Fall is in the air with these flavorful pumpkin spice rice krispie treats. These are so easy to make and require no baking. Whip up a batch this Fall for your holiday meals or just everyday snacking.
What are pumpkin spice rice krispie treats?
Pumpkin spice rice krispie treats are a combination of butter, marshmallows, rice krispie cereal, pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla. They are a super yummy, no bake dessert bar that you can have ready in under 30 minutes.
These pumpkin spice rice krispie treats are made similarly to other flavored treats such as Bischoff Rice Krispie Treats or Nutella Rice Krispie treats. You take the base original treat recipe and add in some additional ingredients to get the flavor you are looking for.
These treats are perfect for any Fall or winter get together such as Thanksgiving, Christmas dessert, Halloween parties or even just your own snacking or family after dinner dessert. They are so easy to make you can get a batch ready in no time.
If you are looking to even further spice up your treats, try out these possible different ideas:
- Make Your Own Pumpkin Pie Spice: you can make homemade pumpkin pie spice instead of buying it pre-made in the store.
- Add some frosting: get extra sweet and decadent by adding frosting to the top of your treats. Cream cheese frosting goes really well with the pumpkin spice flavor. Or, you can even make pumpkin spice frosting if you want to go all in.
- Add some sprinkles: want to add a little pizzazz to your treats? Add in some sprinkles any color or kind you want. They can go right into the batter, or go on top of the frosting if you choose to add that.
- Use a cookie cutter: what's more fun than flavored treats? Flavored treats that are shaped the way they taste, of course! Use a pumpkin shaped cookie cutter to have shaped treats.
- Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats: use this recipe as the "filling" to make pumpkin pie rice krispie treats.
How to Make these treats
These treats are a few extra steps from the basic treat recipe, but they're still super easy to make. No need to be a master baker or chef and you can still get perfect treats.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Pumpkin Puree
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
Grab together all of your supplies and all of your ingredients so everything is ready go go.
Also, make sure that you grease your pan and spatula well before getting started as the marshmallows are incredibly sticky. You can use non-stick cooking spray or butter to grease things.
To get started, melt your butter and marshmallows together. This can be done on the stove or in the microwave.
On the stove:
- Put 4 tbs of butter into a pot.
- Heat butter on low until it is almost fully melted. You should stir occasionally while melting.
- Put 16 oz of marshmallows into the pot with the butter.
- Heat on low and stir frequently.
- Once marshmallows are almost melted, add in pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice.
- Remove pot from heat and continue to stir until marshmallows are melted and everything is mixed well.
In the microwave:
- Put 16 oz of marshmallows and 4 tbs of butter together in a microwave safe dish.
- Heat them together in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Stir butter and marshmallows well.
- Put back into the microwave for 30 seconds and then stir.
- Add in pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice when marshmallows are almost melted.
- Heat once more to fully melted and stir together well.
Now, take 6 cups of rice krispies cereal and add it into your pumpkin and marshmallow mixture. Add the cereal slowly so that it is easier to stir in.
Once the cereal is well combined with the pumpkin and marshmallows, move your treat mixture into your greased pan. Use your spatula to pat down the treats to ensure they are about the same thickness throughout the pan.
Before cutting into the treats, allow them to cool for a bit. 30 minutes is usually sufficient. You can cut prior to this, but they will be much stickier and more prone to falling apart.
Cut treats into 16 squares and enjoy!
- Don't smash anything: the mixture can be a little thick especially when adding in the pumpkin puree, but it is important to not crush the cereal or you will end up with treats that are more compact and hard instead of soft and chewy. Try folding the cereal in to the marshmallows instead of stirring.
- Cool faster: if you don't want to wait the 30 minutes or so for your treats to cool, you can put your pan into the refrigerator or freezer for a few minutes to speed it up. Do note if you leave them in very long it can make your treats hard.
- Use fresh marshmallows: you should use fresh and unopened marshmallows to make your treats. Marshmallows that are old or stale will get stiff and brittle when they cool after heating and this can make your treats hard.
- Don't overheat the marshmallows: marshmallows that are overheated can get hard and stiff when the cool which makes your treats less soft and chewy. Try to only heat the marshmallows just long enough to get them melted.
Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice more if desired
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Get your ingredients and your supplies gathered up.
- Grease your pan and your spatula with either butter or non-stick cooking spray
- Note: below are instructions for melting marshmallows and butter together in the microwave, if you want to melt on the stove instructions are in the post above.
- Place 16 of of marshmallows and 4 tbs of butter into a microwave safe dish.
- Heat butter and marshmallows on high for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir butter and marshmallows together.
- Heat for 30 more seconds.
- Remove from microwave and stir. If marshmallows are close to being melted, add in ½ cup of pumpkin puree, ½ teaspoon of vanilla and 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice.
- Heat again for 30 seconds and stir well. Stop heating and stirring once marshmallows are completely melted.
- Measure 6 cups of rice krispies cereal and add that into you marshmallow and pumpkin mixture.
- Fold cereal in completely.
- Transfer treat mixture from bowl into greased pan.
- Use spatula to lighly press treat mixture into pan.
- Set aside to cool for 30 minutes.
- Use a knife that has been greased to cut into 16 treats.