How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Love campfire food, but want to add a little spin on it? Try out these S’mores Rice Krispie Treats and get a chocolate, graham cracker, marshmallow dessert that everyone is sure to love.
How to make S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
S’mores Rice Krispie treats are easy to make 5 ingredient, no make dessert bars. They take the original Rice Krispie Treat recipe and add in a few additional ingredients like graham crackers and chocolate to add an extra burst of flavors.
Since S’mores already incorporate marshmallows, they naturally take to the Rice Krispie Treat formula. The graham crackers and chocolate just enhance an already delicious dessert. This recipe may just send you down the S’mores snack rabbit hole (start with these S’mores cookies if you do).
So other add in treats you might like are Oreo Rice Krispie Treats, Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats, and Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats.
We chose to use actual graham crackers and chocolate chips as the add ins to making these treats. But there are a few other ways you can make these:
- Use Golden Grahams: golden grahams are like graham crackers with honey and brown sugar flavors added in.
- Use chocolate chunks: instead of chocolate chips, you could use mini chocolate bars or chocolate chunks to have bigger sections of chocolate in your bars.
- Add a layer of mini marshmallows: if you like the toasted marshmallow flavor and texture of smores, then you can add a single layer of mini marshmallows on the top of your bars and even put them into the oven to toast them.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- 11 oz bag of chocolate chips
- 4 – 5 full graham cracker wafers
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Before you get to making your treats, make sure that you have greased your spatula and pan with butter or a non-stick cooking spray. The cooking spray is a little quicker and easier to get a consistent coating. But, the butter tends to have a better flavor.
You can make these treats in the microwave or on the stove. The stove gives you better control of how long and how much the marshmallows get heated, but the microwave is faster.
Stove Method: This will take around 8 – 10 minutes to complete.
- Place a pot on your stove top burner and set the heat to low .
- Add in your 4 tbs of butter and heat until melted.
- Next you will want to add in your 16 oz of marshmallows.
- Stir them on low to medium heat until they have completely melted into the butter.
Microwave method: This will take only a few minutes to complete.
- Place your butter and marshmallows into a microwave safe dish.
- Put them into the microwave on high for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Stir everything well.
- Put them back in the microwave for 30 seconds, then check and stir.
- Repeat until marshmallows are melted well.
Take 3 of your graham cracker wafers and crush them up. You can do this in hand while you sprinkle them into the mix. It’s roughly about 1 measured cup of graham crackers.
You don’t want to break them up too much, you still want distinguishable pieces throughout your dessert. Now stir them into your marshmallow mix.
Go ahead and add in 3 cups of rice krispies when the graham crackers have been mixed in thoroughly. Stir using a spatula until your cereal and graham crackers are completely coated in marshmallows.
Add in a bag of chocolate chips saving about ¼ cup of chips for the topping later. Mix everything together with your spatula.
Take out your pre-greased pan. Pour or scoop your S’mores mix into the pan.
Again, using your spatula, spread your batter into the bottom of the pan until the whole pan is full. Now take your ¼ cup of chips along with another 1 or 2 crushed graham crackers and mix them together in a separate bowl.
Sprinkle the chips/graham cracker mix across the top of your S’more treat. You can gently use your spatula to press the topping into the top of the treats so they don’t make a mess falling off when you eat them. Just be careful not to do it too hard and crush the graham cracker pieces.
Set the pan to the side and allow to cool for around 30 minutes or so. You can also stick them in the fridge or freezer to speed up the process.
After they have cooled, use a sharp knife and cut into squares. You can usually get 15 or 16 squares from a pan (or 4 if that’s how you roll 😲).
Serve and enjoy!
Here are some tips to make the absolute best tasting treats
- Don’t heat it too much: overheating the marshmallows either by heating too long or too hot will cause your finished treats to be hard instead of chewy. Only heat as much as needed to melt the marshmallows and stir frequently to help them melt quicker and spread the heat evenly.
- Don’t make them too compact: When you are adding in the cereal, graham crackers and chocolate try to fold it all into the marshmallows instead of stirring hard and crushing everything. Also, when putting your batter into the pan, don’t press it in too hard. Following these methods will help keep your treats chewy instead of hard.
- Use fresh marshmallows: marshmallows can get stale and when they are stale they will make hard, compact treats. Use fresh, unopened marshmallows for the best texture in your bars.
- Double the batch: Double your ingredients to make double the amount of treats. This is great is you are making them for a lot of people or just want to save some for later.
- Store for a few days: these can be stored for a few days at room temperature in an airtight container.
- Freeze for later: if you won’t finish the treats within a few days, pop them into freezer bags and freeze them for later.
S’mores Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 3 Cups Rice Krispies
- 4 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 10 oz Marshmallows
- 1 bag Chocolate Chips
- 4-5 full wafers Graham crackers
- Add the butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- Once butter and marshmallows are melted and thoroughly mixed, add in the 3 crushed graham crackers (about 1 cup) and stir
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- Stir and add in bag of chocolate chips. Save ¼ cup of chips to side for later.
- Thoroughly and evenly mix the marshmallows and Rice Krispies together.
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- Top with 1-2 crushed graham cracker and chocolate chips. Press into treats with spatula
- Allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes), cut into squares and enjoy!