How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Golden Grahams is one of the best breakfast cereals out there. So naturally we just had to make Golden Grahams treats. Their delicious graham cracker flavor mixed with honey and brown sugar makes them incredible when you add in a little marshmallow.
How to Make Golden Grahams Treats
Golden Grahams treats are 3 ingredient dessert bars that require no baking and can be ready in 15 minutes or less. They are the perfect combination and crunchy Golden Grahams cereal and sweet, chewy marshmallows.
If you’ve never made cereal bars before, you are in for a treat! Golden Grahams joins a lineup of Lucky Charms, Trix, Fruity Pebbles, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and many other cereals that mix well with marshmallow to become delicious snacks.
- 6 – 7 Cups Golden Grahams Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
These treats are just as easy to make as regular rice krispie treats. You simply swap out the type of cereal you use.
Take out a pot put it on your stovetop, and set your heat to low or medium low. Next, put your 4 tbs of butter in the pot and allow it to melt.
Once your butter has mostly melted, add in a full bag of Jet Puff Marshmallows. Use a spatula and stir the marshmallows until they melt into the butter.
When the marshmallows are melted all the way, turn the heat off. If marshmallows are heated too hot for too long, they tend to become brittle and stiff.
If you want to speed things up you can microwave your treats. This will take it from abut 10 minutes of melting to about 3 minutes.
- Put both your marshmallows and butter together in a bowl that is safe to microwave.
- Set your microwave for 30 – 60 seconds of heating.
- Take it out of the microwave and stir well.
- Set it back in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir after each heat cycle until everything is well melted.
If you haven’t already pre measured them, take out 6 measured cups of Golden Grahams cereal and dump it directly into the melted marshmallows. Stir everything together until it is thoroughly mixed and all of the cereal is covered in marshmallow.
Take out a 9 x 13 baking pan and coat the bottom and inside walls with your favorite flavorless baking spray or smear some butter on it to grease it. This is done to prevent sticking later.
Scoop the contents of your large stock pot into the baking pan. Use your spatula to spread the cereal treat mix across the bottom of the pan. You may need to press it down so that everything is flat and level.
Set the pan to the side and allow it to cool for about ½ an hour.
Once everything is completely cooled, it’s time to cut. Take out a sharp knife and cut your Golden Grahams cereal bars into 2 x 2 inch squares. A 9 x 13 pan should give you about 16 squares total.
And you’re done! Now all you have to do is serve them an enjoy.
Tips for Success
- Don’t heat too much: overheated marshmallows lead to stiff and brittle treats. Make sure to only heat them at a temperature needed to melt, not more and for only as long as it takes to get them melty.
- Fold in the cereal: when you mix your cereal in, try to fold it rather than stirring hard. Hard stirring can crush the cereal resulting in harder, more compact treats
- Add a little extra: this cereal is bigger than rice krispies and so when mixed with the same ratio of marshmallows, while the treats taste yummy they’re extra sticky. If you want less sticky treats that are still chewy and delicious add in ½ cup to 1 cup more of the cereal.
- No stale marshmallows: marshmallows that are not fresh end up being brittle and stiff in the treats. So, make sure to use fresh marshmallows.
- Grease the world: the melted marshmallows are super duper sticky, they will stick to everything and be difficult to work with especially when still warm. So, grease everything that will touch them super well.
How to Store
- Use an airtight container for best quality of texture in your treats.
- Store at room temperature so bars don’t get too hard (in the cold) or fall apart (in the heat).
- Eat within 3 – 5 days.
- If not consumed within 3 – 5 days, you can freeze your cereal bars by wrapping them and putting them in the freezer in freezer bags.
Golden Grahams Cereal Bars
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- 6 Cups Golden Grahams cereal
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- Melt butter and marshmallows together medium heat in a pan on the stove top.
- Once melted and mixed, take off heat and add in the Golden Grahams cereal.
- Thoroughly mix marshmallows and cereal together.
- Grease spatula and pan and spread your mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let bars sit for 20 – 40 minutes to cool, then enjoy.
For more delicious Rice Krispie Treats