How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
As if Rice Krispie Treats weren't magical enough already, we figured out a way to make them even more so. These Unicorn Rice Krispie Treats are so much fun!
How to make Unicorn Rice Krispie Treats
Unicorn Rice Krispie Treats are a fun decorative, no bake dessert. You only need 3 ingredients plus whatever items you want to use for decorating like icing and sprinkles. If you have kids, they will LOVE this as a project they can eat.
If you've ever tried out one of our other cookie cutter recipes, like Frozen Theme Rice Krispie Treats or Dinosaur Rice Krispie Treats, this will be easy for you to do. The most fun part though is at the end when you get to be creative and decorate your unicorn.
PRO TIP: Whenever we have a recipe that is a bit more intricate, like decorating or specific cuts, we make it as a half batch. That makes the treats thinner and easier to cut. But if you want a full sized batch, you can easily double the ingredients.
These treats can be whatever you want them to be really as the decoration is all up to you. We will give you the steps below for how we made the ones pictured. But here are a few other ideas you can also try:
- Use Sprinkles and no icing: instead of icing your treats, you could add sprinkles into your treats for a spattering of rainbow color.
- Make multi-colored treats: add some food coloring into your mixture so you have colorful treats.
- Use candies to decorate: instead of gel and sprinkles, you could use things like chocolate chips and other small candies to decorate your unicorn.
- 3 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 8 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 2 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Decorative Icing
Gather up all of your supplies and ingredients so that everything in in one place and ready to go. You will also want to get your bowl, pan and spatula pre-greased.
For greasing, you can use either butter or a non-stick cooking spray. Both work fine. The butter tends to taste a little better while the spray tends to be quicker and easier to use.
You will start with your pot. Put it on your stove top burner of choice and set your heat to low. Put 2 tablespoons of butter into the pot and allow it to melt.
Once your butter is mostly melted, add in half a 16 oz bag of Jet Puff Marshmallows. Stir them together until your marshmallows are completely melted and your marshmallows have a nice buttery yellow hue to them.
If you want to do this in the microwave, it can speed it up from 10 minutes to just a couple of minutes.
- Toss together your butter and marshmallows in a bowl.
- Heat the bowl in the microwave for 30 - 60 seconds.
- Remove the bowl and stir everything well.
- Back in the microwave for 30 secs at a time, stirring after each heating until it is all melted.
Measure out 3 cups of Rice Krispies and dump them into the marshmallow butter mix. Stir everything together with your spatula until all of the cereal is completely coated.
Use you spatula to scoop the treat mix from the pot and into the pan. Flatten them out completely into the bottom of the pan and set to the side and allow to cool.
While waiting for it to cool, you can get out your unicorn cookie cutters and other decorating supplies.
For a batch this size, you should be able to get 4 or more unicorn shapes, depending on the size of your cookie cutter. Place your cookie cutter in position and press down firmly and evenly. Lift the cutter up and use a knife or spatula to remove any excess treat.
Continue until you have all of your cutouts ready. Marshmallow treats are nice for these projects because you can usually take all of that extra treat you trimmed off of each cutout, smoosh them all back together, and get another cutout out of them.
Now comes the fun part. Take out your vanilla cake frosting and cover the top face of the unicorn treat. Do this for all of your unicorns.
Take out your black writing gel and color in your unicorns muzzle/nose area. Take some rainbow sprinkles and sprinkle them along the long side of the treat to make the unicorn’s mane.
Finally, use a bit of gold sprinkles to cover make the gown nice and sparkly. Place a candy eye on the face and “voila!” you have a magical unicorn!
- You can store these like other rice krispie treats, at room temperature.
- Since they have icing, you only want to leave them out for about 3 days.
- If it will be longer than 3 days, you can stick them into the fridge and just let them sit for 30 minutes or so before serving.
- Use an airtight container.
- If you wont use them within 5 days, you should freeze them by flash freezing on a cookie sheet, then carefully wrapping in wax paper and popping into a freezer bag in the freezer.
Unicorn Rice Krispie Treats
- 8x8 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- Unicorn Cookie Cutter
- 3 Cups Rice Krispies
- 2 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 8 oz Marshmallows
- 1 black writing gel
- vanilla cake icing
- candy eyes
- gold sprinkles
- rainbow sprinkles
- add the butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes)
- use unicorn shaped cookie cutter to cut in shapes
- apply vanilla icing to top of treat
- use black writing gel for muzzle
- sprinkle rainbow sprinkles along the side for the unicorn mane
- sprinkle a bit of gold for the unicorn horn
- add a candy eye
- serve & enjoy!