How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a festive treat or dessert for your winter holidays? Try out these super adorable Rice Krispie treat snowman. They are super easy to make and are perfect for the centerpiece of your next dessert table.
What are Rice Krispie Treat Snowmen?
Rice Krispie treats snowman are simply original recipe rice Krispie treats formed into three balls stacked on one another and then decorated like a snowman. These treats are relatively easy to make they can be made and decorated in around 20 minutes.
These snowman Rice Krispie treats are perfect for any winter holiday party or get together. You can make them large or small depending on what your needs for your dessert table are. They are also a fun kids food craft that they are sure to enjoy using their creativity to put together and decorate.
For the instructions below, we made 3D large treats. However, there's several different ways you can make or decorate these treats. Here are a few other ideas:
- Use white chocolate candy melts: the original recipe rice Krispie treats have a light beige color so we did not change that color for our snowman. However, if you want truly white snowman, you could dip each of your balls of Rice Krispie treats into white chocolate and let them cool before decorating.
- Use cookie cutters: if you don't want to have to shape at your Rice Krispie treats to make them 3d, you could simply use a snowman shaped cookie cutter to make your snowman and then decorate from there.
- Decorate them differently: for these streets we used pretzels for the arms, many M&Ms for the buttons and eyes, fruit roll-up for the scarf and candy corn for the nose. However, there are many other options you can use for these parts.
- Eyes: try out some tiny candy eyeballs, mini chocolate chips, or black decorating gel.
- Nose: try out orange slice candy, starburst, orange M&M or Orange skittle cut in half or any other Orange colored candy you can think of.
- Buttons: use some black decorating gel, mini chocolate chips.
- Scarf: cut a swedish fish, or fruit by the foot.
- Add a hat: a tiny Reese's cup might work well.
How to Make these treats
These treats are pretty easy to make, you simply start with your original recipe rice Krispie treats and then shape your treats and decorate them.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Pretzel sticks
- Fruit roll up
- Mini M&Ms
- Candy corn
Make sure you have everything you need including candy corn, fruit roll-up, pretzel sticks, mini m&ms, butter, marshmallows, Rice Krispies cereal, measuring cups, pan, spatula and a microwave safe bowl or pot.
Use some butter or couple sprays of non-stick cooking spray in order to pre-grease both your spatula and your pan. It's essential to have things greased well or your marshmallow mixture will stick to everything and be difficult to work with.
To melt your marshmallows and butter together you can choose to use the microwave or the stove top. While the microwave is much faster at only a few minutes versus 10, it doesn't give quite as much heat control as a stove top.
Melt in the microwave:
- Add together your four tablespoons of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows in a dish that can be used in the microwave.
- Put that dish into the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Remove the dish and stir the butter and marshmallows together well.
- Put the dish back in the microwave for 30 seconds.
- Remove and give butter and marshmallows another good stirring.
- Continue with this heating for 30 seconds and then stirring cycle until your marshmallows are almost completely melted.
- Once they are almost completely melted, simply continue storing for a few seconds until they have fully melted.
Melt on the stove:
- Measure out 4 tablespoon of butter and add it to your pot.
- Heat your butter on low heat while stirring once in a while.
- When your butter is almost fully melted, measure out 16 oz of marshmallows and add them to the pot with your butter.
- Keep your heat on low while heating marshmallows.
- Stir your marshmallows frequently. When they're almost fully melted, or move them from the heat and continue stirring until they have fully melted.
Measure out 6 cups of rice krispies cereal. Slowly add your cereal to your marshmallow and extra while folding it together. Once you have added all of your cereal, make sure that it is consistently coated and evenly stirred into the marshmallows.
Take your pre-greased pan and transfer your cereal and marshmallow mixture into it. Use your spatula to gently push the mixture in the pan to create an even thickness throughout the length of the pan.
Alternatively, since you will be simply turning your treats into balls, you can skip adding the mixture into the pan and simply let it cool in your bowl.
Allow your treat mixture to cool for approximately 15 to 20 minutes. While you do want it to be cooled enough that it is not quite so sticky and falling apart, you don't want it to be completely cooled and hardened or it will be difficult to shape your treats into balls without crushing them and making them hard and compact.
Go ahead and take a half cup scoop of treatment and roll it in your hands until it forms a ball. It can be helpful to grease your hands with a nonstick cooking spray so that the treats don't stick to them.
Then take about a quarter cup of the treat mixture and form another ball. Then take ⅛ of a cup treatment mixture and form a third ball.
Now, you want to get your balls stacked one on top of the other largest on the bottom smallest on the top. You can simply press them together and if your treatment is still sticky they should stick.
If you want them to stick even better, you can use a little extra melted marshmallows in between or you can use a popsicle stick or paper straw down the center of the balls.
Now, it's time to decorate your snowman.
Take three multicolored M&Ms and place them on the balls for buttons.
Take a candy corn and cut off the the largest section of it then stick the remaining part in the middle of the head of the snowman to be his nose.
Take two pretzel sticks and stick one on each side of the middle ball of the snowman to be his arms.
Take either two black mini M&Ms or two mini chocolate chips and place them next each other as his eyes.
Take a fruit roll-up and cut a thin strip from it. Wrap it between the top and the middle balls of the snowman as his scarf.
- Don't crush your treats: be extra careful when you're shaping the balls for your snowman. You still want your treats to be soft and chewy when you enjoy them. If you press them together too hard to make the balls, your treats will be harder and crunchier than normal.
- Help them stick together: wow the Rice Krispie treat balls will likely be sticky enough to hold together some if you simply stack them on top of one another, if you're going to be using these treats on a dessert table you want them to stick super well. Make sure that you use a little extra melted marshmallow, melted chocolate or even paper straws to hold the balls together so that they don't fall apart. It also helps to stick these treats in the fridge or freezer for a short period of time right after putting them together so that they will stick better.
- Don't cool them all the way: usually, you want your treats to cool all the way before you cut them. However, since you're shaping these treats into balls, you want to make sure that they are somewhat cool but not all the way cool. Want your treats have cooled all the way it will be harder to shape them without simply crunching and smashing them together. You still want your treat mixture to be a little sticky so that you can work with it.
Rice Krispie Treat Snowman
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- mini M&Ms
- Fruit Rollup
- Candy Corn
- Lollipop Stick
- Before getting started, make sure that you have your ingredients and supplies ready.
- Next, you need to pre-grease your spatula and bowl.
- Then, you have to melt you butter and marshmallows together - either in the microwave or on the stovetop. For stovetop directions, see in the post above. Microwave directions are below.
- Add 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat them together for 30 - 60 seconds.
- After heating, stir them together well.
- Once stirred, heat again at 30 second intervals (stirring between each heating) until marshmallows are fully melted.
- Measure out 6 cups of rice krispie cereal and slowly add it to the melted marshmallows folding the cereal in as you go.
- Once the cereal is evenly coated, set your mixture aside for around 15 minutes to partially cool.
- Once partially cooled, take ½ cup scoop of treat mixture and form into a ball.
- Then, take ¼ cup scoop of treat mixture and form into another ball.
- Take an ⅛ cup scoop of treat mixture and form into a third ball.
- Stack each ball on top of each other with the largest on the bottom. You can use a lollipop stick through the middle of them to hold them together, or a little melted chocolate or marshmallow. however, the stickiness of the treats should hold them as well.
- Take two pretzel sticks and stick one on each side of the middle ball.
- Take three mini M&Ms and press them into the center of the snowman.
- Cut a small strip of fruit rollup and wrap between the top and middle ball as a scarf.
- Take the orange part of the candy corn and place in the middle of the top ball as a nose.
- Place two mini M&Ms or two mini chocolate chips and place them into the top ball as eyes.