How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Looking for a little glitter and pizzazz on your dessert table? Try out these beautiful gold Rice Krispie treats which are super easy to make and quite beautiful to look at.
What are gold rice krispie treats?
Gold Rice Krispie treats are simply your traditional Rice Krispie treat recipe which is a combination of marshmallow, butter and Rice Krispies cereal with a little gold color on top. These four ingredient super easy no bake dessert bars can be whipped up in 15 minutes or less.
These colorful Rice Krispie treats are made a little differently than some of our other colored treats such as pink Rice Krispie treats, Black Rice Krispie treats and green Rice Krispie treats. Instead of using a Jello or food coloring to color them we’re going to be using an edible spray color.
These gold Rice Krispie treats are super easy to make, all you have to do is spray on the color. However, if you want to make them in a slightly different way or perhaps use them for a themed treat here are a few ideas:
- Turn them into Stars: take this recipe and at the end use a star shaped cookie cutter to make gold stars.
- Turn them into rings: make a group of these use circular cookie cutters to make ring shapes and then celebrate the olympics.
- Use edible cake paint: instead of using the edible gold glitter spray we’re going to use, get some edible cake paint and paint your Rice Krispies gold.
- Combine them with another colored treat: mix them up with some black for black and gold rice krispie treats to celebrate your favorite team the Pittsburgh steelers. Or mix them with pink for pink and gold Rice Krispie treats for a baby shower.
How to Make these treats
These treats are as easy to make as original recipe rice Krispie treats. All you have to do is whip up a batch and add some edible gold spray glitter.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Edible gold spray glitter
First, make sure that you have everything you need to make your treats. You should gather up your spray glitter, marshmallows, butter, Rice Krispies cereal, spatula, measuring cups, microwave safe bowl or pot and pan.
Before you start, you’ll also need to make sure you have greased everything that your marshmallows will be touching. To grease things, you can use either a nonstick cooking spray or a pot of butter. Whichever you choose just make sure that you coat everything well.
Okay, now on to melting together your butter and marshmallows. You can do this in the microwave a little faster. Or, you can do it on the stove top a little slower, but with more heat control for your marshmallows.
Microwaving your treats
- Grab a hold of your four tablespoons of butter add that to your bowl. And then grab a hold of your 16 oz of marshmallows and add that to your bowl with your butter.
- Go ahead and stick that bowl full of butter and marshmallows into your microwave and heat it all up for 30 to 60 seconds.
- When it’s been heated, go ahead and take it out. Then, stir your butter and marshmallows together super good.
- Pop that bowl with butter marshmallows back into your microwave and heat it for another 30 seconds.
- Remove it when it’s done heating and stir It up again.
- Continue with your stirring and heating cycles until you have fully melted your marshmallows.
Treats on the stove top:
- Grab a hold of your four tablespoons of butter and plop it into your pot.
- Go ahead and crank your stove top heat to low and place that pot full of butter on top of a burner.
- Grab your spatula and stir that butter occasionally as it melts.
- Once that butter is almost completely melted grab a hold of your 16 oz of marshmallows and plop those in your pot with your butter.
- Go ahead and keep your heat on low, but instead of stirring occasionally, stir those marshmallows frequently.
- Once those marshmallows are almost completely melted go ahead and take them off the heat. But, don’t stop stirring. Continue stirring until they are fully melted.
Next up we’re going to measure out 6 cups of rice krispies cereal. Then, while stirring at it slowly to your marshmallow mixture.
Make sure that you stir everything together well and then all of your cereal is consistently coated with marshmallows throughout.
Now we’re going to transfer our marshmallow cereal mixture from our bowl into our greased pan. Use that greased up spatula and move the mixture from your bowl to your pan pressing it lightly down into the pan so that it is a even thickness throughout.
You’re going to want to let those treats cool before you cut into them or they will be sticky and difficult to cut. Set them aside for around 30 minutes. Once they pulled off a little, take a greased up knife and cut it into 16 even squares.
Nw it’s time to turn those treats gold. Go ahead and grab up your edible gold spray glitter and spray your treats on all sides and corners so that they are coated in gold color.
- Spray before or after: if you want to make your treats only gold on one side, you can spray the whole top of the pan instead of cutting your treats and spraying on all sides.
- Lay it on thick: since you’re using a spray glitter and not a typical food coloring, you want to make sure you put a good coat on your crispies so that you can really see the gold color.
- Stand out more: if you really want that gold glitter to stand out, you could dip your crispies in white chocolate candy melts first. Let them dry, then spray the gold in a consistent color throughout.
- Don’t overheat anything: marshmallows will get extremely stiff and brutal if they’ve been overheated. This is due to the high sugar content and sugar will crystallize under too much heat. So, make sure to keep your heat low and only heat for just as long as it takes to get them melted.
- Storing your treats properly: these streets will last upwards of five days or so if kept it room temperature and an airtight container or sealed Ziploc bag. If they won’t be using this time frame make sure you pop them in the freezer and save them for later.
Gold Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- large stock pot
- Large mixing bowl
- measuring cups
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 4 tbs Salted Butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- edible gold glitter spray
- Get your ingredients and equiptment all together before you get started.
- Use a pad of butter or some non-stick cooking spray to grease your spatula and pan.
- Melt your butter and marshmallows together.Note: you can do the melting on the stovetop (instructions above in post) or in the microwave as detailed below.
- Measure and add 4 tbs of butter and 16 oz of marshmallows to a dish that can be used in the microwave.
- Put the dish with butter and marshmallows in the microwave for 30 – 60 seconds.
- After they have been heated, remove the dish and stir butter and marshmallows.
- Repeat heating and stirring until marshmallows are melted well.
- Measure 6 cups of rice krispie cereal, then slowly add it to the melted marshmallows.
- Fold the cereal into the marshmallows until everything is combined.
- Transfer the cereal and marshmallow mixture into the pan that you greased.
- Push the treat mixture into the pan at an even thickness.
- Let treats cool for about 30 minutes, then cut into squares with a knife.
- Use gold glitter spray to color each treat gold.