How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Captain Crunch Cereal Bars are the perfect combination of breakfast food and marshmallowy goodness. The best part is this recipe is quick, easy, and requires no baking at all.
How to Make Captain Crunch Cereal Bars
Captain Crunch Bars are easy to make no bake dessert bars that take only 3 ingredients and about 15 minutes to make. You basically take the traditional rice krispie treat recipe and substitute out rice krispies for captain crunch.
These Captain crunch treats are perfect for snacking or for a fun dessert at get togethers. They are packed with the sweet crunch of the puffed cereal and the sweet stickiness of the marshmallows.
If you've ever made cereal bars before, you know they are not a lot of work but have a HUGE snack payoff in the end. Captain Crunch Cereal bars rank right up there with Cocoa Puffs cereal bars, Trix cereal bars, Cookie Crisp Cereal Bars, and Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Bars for best cereal bar treats.
The traditional flavored captain crunch cereal is super yummy in these treat bars, however, you can mix it up some if you want. Here are a few ideas:
- Captain Crunch Berries
- Oops All Berries
- Peanut Butter Crunch
- Chocolate Caramel Crunch
- 6 Cups Captain Crunch Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
First, make sure that you have everything you need to make your treats gathered up. Then, before you get started, pre-grease your bowl, spatula and pan otherwise the marshmallow mixture will stick to everything and be very difficult to work with.
For the greasing, you can either use butter or non-stick cooking spray whichever you prefer.
Next, you need to melt your marshmallows together with your butter. You can do this in the microwave or on the stove top.
The stove takes about three times longer, but gives you more control over the amount of heat applied to your marshmallows.
- Set a pot on your stovetop.
- Using low, start melting your 4 tbs of butter.
- After a few minutes, add in a full 16 ounce bag of Jet Puff Marshmallows to your mostly melted butter.
- Use a spatula to stir the marshmallows and butter together until they have completely melted together.
- Take a microwave safe dish and put your marshmallows and butter in it.
- Heat it for 30 - 60 seconds and then take it out and stir it.
- Then, put it back in for 30 seconds at a time and stir between heatings until the marshmallows are melted.
Take 6 measured cups of Captain Crunch cereal and dump them into the marshmallow mixture. Again, using your spatula, stir everything together until it is thoroughly mixed.
Once your cereal and marshmallow base is mixed, take your cereal bar batter and scoop it into your pan. You can use your spatula to flatten the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
Now, set everything to the side for about 20-30 minutes and allow to cool before cutting.
*if you are impatient like we are you, can speed this up a bit using the fridge or even the freezer.
Finally, once your treats are cooled, take out a sharp knife and cut them into squares. A full pan should yield around 15 to 16 squares depending on how narrow you cut them.
Serve and enjoy!
Tips for perfect bars
- Use name brand marshmallows: we prefer Jet Puff Marshmallows. They tend to have the most consistency in flavor and freshness. But any brand of marshmallows will do.
- Don't press too hard: when you are stirring in your cereal and when you are putting the mixture into the pan, be sure not to crush it all together. If you press it too much your treats will be too compact.
- Use new marshmallows: stale marshmallows result in harder treats.
- Watch how much you heat it: overheating your marshmallows also result in harder treats, only heat long enough to melt them. Make sure to stir well while heating to help them melt and to disperse the heat.
Captain Crunch Cereal Bars
- 9x13 Pan
- large stock pot
- 6 Cups Captain Crunch cereal
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- Melt butter and marshmallows together medium heat in a pan on the stove top.
- Once melted and mixed, take off heat and add in the Captain Crunch cereal.
- Thoroughly mix marshmallows and cereal together.
- Grease spatula and pan and spread your mixture evenly into the pan.
- Let bars sit for 20 - 40 minutes to cool, then enjoy.
For more delicious Rice Krispie Treats