It's that time of year again. The days are getting shorter, the air is getting cooler, and the leaves are changing color. What better time than to make a little bit of pumpkin pie... Rice Krispie Treats that is?
How to Make Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
When we say Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats are not flavored like pumpkin pie, but they do look just like one (similar to Watermelon Rice Krispie Treats). These are easy to make 5 ingredient, no bake treats that can be ready in around 15 to 20 minutes.
This dessert treat is perfect for Fall and Thanksgiving. It is a little different than your typical Thanksgiving dessert, but still fits the theme. These are sure to be the talk of any gathering.
Though we made this with just food coloring and decorating it like a pumpkin pie, there are a few other ways you can try this one:
- Use Pumpkin Spice Pudding: if you want it to have a pumpkin pie flavor, you can add in pumpkin spice pudding like in these chocolate pudding treats.
- Use Pumpkin Pie Filling: again to flavor these treats you can add in a little pumpkin pie filling.
- Add Pumpkin Spice: another way to flavor them is adding in a few dashes of pumpkin spice.
- Add an actual pie crust: If you want to add a crust for your pie, you can just put an actual crust in the pan before adding your treats.
- Add a rice krispie pie crust: if you want the crust look, but to stick with rice krispies, you can make original recipe and press a thin layer into the pan before adding your orange treats.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Food Coloring
- Whipped Cream
This dessert is pretty easy to make. If you're familiar with making our Colored Rice Krispies, especially our Orange Rice Krispie Treats, this will be no problem for you. The only extra item you'll need other than orange food coloring is whipped cream and an 8 inch pie pan.
Add 4 tablespoons of butter into a large stock pot and then melt it on your stovetop. While your butter is melting, pull out half of a large bag of Jet Puff Marshmallows.
Once your butter has mostly melted, pour your marshmallows into pot. Stir the butter and marshmallows together with a spatula until they're all melted together.
Turn off the heat and now you will want to add in your orange food coloring. Add as much as you like until you have the shade of orange that you want.
Once you have your marshmallows the color of orange you like, add in 6 measured cups of Rice Krispies cereal. Stir the cereal into the marshmallow mix with a spatula until everything is blended together completely.
If the cereal has caused the orange color to dull a little bit, you can add more food coloring right now until it is back to the color you want.
Take out your 8 inch pie pan and spray the bottom and side walls with your favorite flavorless baking spray. We like to use canola oil, but any baking spray will work.
Use your spatula to scoop your Rice Krispie Treat batter into the bottom of the pie pan. Flatten it all out until it is completely even.
Now set your Rice Krispie Treats to the side for about 30 minutes and allow them to cool.
Once your Rice Krispie Treats have cooled completely, it's time to add the whipped cream! As you can see in the picture, we like to put a thin ring of whipped cream around the outside of the pie. Then we like to put one more pretty large dollop right in the center.
Now pull out a knife and get ready to cut them. Normally we would cut our Rice Krispie Treats into squares, but since we're making pie that is not the case.
Use your knife to cut your pie into wedges, just like you would cut a normal pie. This recipe should give you about 8 pieces.
See? It's a super easy recipe! Try this out during the holiday season and be the talk of the dessert table.
Pumpkin Pie Rice Krispie Treats
- 8" Pie Pan
- large stock pot
- 6 cups Rice Krispies
- 16 oz marshmallows
- 6 TBS butter
- 1 tube orange food coloring
- Whipped cream
- melt 6 TBS butter and 16 oz marshmallows in large stock pot
- stir until melted together
- add in orange food coloring
- stir and add food coloring until desired level of orange is reached
- add in 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal
- stir until Rice Krispies and marshmallow mix is completely orange (add more food coloring if needed)
- spray 8" pie pan with canola oil
- add Rice Krispies mix into the pan and flatten with a spatula
- spray a thin ring of whipped cream around the outside of the pie and add a dollop in the center
- Cut, serve, and enjoy!