How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a colorful (perhaps even “magically delicious”) snack? These Lucky Charms Bars are sure do the trick! These fun bars fit right in with other St Patrick’s Day rice krispie treat recipes. They are also great for birthday parties or just everyday snacking.
How to make Lucky Charms Bars
Lucky Charms bars are so super easy with only four ingredients and no baking. They take no time at all to whip up a colorful batch. And did I mention, how super magically delicious they are?
Making Lucky Charms Bars is basically the same as making original rice krispie treats, just change out the type of cereal you are using. (Much the same as when making these equally colorful Fruity Pebble Rice Krispie Treats.)
When to Make them
These bars fit for so many different events and occasions, but here are a few standouts to try them at:
- St. Patrick’s Day – with their colors and leprechauns, these are perfect to celebrate this day with. If you are looking for other St. Patrick’s day themed treats, also try these Green Rice Krispie Treats.
- Kid’s Birthday Parties
- Everyday Snacking
These can actually be made in a few different variations other than just using the traditional, original Lucky Charms cereal. Try out using these versions of the cereal for a different spin on these treats:
- Lucky Charms Magic Gems
- Lucky Charms Marshmallow Clusters
- Chocolate Lucky Charms
- Lucky Charms Honey Clovers
- Fruity Lucky Charms
- 6 Cups Lucky Charms Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Once you gather up your supplies and ingredients listed above you can get started making your treats. You can have these finished up in 10 – 15 minutes, not including cooling time.
Do make sure to pre-grease your bowl, spatula and pan as the mixture will be super sticky and difficult to work with.
Melt your butter and marshmallows and mix together. You can do this over low heat on the stove or in the microwave.
If you choose the microwave, toss in your 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into your microwave safe bowl. Then pop it into the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds. Remove the bowl and stir well, but quickly. Then put it into the microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between each until the marshmallows are fully melted
If you choose the stove, toss your 4 tbs of butter in your pot and heat on low until melted. Then, add in your 16 oz of marshmallows and stir regularly, still on low heat, until fully melted.
Mix in your 6 Cups of Lucky Charms cereal. Make sure to stir thoroughly so that the cereal is evenly coated in the butter and marshmallow mixture.
Using a buttered (or non-stick spray) coated spatula, spread your cereal and marshmallow mixture into a buttered dish.
Let your bars cool (this usually takes around 20-40 minutes) before cutting into serving sized squares.
How do you store Lucky Charms Bars?
You’ll want to store these in an air right container. Room temperature is best.
Putting them in the refrigerator doesn’t ruin them (and I’ve done this before). But it definitely does make the bars harder and not as chewy.
I’m a little obsessed with making things in big batches. It’s a huge time saver later. And also, if you shop with coupons and stock up on an item, it’s better to be able to use it up before it goes bad.
So, if you want to make a double batch (or larger) or perhaps, you can’t finish them all in a few days, you can freeze them too.
Here are some pro tips to use so that you have the most perfect treats possible.
- Use the Microwave to save time: you can make these lucky charms bars in the microwave or on the stove top. The stove allows more control of heating the marshmallows, but the microwave goes a lot faster and saves time.
- Don’t heat your marshmallows too much: if you add too much heat for too long while melting the marshmallows, they will become hard in the bars once they cool.
- Use Fresh Marshmallows: always use fresh marshmallows. Stale marshmallows will end up being hard once cooled off and make for hard crunchy bars instead of chewy ones.
- Don’t smash your bars: when you stir in your cereal and when you press your mixture into your pan, make sure that you don’t smash or crush it too much. If you make it too compact, your bars will end up hard.
- It’s Normal for the marshmallows to puff up: as you heat the marshmallows, especially in the microwave, they will puff up super big. This is normal.
Lucky Charms Bars
- 9×13 Pan
- 6 Cups Lucky Charms cereal
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- Melt butter and marshmallows together. Do this in the microwave checking every 30 seconds or so. Or you can do this on low to medium heat in a pan on the stove top.
- Once melted and mixed, take off heat and add in the Lucky Charms cereal.
- Thoroughly mix marshmallows and Lucky Charms together.
- Grease spatula and pan and spread your mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let bars sit for 20 – 40 minutes to cool, then enjoy.