How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Want something a little different to snack on this week? Throw in some Nutella to your regular Rice Krispie Treat recipe and add a delicious fun new twist on an already great classic and make these Nutella Rice Krispie Treats!
How to make Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
Nutella rice krispie treats are a simple 4 ingredient, no bake dessert. You only need rice krispie cereal, marshmallows, butter and Nutella. You can have these mixed up in around 15 minutes.
With how quick and easy these are, combined with their sugary goodness, these dessert bars are perfect for most any time such as parties, BBQ's, Family Gatherings or just snacking.
What is Nutella?
Nutella is a sweet chocolate hazelnut spread. It is made by Ferrero which is an Italian company well known for this spread as well as Tic Tac's and Kinder chocolate bars.
There are a few different ways that you can make these treats. Just buying regular nutella is the easiest and most common, but here are a few options:
- Use another brand: Nutella is the most popular chocolate Hazelnut spread, but there are other brands like Nocciolata or Justin's Chocolate Hazelnut butter (both are organic)
- Make your own: it's actually not too difficult to just make your own. This Homemade Nutella is a good starting point.
- Double the chocolate: If you're a big chocolate nut, you can replace the Rice Krispies with Cocoa Krispies.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- ¾ Cup of Nutella
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
If you've already tried our Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats recipe, you will have no problem making this recipe. These are made the same exact way, just substituting Nutella for Peanut Butter.
First thing you need to do is melt 4 tablespoons of butter in your large stock pot. Do this on low to medium heat. This should take a few minutes to melt completely.
Once your butter is completely melted, you will want to add a bag of marshmallows to the pot. Make sure to keep the heat low and stir frequently while the marshmallows melt.
Once you have a good mixture of butter and marshmallow, add in ¾ of a cup of Nutella. Stir this until it has a nice, almost creamy texture.
Want to make it in the microwave? You can make this even quicker by melting everything together in the microwave.
- Put your 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows into a bowl.
- Heat them in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds, then stir well.
- Continue heating and stirring in 30 second intervals until everything is melted.
- Pop in your ¾ cup of Nutella and microwave for an additional 30 seconds so it is easy to stir in.
Remove your marshmallow and Nutella mixture from the heat and, while still stirring, pour in 6 cups of Rice Krispies. Continue to stir until every Rice Krispie is covered in marshmallow goodness. You will likely need to scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula periodically while mixing.
Take out your 9x13 brownie pan and grease the sides and bottom. You can do this with butter or a spray, whichever you prefer. You will also want to grease your spatula so you can spread your Rice Krispie Treats evenly without them sticking too much.
Using a large spoon and your spatula, start moving your mixture from your stock pot to your pan. Once everything is in your brownie pan, you can use you spatula to press the mixture down into the pan and smooth it out across the top.
Do this until the pan is full and your entire mix is even.
The hard part is walking away from your dessert for a little while, but trust me, it is worth it. You will want to let your treats cool for a while so they are easier to cut. If you try to cut them now, they will fall apart and make a big mess.
Once your Rice Krispie Treats are cool (sometimes I cheat and put them in the fridge to speed up the process), you can cut them.
We usually but them four width-wise and four length-wise for a total of 16 squares. Put them on a small plate or napkin and you are ready to enjoy!
How to store
- Place your uneaten treats in an airtight container
- Store at room temperature; Colder storage like in the fridge can make treats a bit hard.
- They last for a few days stored like this. If you won't eat them in this timeframe, then you can consider freezing your Treats for later.
Nutella Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 brownie pan
- measuring cups
- large stock pot
- 1 bag Marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 4 TBS Butter
- ¾ cups Nutella
- Add butter to large stock pot on stove top and set heat to medium.
- Once butter is melted, add in marshmallows and stir until marshmallows and butter are melted together.
- add in ¾ cups of Nutella and stir
- add Rice Krispies
- stir mixture together
- pour mixture into 9x13 pan
- allow to cool before cutting