If you're looking for a sweet, delicious and super easy to make dessert this cold, no bake banana pudding is perfect. You only need five simple ingredients and about 15 minutes to get this decadent layered dessert ready to enjoy.
If you aren't from the south, you might not be familiar with banana pudding. It is a layered dessert made from vanilla pudding, milk, banana slices, whipped cream and Nilla wafers.
This cold, no bake banana pudding is the easiest version you can possibly make. All you have to do is mix your ingredients up and then layer everything together - just like these easy pudding dirt cups.
Not only is this dessert recipe super quick, you can make it in about 15 minutes, it's also really inexpensive. You only need five ingredients and they're all simple and cheap.
This easy to make dessert is bursting with sweet banana flavor and creamy pudding and whipped cream. It is perfect for a wide variety of occasions from barbecues to potlucks or holiday celebrations.
Instant pudding is a great addition to a wide variety of easy desserts including this vanilla pudding poke cake or these chocolate pudding brownies.
🧁Why To Try This Recipe
Super fast - This recipe is extremely quick and easy to make. You only need about 15 minutes to get everything put together.
Inexpensive - This dessert is very cheap to make. You only need five very simple ingredients all of which are relatively inexpensive.
Make ahead for a crowd - This dessert can easily be made the day before a big event. Additionally, it's easy to make a double or triple batch if you need it for a large crowd.
- Measuring cups
- Spatula or wooden spoon
- 8x8 pan or dish
- Vanilla Pudding - instant pudding provides the creaminess in this dessert. Any brand is fine.
- Nilla Wafers - these cookies provide a little texture to the dessert. You can use any brand of vanilla wafer you prefer.
- Sliced Bananas - bananas should be ripe, but not overripe. Yellow with a few brown spots works well.
- Milk - We like to use reduced fat milk. But, you can use whatever type of milk you prefer including dairy free.
- Whipped Topping - This adds a little extra creaminess both to the pudding and the top of the dessert.
See recipe card for quantities.
📖Substitutions & Variations
If you need to make a few ingredients substitutions or if you are looking for a few variations to this recipe, here are a few ideas.
- Substitute banana pudding - instead of using vanilla pudding, you can use banana pudding instead for an extra bang of banana flavor.
- Make your own whipped cream - We like to use pre-made whipped topping to make this super fast and easy. But, if you want it extra fluffy and fresh you can whip up a batch of your own homemade whipped cream instead.
- Use mason jars- easily make this into individual servings by layering your ingredients into mason jars.
- Make for a crowd - double the ingredients and make this in a 9x13 pan if you want to serve to a larger crowd.
Don't want to spend time layering? Make this banana pudding fluff instead.
Follow these easy step-by-step instructions to whip up your cold banana pudding.
Step 1: Add instant vanilla pudding mix to your mixing bowl.
Step 2: Pour milk into the mixing bowl with the instant vanilla pudding.
Step 3: Whisk your pudding together until it is thoroughly mixed.
Step 4: Add in half the container of whipped topping. And thoroughly combine that with the pudding.
Step 5: Place Nilla wafers in a single layer on the bottom of your 8x8 pan.
Step 6: Sliced bananas into ¼ in thick slices. Then, place some of the banana slices in a single layer on top of the Nla wafers.
Step 7: Spoon about half of the pudding and whipped topping mixture into the dish and spread it evenly on top of the banana slices and Nilla wafers.
Step 8: Then, repeat these steps to make a second layer of Nilla wafers, banana slices and then pudding mixture.
Step 9: Finally, spread the second half of the whipped topping on top of the second layer of putting mixture. And, if desired sprinkle some crumbled Nilla wafers on top of that.
Hint: You can serve and enjoy immediately. But, for best results and optimal taste, stick it in the refrigerator for an hour or two before serving.
⭐Recipe Tips for Success
- Thaw whipped topping- to make sure that you can easily mix the whipped topping with the pudding and also spread it in the pan, make sure that you have thawed the whipped topping in advance. You can do this by letting it sit on the counter for an hour or so. Or, you can leave it in the refrigerator for several hours or overnight.
- Slice the bananas just right- try to get your bananas sliced around ¼ to ⅓ of an inch thick. Any thicker and it can make them very chunky when you eat the pudding. Any center, they tend to fall apart a little in the pudding.
One of the best things about this dessert is that it can be stored in the fridge or frozen if you're not going to finish it fast.
- Storage: You can keep this for in the refrigerator and an airtight container for around 3 or 4 days. Any longer and the bananas will start to turn brown and the vanilla wafers will start to get very mushy.
- Freezing: If you won't be finishing your putting within a couple of days, you might want to freeze it to save it for later. Freezing banana pudding is really easy to do. Simply put it in an airtight container and stick it in the freezer for up to a month.
Cold banana pudding can last for around 3 to 5 days in the refrigerator or up to 4 weeks when frozen.
Yes, banana pudding should be covered or put in an airtight container for optimal storage in the fridge.
Yes, you can premake this banana pudding up to a day in advance.
to prevent your banana slices from turning brown, simply toss them in a little lemon juice before layering them into the dish with the pudding.
Cold No Bake Banana Pudding
- measuring cups
- 8x8 Pan
- Wooden spoon or spatula
- Large mixing bowl
- Whisk Optional
- 1 Box Nilla wafers
- 1 5.1 oz Instant Vanilla pudding
- 3-4 Ripe bananas
- 3 Cups Milk
- 8 Oz Whipped topping
- Add the entire package of instant pudding to the mixing bowl.
- Pour three cups of milk into the bowl with the pudding mix.
- Whisk pudding and milk together until thoroughly combined.
- Add half container of whipped topping to bowl with pudding and mix together thoroughly.
- Place a single layer of Nilla wafers on the bottom of the pan or dish.
- Slice bananas into approximately ⅓-1/4 inch slices. And lay half of the slices in a single layer on top of the Nilla wafers.
- Spoon approximately half of the pudding and whipped topping mix into the banana slices and spread it evenly.
- Repeat this layering again starting with a layer of Nilla wafers.
- Once the second layer is complete, add the second half of the whipped topping on top of the last layer of pudding.
- If desired, crumble a few nilla wafers and sprinkle them on top.
- Thaw the whipped topping before using so that it mixes and spreads easily. This can be done on the counter for an hour or so, or overnight in the fridge.
- Toss banana slices in lemon juice to prevent them from browning if you plan to keep for a few days or freeze leftovers.
- Don't make banana slices too thick or too thin to ensure the perfect texture for your pudding.
- You can serve immediately. However chilling for a few hours or overnight allows the flavors to meld nicely.
- Store covered, in and airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Freeze any leftovers that won't be eaten in a few days by placing it in an airtight container or freezer bag and putting into he freezer for up 4 weeks..