How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a fun dessert for your next kid’s birthday? Try out these mermaid Rice Krispie treats. They are perfect for a little mermaid or under the sea themed birthday party.
What are Mermaid Rice Krispie Treats?
Mermaid rice krispie treats are simply a combination of green Rice Krispie treats cut into a tail shape with regular rice krispie treats for the body. These no bake desserts are super easy to make and can be ready to go in about 20 minutes.
These make a fun kids food craft or a fun themed dessert for parties. They would even work well being put on a pop or stick and wrapped for a party favor.
There are lots of different ways you could style your mermaid Rice Krispie treats. If you’d like to decorate them a little differently than we’ve done here, here are a few additional ideas:
- Use additional colors: for these we made a green tail. However, you could make a tail any color or you could do a swirl of different colors and tail and on the body. Blues commas purples and pinks would make other good color options.
- Add different sprinkles: you could add other sprinkles either into your treat batter or to decorate your treats with. Try out some seashell sprinkles to go with the ocean theme of the mermaid.
- Add a face or hair: we did an abstract mermaid without any specific face but you could add a face to your mermaid or even some red hair to match the Little mermaid.
- Use Jello instead of food coloring: when you color detail green you could use lime Jello instead of the food coloring if you wanted a flavored treat.
How to Make these treats
These treats are so easy to make. If you’ve made original Rice Krispies or green Rice Krispies before you’ll have no trouble. And the sky is the limit when you decorate them you can use any creativity you want.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Food Coloring
- Decorative Icing
Start out by gathering your food coloring, sprinkles, butter, marshmallows, Rice Krispies cereal, spatula, cookie cutter, pan, microwave safe bowl or pot and measuring cups.
Also before starting you’ll want to make sure that you have pre-greased your pan, cookie cutter and spatula with butter or some nonstick cooking spray. Either works fine just make sure that you are liberal with your grease so that your marshmallows don’t stick and become difficult to work with.
Next you need to melt your marshmallows and butter together. You can do this on the stovetop or in the microwave. Additionally, since half of the treats will be green and the other will have no color added you can either melt your marshmallows and butter in two half batches. Or, as one batch and then separate half out before adding food coloring.
In the microwave:
- Add 4 tbs of butter to 16 oz of marshmallows to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in microwave for 30 – 60 seconds, remove and stir well.
- Heat again for 30 seconds, remove and stir well.
- Continue heating and stirring until marshmallows are fully melted. This usually only takes a few minutes.
On the stovetop:
- Set your burner to low heat and add 4 tbs of butter into a pot.
- Stir occasionally while heating until butter is almost fully melted.
- Add 16 oz of marshmallows to butter in the pot.
- Keep the heat on low, but stir often.
- Once marshmallows are almost fully melted, remove from the heat and keep stirring until marshmallows have fully melted.
Split the melted butter and marshmallows into halves. Take one half and add green food coloring and stir it in.
Add 3 cups of rice krispie cereal to each half of melted butter and marshmallows. Fold the cereal into the marshmallows until all of the cereal is consistently coated.
Use the spatula to move the treat mixture from the bowl into a pan – half of the mixture on one side of the pan and half on the other. Then, set it aside to cool for around 30 minutes
Once treats have cooled, take the fish cookie cutter and use it in the green side of the treats. Cutting just the tail part of the fish out.
On the plain side of the treats, cut small rectangles. And, then, place the rectangles onto the top of the green tails.
Mermaid Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- fish shaped cookie cutter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- green food coloring
- Gather your ingredieents and supplies together.
- Pregrease your pan and spatula with either butter or a non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt your marshmallows and butter together – this can be done via microwave (instructions below) or via stoveop (instructions in post above).
- Dump 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a bowl that can be used in the microwave.
- Heat butter and marshmallows in microwave for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Take them out and stir them together well.
- Place back in the microwave and heat for 30 seconds, then stir.
- Continue heating and stirring in 30 second intervals until the marshmallows are fully melted
- Separate your melted marshmallows into two bowls of even amounts. (alternatively you could separate the butter into 2 tbs and marshmallows into 8 oz and heat each separately).
- Add green food coloring to one half of the marshmallows and stir well.
- Add 3 cups of cereal to each bowl of marshmallows and fold together well. You should now have half a batch of regular rice krispies and half that are green.
- Take your pan and press your treats into the pan, one half for each color.
- Set the pan aside to cool for around 30 minutes.
- Once cool, use your cookie cutter to cut the green treats – only cut the tail part of the fish, not the whole body.
- Then, cut small rectangles from your plain rice krispie treat side (this will be your mermaid body).
- Once you have your tails and body's cut, you can take one body and one tail and press them together to form your mermaid.
- Add sprinkles or other decorations as desired.