How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Reese’s pieces Rice Krispie treats are the perfect combination of chocolate peanut butter candy and sweet chewy marshmallow. These treat bars are perfect for snacking or even to include on a dessert table at a party.
What are Reese’s Pieces Rice Krispie Treats?
Reese’s pieces Rice Krispie treats are a combination of marshmallows, Rice Krispies cereal, butter and Reese’s pieces candy. Be super simple four ingredient no bake cereal treats can be easily made and just around 15 minutes or so.
Reese’s pieces are colorful chocolate and peanut butter flavored candies with a sugar candy shell. They come in a mixture of yellow, orange and brown candies. They are perfect addition to regular rice krispie treats and add a powerful punch of peanut butter and chocolate flavor.
If you love the peanut butter chocolate combination you may also like peanut butter cup rice krispie treats or peanut butter chocolate treats.
Reese’s pieces alone added into Rice Krispie treats provide a flavorful punch to your favorite dessert bar. However, if you’re looking for something even a little more extra try these out:
- Add a chocolate drizzle: if you love extra chocolate, melt down some chocolate chips and add a little chocolate drizzle to the top of your bars.
- Add more Reese’s pieces: if you really want to go over the top take extra Reese’s pieces and press them into the top of your bars in a thin layer.
- Add peanut butter: if you’re a huge fan of peanut butter, you can make the base of the treats with peanut butter. This will add an even richer peanut butter flavor to your Rice Krispie treats.
How to Make these treats
These treats are super simple tonight. You take the original Rice Krispie treat recipe and simply add a cup of Reese’s pieces candy to it.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- 1 Cup Reese’s Pieces
Make sure that you have everything you need to make your treats. Gather up your Reese’s pieces, Rice Krispies cereal, butter, marshmallows, spatula, pan, microwave safe bowl or pot.
You also want to make sure that you pre-crease everything. The marshmallow mixture will be extremely sticky and difficult to work with if your utensils are not greased.
You can use either a piece of butter or some non-stick cooking spray to do with greasing. The butter tends to be a little bit more difficult to work with, but it has a better flavor.
To get started, you need to melt together your butter and your marshmallows. You have two choices and how to do this. You can use a microwave or you can use a pot on the stove top.
The microwave method is much faster at only a few minutes versus 10 minutes on the stove. However, the stove method gives you a lot more control over the amount of heat you use when melting your marshmallows.
On the stove:
- Take your pot and add four tablespoons of butter to it.
- Place your pot with the butter in it on a burner at low heat.
- Stir your butter occasionally until it is almost completely melted.
- Take your 16 oz of marshmallows and add that to your pot with butter.
- Leave your heat on low, but stir your marshmallows frequently.
- Remove everything from the heat once the marshmallows are mostly melted and stir a couple extra times to ensure everything is thoroughly mixed and melted together.
- Grab your butter and marshmallows and toss them into a microwave safe dish.
- Stick your dish full of butter and marshmallows into your microwave and heat for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Once that time is up, remove the bowl and stir everything well.
- Place back in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time stirring in between each heating until marshmallows are melted.
Measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and slowly add your cereal to your melted butter and marshmallows.
If you add around ⅓ of the total cereal at a time, fold it and thoroughly to your marshmallow mixture and then add more cereal that tends to be the easiest way to work things in easily and consistently.
Measure out one cup of Reese’s pieces. Dump the candies into your cereal and marshmallow mixture.
Gently fold everything together being careful not to press the candies too much or they will pop open.
Note: we usually add the candies after the cereal so that the marshmallows have time to cool and don’t melt the candies as much.
Once you have thoroughly combined your cereal, candy and marshmallow mixture, take your pre-greased spatula and pan and dump the mixture into your pan.
Lightly press the mixture into the pan until you have achieved a consistent thickness throughout.
Now, you need to wait for your treats to cool. This usually takes around 30 minutes or so.
After your treats have cooled, grease a knife and cut your cereal treats into 16 even servings.
- Let things cool: if you add your Reese’s pieces candy when the marshmallows are too hot they will melt and burst open. Though the flavor is still good this way it is not the same as biting into whole intact candies. Therefore, let the marshmallows cool just a smidge before adding your candies. Do make sure not to wait too long or your marshmallows will be too stiff to work them in.
- Be gentle: be gentle when you fold the cereal in and when you fold the candies in to your marshmallows. Pressing things too much will pop your candies open and also make hard compact bars if you press the cereal too hard into the marshmallows.
- Don’t heat too much: if you overheat your marshmallows they can become stiff due to the sugar and then crystallizing. Stiff marshmallows result in more brittle hard treats. Make sure to heat your marshmallows only long enough to melt them and no longer.
- Your treats should be good for upwards of five plus days.
- Make sure to use an airtight container for best storage.
- Keep them at room temperature to maintain the best texture. Putting them in the fridge can make them last longer but your treats can become hard.
- If you won’t eat them quick enough, wrap them individually place them in freezer bags and freeze them for later.
Reese’s Pieces Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup Reese's Pieces
- Gather your ingredients and supplies.
- Grease your pan and spatula with butter or non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt your marshmallows and butter together on the stovetop or in the microwave
- Add 16 oz of marshmallow and 4 tbs of butter together in a bowl.
- Microwave for 30 – 60 seconds.
- Remove and stir.
- Heat again for 30 seconds and stir.
- Repeat 30 second heating and stirring until marshmallows and butter are melted.
- Add 4 tbs of butter to pot
- Heat on low, stirring occassionally until butter is mostly melted.
- Add 16 oz of marshmallows to melted butter.
- Heat on low, stirring frequently until marshmallows are mostly melted.
- Remove from heat and keep stirring until marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add 6 cups of rice krispie cereal slowly to your marshmallow mixture.
- Once the cereal and marshmallows are totally combined, add 1 cup of Reeses Pieces. Stir in well.Note: you don't want the marshmallows totally cooled, but make sure they aren't so hot they will melt the candies.
- Take greased pan and add cereal, candy and marshmallow mixture to it.
- Gently press the treats into the pan, being careful not to crush your candy.
- Allow the treats to cool – about 30 minutes.
- Using a knife, cut your treats into 16 even bars.