How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
These super cute Minnie mouse Rice Krispie treats are perfect for your next party or theme to get together. They are super easy to make and don’t take much time at all. They would make a perfect party favor for a kid’s birthday party.
What are Minnie Mouse Rice krispie treats?
Minnie mouse Rice Krispie treats are simply Rice Krispie treats made from Cocoa Krispies and shaped like Minnie mouse complete with her cute bow. These look like fancy treats, but they only take around 15 or 20 minutes to make.
If you’re looking for a fun party favor for your next kids birthday party or maybe just a centerpiece for your themed dessert table, these treats are sure to please. And you won’t have to spend too much time or money making them. You can also make some Mickey Mouse Treats to go with them.
For these Minnie mouse Rice Krispie treats we chose to make them simple with just an easy bow and some Cocoa Krispies for color. However, if you want to change it up a little here are a few ideas:
- Use a candy bow: there are lots of super cute red pink and other elaborate candy bows out there. You can use one of these instead of decorative gel icing.
- Make them chocolate dipped: we could make these with original Rice Krispie treats and then dip either the ears or the entire face and ears in chocolate to make them their black or brown color.
- Use cocoa pebbles: if you want to substitute out the Cocoa Krispies but still have a similar look, you can use cocoa pebbles which are similar in flavor and milk.
- Use red or pink candy melts: try using red or pink candy melt to dip the ears in if you want an extra splash of color on Minnie.
How to Make these treats
All you have to do to make these treats is start out with the basic cocoa crispy rice treat recipe and two circular cookie cutters of different sizes. You can have these thrown together in about 20 minutes.
- large stock pot or Microwave Safe Bowl
- Measuring Cup
- 9 x 13 baking pan
- Cookie Cutters – one large circle and one smaller circle
- 6 Cups Cocoa Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Decorative Icing
Ensure that you have everything you need to make your treats. Gather up your cookie cutters, pan, spatula, bowl or pot, cocoa krispies, decorative gel icing, butter and marshmallows.
You also need to make sure that you have everything greased before getting started so that your marshmallows don’t stick to everything. You can use either a non-stick cooking spray and spray it on all of your utensils or you can use a pad of better and rub it on everything to grease them.
You need to get your butter and marshmallows melted together. To do this you have a couple of choices. You can use a microwave or you can use the stove top.
The stove top method:
- This method will take around 10 minutes.
- Take four tablespoons of butter and add it to your pot.
- Turn a burner onto low heat and place your pot on the burner.
- Melt your butter slowly stirring occasionally as it melts.
- Once your butter is mostly melted take 16 oz of marshmallows and add it to your pot with your butter.
- Keep your heat on low, but stir your marshmallows frequently as the heat.
- Once they are almost completely melted, remove them from the heat and stir a little bit longer until they have completely melted and combined with your butter.
For microwave treats:
- This method will take only a few minutes.
- You can add both your four tablespoons of butter as well as your 16 oz of marshmallows together into a microwave safe dish.
- Start by heating your butter and marshmallows at 30 to 60 seconds.
- Check their progress and stir them well.
- Pop them back in the microwave heating for 30 seconds at a time.
- Make sure to stir well between heat cycles.
- Repeat this until your marshmallows have melted.
Measure up 6 cups of Cocoa Krispies cereal. You will want to slowly add your cereal into your melted butter and marshmallow mixture.
If you add around ⅓ to ½ of the cereal at a time and then fold it into the mixture it will more easily combine than if you dump the entire six cups and in at once
Make sure that you have a consistent and thoroughly mixed cereal and marshmallow batter. Then, take your greased pan and greased spatula.
Use your spatula to spoon your marshmallow mixture from your bowl or pot into your pan. Softly pressed the mixture down into your pan so that you get an even thickness.
Before using your cookie cutter on your treats, you must let them cool some. It typically takes around 30 minutes for them to cool.
Now, take your larger circle cookie cutter and cut out several circles from your treat pan.
Now, take your smaller circle cookie cutter and cut out two small circles for each large circle.
Gently press two circles onto the top of each large circle so that you have ears for your Minnie mouse.
Finally, add her bow. Take some red decorative gel icing and draw a little bow on the top of her head between her two ears.
- Use low heat: if you overheat your marshmallows it will cause the sugar content and them to crystallize resulting in stiff marshmallows and hard treats. Make sure to use a low heat on the stove and only as much time as needed at a minimum to melt your marshmallows in the microwave.
- Marshmallows will puff up: as you melt your marshmallows they will puff up and become extremely large especially if you were doing it in the microwave. Make sure to stir them well as you heat them so that they aren’t as puffy and can distribute the heat and melt more thoroughly.
- Add a little Grease: when you’re using your cookie cutters, you may want to grease them a little bit so that you have an easier time getting a clean cut on your circles.
- Use a knife: depending on how deep your cookie cutters are, it may be difficult to get them through the entire thickness of the treats. Using a greased knife to help cut around the edges of the cookie cutter will leave you with cleaner crisper circles.
Minnie Mouse Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- Large and Small Circle Cookie Cutter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Cocoa Krispies
- Red Decorative Gel Icing
- Get all of your supplies and equipment gathered together.
- Pre-grease your cookie cutter, pan and spatula.
- Add 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows to a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat butter and marshmallows for 30 – 60 seconds in the microwave.
- After the timer goes off, remove them and stir it all together.
- Continue heating for 30 seconds and stirring until butter and marshmallows are melted and combined.
- Note: for melting butter and marshmallows on the stove follow instructions written out in post above.
- Add 6 cups of cocoa krispies to your marshmallows and stir them into until the mixture is well combined.
- Now, take your pan and add your marshmallow and cereal mix to the pan.
- Gently press the treat mixture into your pan so that it is an even thickness across the pan.
- Let your pan of treats cool for around 30 minutes.
- Take your large round cookie cutter and cut a few circle treats.
- Then, take your small round cookie cutter and cut two treats per each large circle.
- Lightly press your small circle treats onto the top of your larger treat so it has ears. (note: you can use a paper straw, frosting, melted marshmallow if the ears aren't sticking well)
- Take your red gel and draw a bow between the ears