How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
These super cute easter egg rice krispie treats will have everyone excited to make them! If you're looking for a fun food craft with the kids or an alternative to plain chocolate eggs, these are absolutely perfect.
You can let your creative side out and make all different variations of Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats or make them all decorated the same.
What are Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats
Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats are bite sized rice treats that are shaped like little eggs and then decorated like you would do with an Easter Egg. I was so excited to make these fun little Rice Krispie Treats. They're so festive and perfect for Easter treats.
These would also be fun to add to a dessert section at a party with these Peeps Rice Krispie Treats.
They taste just like regular rice krispie treats plus whatever frosting, sprinkles or other flavors you add when you decorate them.
There are several ways to go about making Easter Egg rice Krispie Treats. I wanted to focus on decorated ones that can be customized. But here are a few different options:
- Decorated with sprinkles or frosting.
- Made in different colors
- Served next to these Rice Krispie Nests
- instead of shaping the eggs on your own use cookie cutters or small plastic easter eggs.
- Dip the eggs in melted chocolate
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- (optional) Food Coloring
- (optional) Sprinkles
- (optional) Decorative Icing
Basically, you're going to start with the original rice krispie treat recipe. So, you'll melt your butter and marshmallows together. Either in the microwave or on the stove.
On the stove top: First melt your 4 tbs of salted butter on low heat in your pot. Then add in your 10 oz of marshmallows and stir frequently while they melt on low heat. This takes 8 -10 minutes.
In the microwave: Toss in your 4 tbs of salted butter and your 10 oz of marshmallows into your microwave safe bowl. Put them in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds. Remove the bowl and stir well. Heat another 30 seconds and then stir. Continue this until the marshmallows are completely melted.
PRO TIP: Make sure not to over melt them or the marshmallows get too hard.
Next, you'll stir in your 6 cups of Rice Krispies cereal. Make sure that your mixture is mixed well.
Note: if you want to make colored eggs, now is the time to add a few drops of food coloring in. You can even separate the mixture and do a few different colors. Check out colored rice krispie treats for more tips.
You can now form your eggs. Since these are bite sized, we took a small spoonful to shape into each egg.
The mixture is pretty sticky, so you may want to put a smidge of butter or non stick spray in your hands to keep it a little easier to work with it.
Use your hands to shape the rice krispie treats into egg shapes. Then let them cool.
Note: you can also just roll the eggs into a pan and then use an egg shaped cookie cutter. Or you can use small plastic easter eggs that pop open, place the treat mixture inside and it will mold to the shape of the egg.
Finally, it's time to decorate your eggs. Here is where you can be creative and really decorate them in any way you like.
For the ones I made, I used these fun pastel colored sprinkles of different shapes, and icing.
I took white gel icing and did a little thin cover on the top of several of the eggs. Then I sprinkled each of the different colored sprinkles on the eggs.
I also tried out a thicker pink icing with sprinkles. The icing was super delicious, but was a little heavy for the small egg. Next time, I will use a knife to thinly spread it.
You can also dip one end of the egg into melted chocolate (or spread icing there) and then dip into sprinkles for another decorating variation.
If you want to make the perfect, softest treats there's a few pro tips you can follow:
- Don't Overheat: If you overheat your marshmallows they will get hard once they cool. This will make your treats really stiff.
- Cool your treat mixture after shaping your treats, this will help them to not fall apart once you start decorating them.
- If you are using a cookie cutter to shape the treats, cool the mixture prior to cutting them so they cut cleaner.
- Stir the Marshmallows well: while heating the marshmallows will puff up. Stir them frequently to make sure they are melting evenly and mixing in the butter.
Easter Egg Rice Krispie Treats
- 9x13 Pan
- Pan or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 6 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 4 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 10 oz Marshmallows `
- Colored sprinkles
- Icing or gel
- Melt butter and marshmallows. Use 30 seconds at a time in the microwave until melted, or melt on low heat on the stove.
- Stir in Rice Krispie cereal and make sure mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Take small spoonfuls and shape with hands into small egg shapes.
- Let eggs cool. Takes about 20 - 40 Minutes.
- Decorate eggs however you like. I used a little thin dab of gel and then added sprinkles.
For More Delicious Rice Krispie Treats: