If you thought that original homemade Rice Krispie Treats couldn't get any better, have we got a surprise for you! This recipe for Rice Krispie Treats with Sprinkles will show you that even the best can get better.
How to make Rice Krispie Treats With Sprinkles
Rice Krispie Treats with sprinkles are 4 ingredient, no bake dessert treats that you can have ready in about 15 minutes. They add a little candy crunch to your chewy, sweet marshmallow treats.
I think we can all agree that sprinkles make everything better. Whether it's your favorite ice cream sundae, a birthday cake or even a Rice Krispie Treat birthday cake. Sprinkles make everything more fun.
This recipe is really easy to make. If you know how to make original Rice Krispie Treats, then this will be a breeze for you. The only extra ingredient you're going to need is your favorite choice of sprinkles.
You can follow the directions as written below or if you want to add a little fun and variety to the recipe, try some of these idea:
- Color them: try out treats that are red, blue, purple, orange, green, or yellow and add in whatever sprinkles you like.
- Make it themed: making these for a certain holiday, or themed party, you can choose just the colors of sprinkles that fit. For example, red and green for Christmas.
- Change up your sprinkles: you probably think of the long colored sprinkles, but there are lots of different kinds such as, confetti sprinkles, nonpariels (the small balls), or sugar pearls to name a few.
- Shaped sprinkles: you can find sprinkles shaped like all sorts of things, bats for Halloween, Mermaids for a kids birthday party, X's and O's for Valentine's day and the list goes on. Try these out for specific occasions.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Once you decide on your type of sprinkles to use, get all of your other supplies and ingredients together so you can get started. You will also need to make sure that you grease up your spatula and bowl before starting.
As always, we start out melting butter in a large stock pot. Place the pot on your stove top and set the heat to medium. While your butter is melting, pulled out a large bag of Jet Puff Marshmallows. Dump the marshmallows directly into the pot once the butter has mostly melted.
Use a spatula to stir the marshmallows into the butter until they're both thoroughly mixed together. When you're finished, it should look like you have a pot full of liquid marshmallows.
If you want to do this melting in the microwave, you can do that and speed the process up from 8 or so minutes to around 3 or 4 minutes.
- Stick your marshmallows and butter in a bowl that you can microwave.
- Heat in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Stir well.
- Place back in the microwave for 30 seconds and stir. Repeat until marshmallows are well melted.
Now the measurements for this part can vary depending on your own personal taste. Since sprinkles are not going to really affect the flavor of the Rice Krispie Treat, you can really just base the amount that you add in on marshmallow consistency and how much color you want.
However much you decide, pour those sprinkles into the melted marshmallows and stir them until completely mixed.
Take out your rice krispie cereal and add 6 measured cups into the melted marshmallows. Stir the cereal into the batter until thoroughly mixed. If, at this time, you want to add more sprinkles, feel free to do so.
Take a 9 x 13 Baking Pan and coat the inside with a flavorless baking spray. We usually use canola oil. This keeps the marshmallows from sticking later on.
Scoop all of your batter into the pan. Use our spatula to level out the mixture until it is flat in the bottom of the pan. Set your pan to the side to cool for about half an hour.
Once you're ready to cut your treats, make sure they are sufficiently cooled and take out a sharp knife. You will want to cut 2 x 2 inch squares. You should end up with around 16 or so treats.
Add more sprinkles to the top, if you like, then serve and enjoy!
Storage for treats
- Put them in an airtight container.
- Keep them at room temperature.
- Eat by 3 - 5 days.
- If not used by 3 - 5 days, you can freeze the cereal treats by wrapping them, putting them in the freezer in freezer bags.
Successful Treat Tips
- Don't smush treats: make sure that you fold the cereal in to the marshmallows so you don't crush the cereal. Also, when putting the mixture in the pan, gently press it in so that they don't get too compact and hard.
- Use fresh, brand new marshmallows: stale marshmallows lead to hard, less chewy treats. Make sure you use new and fresh marshmallows to have the best texture in your treats.
- Don't heat too much: overheating your treats will cause the texture to be more brittle and hard. Make sure that you don't turn the heat up to high and don't heat for too long.
- Grease it all: marshmallows are super sticky and even stickier when melted. To make the mixture easier to work with, grease everything that will touch the marshmallows.
Rice Krispie Treats With Sprinkles
- 9x13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- Add the butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- Stir and add in sprinkles
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- Allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes), cut into squares and enjoy!