How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you love Rice Krispie treats and desserts, but are looking for a little bit of a healthier option try out these healthy Rice Krispie treats. Please make a good a good healthier alternative to the original treats and are great for snacking and dessert.
What are healthy rice krispie Treats?
Healthy Rice Krispie treats are the same combination of ooey gooey sweet goodness as the original recipe, but using healthier alternatives. For this street recipe we are going to use coconut oil instead of butter. Vegan marshmallows instead of regular marshmallows. And an organic puffed rice cereal instead of regular rice krispies.
Although these are healthier version of the regular rice krispie recipe they are still a great dessert bar that is easy to make. Only three ingredients and no baking required to make these treats.
There are a couple of other options for substituting ingredients to still make healthier Rice Krispie treats with. Here are a few alternatives:
- Dairy-free butter: instead of replacing regular butter with coconut oil, you could use a dairy-free butter such as I can't Believe it's not butter vegan or SunButter.
- Dandies marshmallows: we're using Max mallows in this recipe but there are other healthier marshmallow options such as dandies.
- Hearthy marshmallows: this is another healthier marshmallow alternative that are grass-fed based ingredients.
- Make your own marshmallows: you can make your own marshmallows for just a few simple ingredients like this homemade marshmallow recipe.
How to Make these treats
These treats are made just like original Rice Krispies or coconut oil Rice Krispie treats you simply throw your three ingredients together melt them up and stir them. They can be ready in 10 to 15 minutes.
- 6 Cups organic crispy brown rice cereal
- 16 oz of Max Mallows
- 4 Tbs Coconut oil
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
First, make sure you have everything you need to make these treats including Max mallows, coconut oil, crispy brown rice cereal, spatula, pan and pot or microwave safe bowl.
Now you need to melt your coconut oil and healthy marshmallows together. For this step you can use a microwave or the stove top.
- Take four tablespoons of coconut oil as well as 16 oz of Max Mallows and add them to a microwave safe dish.
- Place the dish into the microwave and heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Once the time is up, remove the dish and stir coconut oil and marshmallows together well.
- Heat again for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between each heating.
- When marshmallows are almost completely melted stop heating and stir well until everything combines and finishes melting.
- Measure 4 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Add coconut oil to a pot.
- Turn burner on to low heat.
- Place pot on burner and stir coconut oil occasionally as it melts.
- When coconut oil is almost melted add 16 oz of marshmallow.
- Continue to heat both on low stirring frequently now until everything is almost completely melted.
- Remove pot from heat and continue stirring until everything is melted and well combined.
Now, add 6 cups of crispy brown rice cereal. Add your cereal slowly to your marshmallow mixture stirring it in as you go.
Once cereal and marshmallows are thoroughly combined with a consistent coating throughout, use your spatula to move the marshmallow cereal mixture into your pan.
Lightly press the mixture down so that you have an equal thickness throughout the pan.
You need to let your mixture cool before cutting. Let it sit to cool for around 30 minutes. You can speed the cooling up by placing it for a few minutes in the fridge or freezer.
Once everything is cool, use a greased knife and cut your treats into 16 even squares.
- Don't melt all the way on heat: if you apply too much heat to your marshmallows and butter you can get a less chewy texture in your final treats. Melts both almost all the way and then stir and let the remaining heat in the mixture melt them the rest of the way.
- Don't smash too hard: if you fold your cereal in too hard or press it into the pan too hard you can crush the cereal. This will lead to more hard and more compact treats.
- Proper Storage: your treats can last and be fresh around 5 days if kept in an airtight container or sealed Ziploc bag at room temperature. If they will not be finished during this time, wrap them individually in wax paper and place them in the freezer.
Healthy Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Max Mallows
- 4 tbs Coconut Oil
- 6 cups Organic Brown Rice Cereal
- Get your ingredients and supplies ready to make your treats.
- Use your coconut oil (you can also use butter or a non-stick cooking spray if desired) to pre-grease your pan and your spatula.
- note: to do the melting below you can also use the stove if you prefer, directions for stovetop melting are in the article above.
- Measure 4 tbs of coconut oil and add to your microwave safe bowl.
- Measure 16 oz of Max Mallows and add to your coconut oil in the bowl.
- Heat your coconut oil and Max Mallows in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Take the bowl out of the microwave and stir things together.
- Heat again for 30 seconds and then stir well again.
- Heat and stir as many times as needed until marshmallows are well melted.
- Measure 6 cups of organic brown rice cereal.
- Slowly pour cereal into melted marshmallows and fold them together.
- Once cereal and marshmallows are combined, move them from the bowl into your greased pan.
- Press the mixture into the pan lightly with your spatula until you have an even thickness throughout.
- Set pan of treats to the side for around 30 minutes to cool.
- Use a knife and cut your treats into 16 even squares.