How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Sometimes you want something just a little different than original Rice Krispie Treats. This is a perfect time to learn how to make butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats.
How To Make Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats are easy to mix up with only 4 ingredients and no baking needed. You can have these ready to go in around 15 minutes. These treats have the strong taste of butterscotch which is a combination of browned butter, carmelized sugar and molasses flavors.
Sometimes your regular Rice Krispie Treats need a little extra kick. If you’ve already tried our peanut butter, Oreo, S’mores, or Nutella treats, you know how great adding just one extra ingredient can be.
There’s a few different ways to whip these treats up and still get that sweet butterscotch and marshmallow combination.
- Melt your butterscotch chips with your butter: this makes a butterscotch base to spread over all of your cereal. To do this, you’ll toss the chips in while you are melting your butter and marshmallows.
- Make your own: You can pretty easily make your own butterscotch sauce and use that in the same spot of the recipe as you would the chips.
- Stir the chips in: instead of melting the butterscotch chips in with your butter, you could stir them in at the same time you add your cereal. They will still melt some, but not all the way. So the butterscotch flavor will be in bursts where the chips are. This is how the instructions are written below.
- Add another flavor: toss in some peanut butter also and make peanut butter butterscotch treats.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- 1.5 cups of butterscotch chips
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
Before starting, make sure to gather up your supplies as well as your ingredients. Then, you will want to use either butter or non-stick cooking spray to pre-grease your pan and spatula.
First thing you will want to do is pull out your pot, set your stove top heat to low and melt your 4 tbs of butter. This will typically take a couple of minutes.
Once your butter has melted, add in 16 oz of marshmallows. We prefer to use Jet Puffed brand. They tend to blend better and, in our opinion, have a better flavor. Or you could try and combine this with our Marshmallow Fluff Rice Krispie Treats recipe.
Continue heat on low while frequently stirring the marshmallows and butter until everything is totally melted and well mixed.
Note: If you can’t wait to eat your treats you can also use our Microwave Rice Krispie Treats for this recipe. This speeds up the time from around 10 minutes to just a few minutes.
- Throw your butter and marshmallows in a microwave safe dish.
- Heat on high for 30 – 60 seconds. Then stir well.
- Put back in microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between until completely melted.
Once you have a satisfyingly, buttery, gooey mess remove the pot from the heat. Now, it’s time to add in your Rice Krispie Cereal! Go ahead and pour in about 3 cups of the total 6 measured cups. Stir until they are well mixed and then add in the rest.
We like to add in the cereal slowly as it makes it easier to mix everything together.
Now add in an 11 oz bag of Butterscotch chips. Be sure to save about ¼ cup to the side for later. We like to add them after the heat has been turned off so that they do not completely melt into the batter. They will still mostly melt but you will still have a few chip chunks throughout, similar to our chocolate chip Rice Krispie Treats.
Stir the chips in until everything is thoroughly mixed and then pull out your pre-greased pan.
We like to use canola oil, but you can use any flavorless cooking spray or a pad of butter to spray the bottom and sides of your 9×13 pan. This will keep the marshmallows from sticking to the pan and will make them easier to spread.
Pour, or scoop, your batter into the pan. Once everything has been transferred from the bowl, use a spatula to flatten everything out and fill the entire bottom of the pan.
Finally, take your ¼ cup of chips and sprinkle them across the top of your treats. Use your spatula to lightly press them into the top of the batter so that they stick and do not tumble around after cooling.
Set the pan to the side, or in the fridge, and allow to cool. This should not take too long and will take even less time in the fridge.
Once your dessert is cool, take out a knife and cut into small (or huge, whatevs) squares.
Serve and enjoy!
Storage for Treats
Not eating these all at once? Here’s how to keep them fresh and ready to eat.
- They stay good for a few days.
- Store at room temperature. Being in the fridge doesn’t make them go bad, but does harden them up.
- Use an airtight container.
- If you won’t finish them within a few days, pop them in freezer bags and freeze the treats for later.
Butterscotch Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 1 bag Butterscotch Chips
- Add the butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- Stir and add in bag of butterscotch chips. Save ¼ cup of chips to side for later.
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- sprinkle ¼ cup of butterscotch chips on top and gently press them into the batter with your spatula
- Allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes), cut into squares and enjoy!