If you love the flavor of caramel, then you love these caramel Rice Krispie treats. These treats are full of pockets of ooey gooey caramel goodness.
What are caramel rice krispie treats
Caramel Rice Krispie treats are combination of butter, marshmallows, Rice Krispies cereal and squares of caramel candy. These super easy no-bake for ingredient dessert bars are perfect for any occasion. You can have these whipped up in just about 15 minutes.
With their sweet flavor and chewy texture these treats are perfect for afternoon snacking, easy desserts, or even holiday parties.
These caramel Rice Krispie treats are very similar to other Rice Krispie treats that have a candy add-in such as m&m Rice Krispie treats, Reese's pieces Rice Krispie treats and chocolate chip rice krispie treats.
For these treats we used chunks of square caramel candies. However, if you want to mix this up a little here are a few ideas:
- Add a caramel drizzle: if the caramel candy isn't enough caramel flavor for you, melt down some caramel and add drizzle to the top of your treats.
- Use caramel apple sauce: you can either mix this caramel in to your treats or spread it on the top of your treats for an extra zing of caramel. Either replace the caramel candies with this sauce or add to it
- Caramel dipped treats: caramel candy apple sauce and dip your treats in it, then let it harden a little in the fridge.
- Melt your caramel candies: if you don't want big thick pockets of caramel in your treats, melt your caramel candies while you melt your marshmallows and butter so that you have an all over caramel flavor.
- Add chocolate: add some chocolate and make chocolate caramel treats.
How to Make these treats
If you can make original Rice Krispie treats, then you can whip these up in no time. All you have to do is add a cup of caramel candy.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- 1 cup of caramel candies
Get all your ingredients and supplies together. And then grease your pan and spatula.
When you grease your pan and spatula you can use other butter or nonstick cooking spray. Either one works great it just depends on what your preference is.
To start this recipe off, you need to melt your butter and your marshmallows together. You can use either a microwave or the stove top to melt them.
- Measure 4 tablespoon of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows and add both ingredients to a microwave safe bowl.
- Take your bowl and stick it into your microwave.
- Heat butter and marshmallows for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Go ahead and stir everything together well.
- Put your bowl back into your microwave and heat for 30 seconds.
- Stir everything well again.
- Repeat this process of heating and stirring at 30 seconds until your marshmallows have melted.
- Measure four tablespoons of butter and place that in a pot.
- Turn a burner on low and put your pot with the butter in it on your burner.
- Heat your butter on low stirring it occasionally until it is almost completely melted.
- Now, measure 16 oz of marshmallows and add that to your melted butter.
- Heat your marshmallows on low heat stirring frequently until they have almost completely melted.
- Remove your pot from the heat and stir everything well until they have finished melting.
Measure out 6 cups of rice krispies cereal. Slowly pour the cereal into your melted butter and marshmallow mixture.
Make sure that you slowly add the cereal and stir it before adding more so that you can make sure everything is evenly coated and combined well.
Measure one cup of caramel candies. And pour them into your cereal and marshmallow mixture.
Stir the candies into the mixture until they are well combined.
note: so that your caramel candies don't melt, you need to make sure that your marshmallow mixture is not too hot when you add them. If you slowly add your cereal first, it should be at an okay temperature to add your caramels at this point.
Once all of your cereal and caramel candies are added and thoroughly combined with your marshmallow and butter mixture, take your greased spatula and pan.
Use your spatula to remove the cereal and marshmallow mixture from your bowl and transfer it to your pan. Then, use your spatula to lightly press the mixture down into the pan so that it is even across the entire pan.
Set your pan of treats aside to cool. Once they are cooled off, take a greased knife and it cut your treats into 16 even squares.
Pro Tips and treat storage
- Store your treats: you can store your treats for upwards of 5 days as long as they are kept at room temperature and in an airtight container. If you choose to keep them in the fridge they will get a little hard and be less chewy. If you will not consume your treats in this time frame, go ahead and individually wrap them, place them and freezer bags and freeze them for later.
- Cut your candy: if you find that your caramel candies are too large, you can slice them in half before adding them to your cereal mixture. The caramels that we got were relatively small and it well in the cereal but you wouldn't want them to be so big that you can't easily bite them in the treats.
- Cool it down: having big chunks of caramel candy in the streets is part of the burst of flavor. In order to make sure that the caramel candies don't melt, make sure that your marshmallow and cereal mixture is cool enough before adding them. However, if you let your mixture cool too much it will be harder and very difficult to fold the candies in.
Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 cup Caramel Candies
- Make sure you have all of your ingredients and supplies gathered and ready. Also make sure to pre-grease your spatula and pan.
- Melt your butter together with your marshmallows by heating them on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Take 4 tbs of butter and heat on low heat on the stovetop.
- Stir your butter occassionally as it heats.
- Take 16 oz of marshamallows and add to your pot once butter is almost melted.
- Stir marshmallows frequently as they heat.
- Remove pot from heat when marshmallows are almost melted. Keep stirring until they are fully melted.
- Take 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshamallows and add to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat bowl of butter and marshamallows in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Remove bowl from microwave and stir well.
- Heat bowl again for 30 seconds and then stir.
- Repeat heating and stirring until marshmallows and butter are fully melted and combined.
- Take 6 cups of rice krispie cereal and slowly stir into the marshmallow and butter mixture.
- Once cereal is fully mixed, add 1 cup of caramel candy and stir in well.
- Take pan and spoon mixture from bowl into pan.
- Gently press the treat mixture into your pan to that is is even throughout.
- Let treats cool down for around 30 minutes.
- Then, cut treats into 16 squares with a knife.