If you love the buttery, spicy, sweet taste of biscoff cookies then you must try these Biscoff Rice Krispie treats. These treats are full of rich cookie flavor and perfect for any dessert table or afternoon snack.
What are Biscoff Rice Krispie Treats?
Biscoff Rice Krispie treats are combination of marshmallow, butter, Rice Krispie cereal and Biscoff cookie butter spread. They are super easy no bake 4 ingredient dessert bars that can be made in 10 minutes or so.
Biscoff spread is a spread about the consistency of peanut butter that is made from and flavored like Biscoff cookies. It has buttery and caramel flavors as well as ginger and cinnamon spices. They are sort of reminiscent of a combination of animal crackers and gingerbread cookies.
Though these treats are super rich and delicious on their own, here are a few ideas to make them even more decadent:
- Add Biscoff cookies: what could be better than simply packing these treats with even more Biscoff cookie flavor? Crumble up some cookies and add about a quarter to a half a cup to your batter.
- Add a glazed drizzle: for a little extra sweetness, much like some animal cookies have icing, go ahead and whip up a simple sugar glaze and drizzle on top of your treats.
- Add an extra cinnamon kick: the flavor of cinnamon is already present in these streets, but if you love cinnamon you could add a little extra to your batter for an extra spicy kick.
- Use other cookie butter: there are other variations of cookie butter spread available. Biscoff is just the most well-known brand name.
How to Make these treats
To make these treats you simply use the original Rice Krispie treat recipe and add in ¾ of a cup of Biscoff cookie butter. It's so easy to make and the end result is a delicious decadent treat.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- ¾ cup of Biscoff Spread
Gather together your Biscoff cookie spread, marshmallows, butter, Rice Krispies cereal, pan, microwave safe bowl or pot and spatula.
It's also very important to make sure that anything that will touch your marshmallows is well greased. The marshmallow mixture is extremely sticky and if you don't grease everything it can be very difficult to work with.
You can use butter or a non-stick cooking spray to grease things. The non-stick cooking spray tends to be faster and create a more even coating while the butter tends to have a slightly better flavor.
Alternatively, you could use a non-stick pan and skip greasing your pan. You would still want to grease your spatula in this case.
Once you have everything gathered up, you'll need to melt your butter Biscoff cookie spread and marshmallows together. You have two options for melting, either in the microwave or on your stove top.
Method for microwave treats:
- Get four tablespoons of butter, ¾ of a cup of Biscoff cookie butter and 16 oz of marshmallows and place all three ingredients into a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat your ingredients in the microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Once they have heated, remove the bowl and stir everything together well.
- Place the bowl back in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds.
- Once it is heated again, remove it and stir.
- Continue heating and stirring until your marshmallows are almost completely melted.
- Once almost completely melted, removed from the microwave and stir well until everything finishes melting. Try to do this relatively fast so that nothing starts to cool too much or the shaft spread will start to get thick and hard.
Method for stove top treats:
- Measure ¾ of a cup of Biscoff cookie butter and four tablespoons of butter and place both into a pot.
- Place your pot on your stove at low heat.
- Heat your butter and Biscoff cookie butter until the butter is almost completely melted.
- Now, add your 16 oz of marshmallows to your pot.
- Keep your heat at low while you melt your marshmallows and stir frequently.
- Once marshmallows are close to being completely melted remove them from the heat and continue stirring until they finish melting.
Use a measuring cup to measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispie cereal. Add your cereal to your marshmallow, Biscoff and butter mixture a little at a time stirring it in well. Continue adding until all of your cereal has been thoroughly combined with your marshmallows.
note: the Biscoff cookie spread can be thick and kind of difficult to work with. Do your best to work fast so that the marshmallows don't cool too much.
Go ahead and grab your greased pan. Use your spatula to move your mixture from your bowl into your pan.
Gently press your cereal and marshmallow mixture into the pan until it has an even consistency and thickness.
You'll want to let your treats cool before you cut them. Or they can be rather sticky. Cooling time is usually around 30 minutes. You can place in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes to speed it up.
Once they've cooled a bit, he's a greased knife and cut your treats into 16 even squares.
- Stir quickly: well it's important to stir everything well to help the marshmallows and butter melts, the Biscoff cookie butter can be a little thick and it's important to work it in quickly so that you can add your cereal before anything starts to cool.
- Use new and fresh marshmallows: marshmallow should be new, unopened and fresh. If you get steel or old marshmallows they can become stiff and brittle once melted making your treats hard and crunchy instead of soft and chewy.
- Add your biscoff in with your butter: to make the Biscoff easiest to work with, make sure to add it in with your butter. You can add it directly to the butter on the stove top or in the microwave you can do your butter and Biscoff for 30 seconds to start if you want to get it extra value.
- Don't overheat anything: make sure not to overheat your marshmallows. Marshmallows have a high sugar content and sugar can crystallize when heated too much this results in stiff and brittle marshmallows causing a texture of your treats to not be as chewy or soft.
- For thicker treats: you can simply use an 8x8 plan if you want a smaller number of treats that are thicker in size.
- Don't press too hard: make sure not to press your mixture to firmly into your pan, if you crush the cereal or compress things too much it can cause your treats to be compact and hard.
- These treats will stay good for five or so days.
- For maximum freshness they should be kept in sealed Ziploc bags or airtight containers such as Pyrex with the lids on.
- Room temperature will maintain the best texture for your treats. The refrigerator can make them cold and rather hard while the room being too hot can make them melty.
Freeze treats for later
- Treats can be frozen for 6 Plus months.
- They should either be individually wrapped in wax paper or flash Frozen spaced apart on a cookie sheet.
- If wrapping in wax paper you can wrap them and play some straight into freezer bags into the freezer.
- If flash freezing you should separate them on a cookie sheet freeze them in the freezer and then they can be placed into freezer bags without wrapping.
- When you remove them from the freezer they will be rather hard, you can let them fall either at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Biscoff Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ¾ cup Biscoff Cookie Spread
- Grab all of your supplies and ingredients.
- Take some butter or some non-stick cooking spray and grease your pan and spatula.
- Dump 4 tbs of butter, ¾ cup of biscoff spread and 16 oz of marshmallows into a microwave safe dish.
- Heat everything in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Once heated, remove and stir well.
- Heat again for 30 seconds, stirring again after heating.
- Keep doing a 30 second heat followed by a good stir until your marshmallows are well melted and everything is combined.
- Add in 6 cups of rice krispie cereal. The bischoff spread can make this rather tough to mix in.
- Once the cereal is well combined, move your treats into your pan that has been greased.
- Lightly press the treat mixture into the pan using your spatula.
- Wait around 30 minutes for the treats to cool
- Cut treats into 16 squares using a greased knife.