor of Fruity Pebbles for snack or dessert anytime. Which is super awesome!
What are Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats?
Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats are made with just three simple ingredients: butter, marshmallows and, of course, fruity pebbles. They only take about 10 - 15 minutes to prepare. Plus they're so colorful and pretty!
So, I thought about trying these out after making some super yummy Lucky Charms Bars. I realized I could probably substitute most any kind of cereal in place of Rice Krispies in the regular rice krispie treat recipe. And it turns out you totally can!
These are super simple to whip up and delicious just the way they are. There are a couple of different ways to enjoy these treats and that's by using some of the different flavors this cereal comes in such as:
- Cocoa Pebbles Cereal Treats
- Magic Fruity Pebbles
- Marshmallow Fruity Pebbles
How to Make these treats
So, if you know how to make rice Krispie Treats, then you'll find these Fruity Pebble bars super easy too - just switch out the cereal used. They can be made either on the stove top or in the microwave. Instructions for both methods are detailed below.
These are so fun and colorful! If you love the colors, you may also want to check out these multi-colored layered Peeps Rice Krispie Treats.
You'll want to gather your supplies, which are:
Before you get started, you'll also want to gather your ingredients which are:
- 6 Cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Next, you'll want to go ahead and pre-grease your pan and also your spatula. If you don't pre-grease these before getting started, it can get a little hectic trying to get them greased before your marshmallow batter starts to harden.
We like to use a non-stick butter spray like Pam for greasing the pan and the spatula. However, you can certainly just use a stick of butter to rub on both to grease them.
Melt and mix together your butter and marshmallows. You can use the stove top, or the microwave.
On the stove top, make sure to use low to medium heat. First begin by melting your butter. Once your butter has melted, add in your marshmallows and let them melt as well. Make sure you stir occasionally so that they melt evenly. This should take 8 - 10 minutes
In the microwave, you can melt both together at once. Microwave for 30 - 60 seconds to start, then stir well (but quickly. Then continue heating in 30 second increments, checking and stirring then heating another 30 seconds until completely melted together.
Pro tip: don’t overheat your marshmallows, they’ll get super hard and stiff. It is essential that you heat the marshmallows SLOWLY with stirring in between.
Pro tip #2: The marshmallows will puff up A LOT. Especially if you are using the microwave option. This is normal. Make sure to stir them up and press them down so that you can assess how melted they actually are.
Dump your 6 cups of Fruity Pebbles into the bowl with the butter and marshmallow mix. Then stir the cereal in with everything else.
Make sure to stir thoroughly so that the cereal is evenly coated in the butter and marshmallow mixture.
However, as you are stirring, you also want to make sure that you are not crushing the fruity pebbles cereal. It should just be folded into the marshmallows. Otherwise you will get compact, hard bars.
Next, you'll want to evenly spread your cereal and marshmallow mix into a pre-greased pan. For easiest spreading, use a spatula coated in non-stick cooking spray or butter.
Seriously though, when you pre-greased everything before you started, make sure that it is actually all SUPER well greased. The marshmallow and fruity pebble cereal mixture is going to be extremely sticky. It will stick to all the things.
Let your bars cool (this usually takes around 20-40 minutes) before cutting into serving sized squares. You can of course dig in right away, but the bars won't be fully set yet and will not have the best chewy texture.
Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispie Treats Storage
Storing these is super duper easy. You'll want to either keep them in an air tight container. Or, if you won't finish them within a week or so, you can freeze them for another time.
In order to make the gooey, sweet, perfect treats you know and love, here are a few pro tips:
- Use Brand name marshmallows: We have used a variety of different marshmallows over the years. They all work fine. However, different brands have different consistencies. Kraft tend to be a little less pliable and sticky, which makes them easier to work with.
- Use fresh marshmallows: stale marshmallows get hard once they are mixed in with the butter and cereal and make for hard treats.
- Don't get your marshmallows too hot: If you overheat the marshmallows while melting then you will end up with hard bars instead of ooey, gooey pull apart treats you are looking for.
- Don't crush your cereal: when you stir your cereal into the marshmallows and when you push your mixture into your pan, it's easy to press too hard and crush the cereal. If this happens you will end up with more compact, hard bars which is not the desired texture.
Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- Pot or Microwave Safe Dish
- 6 Cups Fruity Pebbles Cereal
- 4 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 10 oz Marshmallows
- Pre-grease your pan and spatula with with a pad of butter or with non-stick cooking spray. *note: grease them liberally, or you will have marshmallows stuck everywhere.
- Combine and Melt Marshmallows and Butter together. This can be done in small increments in the microwave or on low heat on the stovetop.
- Make sure to stir throughout the melting time. If using the microwave, use 30 - 60 seconds at a time and stir in between heatings.
- Add in the Fruity Pebbles cereal and then stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Spread your mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula. Making sure not to pack it down too much.
- Let your treats cool for about 30 minutes, cut and then eat.