How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you want rice krispie treats with a little extra ounce try out these homestyle Rice Krispie treats. This recipe takes regular rice krispie treats to a new level with an extra thickness and extra marshmallows.
What are homestyle rice krispie treats?
Homestyle Rice Krispie treats are extra thick and have extra mini marshmallows left intact unmelted in them.
While they are very similar to original recipe rice Krispie treats in that they are a combination of butter, marshmallows and Rice Krispies cereal, they’re extra decadent with their double thickness and additional marshmallows.
If you’re looking for an extra delicious, super thick and chewy treat these are the perfect ones for you. They are easy three ingredient, no bake dessert bars and still only take around 10 or 15 minutes to make.
These treats can certainly be enjoyed just as they are. However, just like original Rice Krispie treats, they can also be jazzed up with different flavors.
- Make them chocolate dipped: you can’t go wrong with additional chocolate flavor. Take these big thick chewy bars and dip them in chocolate.
- Make sprinkle treats: if you want a little festivity added to your treats, add some sprinkles in the batter.
- Try another cereal: just like you can make regular cereal treats with other cereals, you can make this homestyle recipe with other cereals as well. Some of our favorites are
How to Make these treats
These treats are super duper easy to make there is simple as the regular recipe, you just have to use bigger amounts of the ingredients and add the extra step of adding additional mini marshmallows.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 8X8 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
Get everything ready to go by gathering together your spatula, bowl or microwave safe dish, pan, Rice Krispies cereal, butter and marshmallows.
You will also want to ensure that you have greased everything that will be touching your marshmallows. And can be difficult to deal with. By greasing everything well your mixture will be a lot easier to work with.
Start out by melting you a marshmallows and your butter together. You have two ways you can do this. You can melt them in the microwave or you can melt them in a pot on the stove.
In the microwave method
- Measure four tablespoons of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Put both your butter in your marshmallows and a microwave safe dish and stick them in the microwave.
- Heat everything for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove the bowl with the butter marshmallows from your microwave and stir them together.
- Continue heating for 30 seconds at a time making sure to stir well between heatings.
- Once marshmallows are almost completely melted remove from the microwave for a final time and stir well until they have finished melting.
Pot on the stove:
- Get your 4 tablespoon of butter and add it to your pot.
- Place your pot on the stove on low heat.
- Stir your butter a few times as it melts.
- Once your butter is almost fully melted, add your 16 oz of marshmallows.
- As your marshmallows heat on low, stir them frequently.
- What’s your marshmallows are almost completely melted, remove your pot from the stove.
- Continue stirring butter and marshmallows together until everything is thoroughly combined and melted.
Grab your six measured cups of rice krispies cereal. Go ahead and slowly add the cereal into your butter and marshmallow mixture.
By adding around ⅓ of the total cereal at a time and mixing it in before adding more it will make it easier to ensure that everything is thoroughly coated and combined.
Once you have started in all of your cereal, your marshmallow mixture should be not completely cooled but not piping hot.
Take your mini marshmallows and add them into the cereal and marshmallow mixture. The goal is to fold them into the mixture without having a melt completely.
Now, using your greased spatula move your cereal and marshmallow mixture from your bowl or pot into your greased pan.
Use your spatula to gently press the mixture down into the pan so that it is even across the length of the pan.
Let your treats cool for around 30 minutes. If you’d like them to cool faster, pop them in the fridge or freezer for just a few minutes.
Use a greased knife and cut your treats into squares. Since these are decadent and big treats, you can certainly cut your squares a little bigger than we usually would.
- Don’t over melt your marshmallows: if you melt your marshmallows too much, the sugar and then will crystallize and cause your marshmallows to become stiff. Once these marshmallows cool, you will have hard compact bars instead of ooey gooey chewy ones. Therefore, make sure that you only use heat long enough to just get your marshmallows melted and not longer.
- Cool it down: the point of adding in the mini marshmallows to these treats is to leave them mostly intact. Make sure that you allow your melted marshmallow and cereal mixture to cool a bit before you add the mini marshmallows in so that they don’t also melt.
- Don’t do any smashing: the texture of these bars should be light and chewy. Make sure not to smash your cereal either when you’re mixing it in the marshmallows or when you’re pressing it into the pan. Simply fold the cereal into the marshmallows and gently press it in the pan so that your treats stay light and chewy instead of hard and compact.
- Use new and fresh marshmallows: marshmallows can easily get stale especially if your package has been opened. Make sure to use new unopened and fresh marshmallows in your treats because still marshmallows will result in stiff and hard treats instead of chewy treats.
- These treats can be stored just like any other Rice Krispie treats.
- They can last upwards of five days or so.
- Make sure to keep them in an airtight container or sealed Ziploc bag.
- They should be kept at room temperature to maintain optimal texture. If you place them in the fridge they will become a bit hard.
- If you won’t be finishing them in the five or so days, you can freeze your treats for later.
Homestyle Rice Krispie Treats
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 8×8 Pan
- 16 oz marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup Mini Marshmallows
- Gather together your equipment and ingredients so you have everything ready to go.
- Take some butter or some non-stick cooking spray and grease up your spatula and pan.
- Melt butter and marshmallows in microwave by adding 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows to bowl and heating in 30 second increments and stirring in between each heating.
- Once marshmallows and butter are melted and combined, stop heating and slowly add 6 cups of rice krispies cereal.
- Thoroughly fold cereal into marshmallows.
- Once cereal and marshmallows are well combined, make sure marshmallows are no longer pipping hot, add 1 cup of mini marshmallows and fold in. Note: you do NOT want the mini marshmallows to melt.
- Take your spatula and transfer your mixture into your greased pan.
- Gently use the spatula to push the mixure into the pan so that it is the same thickness across the pan.
- Set pan aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Use a grease knife and cut treats into even squares.