How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
If you are looking for a semi-spooky, but fun Halloween dessert, then you must try these monster rice krispie treats. These are perfect for fun parties, but also to use as a kid-friendly food activity.
How to Make Monster Rice Krispie Treats
Monster rice krispie treats are a creative food craft dessert that is easy to make in about 15 or 20 minutes. They take only 4 ingredients, plus whatever items you use for decorating them like decorating gel and candy eyeballs.
These treats will make a fun food craft for your kids to do around Halloween. Or, they can be a fun kids party treat or even an adult Halloween party treat. They are easy to make in small or large batches, however many you need for your occasion.
The sky’s the limit for how you can make and decorate these treats. We detail below how we made the ones pictured. But here are a few other ideas you can also use:
- Put them on a stick: you can get paper sticks and make the treats on a stick.
- Dip them in chocolate: dip the treats in chocolate for an extra yummy flavor.
- Dip them in candy melts: instead of using food coloring, dip the treats in colored candy melts.
- Don’t use colored treats, but use colored icing: use icing instead of food coloring
- Use different base colors: try out purple, black, orange or other colors.
- Use cookie cutters: if you find some monster shaped cookie cutters you can use those to shape them instead of just squares or rectangles.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- decorative candy eyeballs
- Food Coloring
- Decorative Icing
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
As you get started, you first want to make sure that you have all of your supplies and ingredients ready to go. You can follow our guidelines for decorating them, but you’ll really have more fun if you just let your imagination run wild too.
Before you start mixing things up, make sure to pre-grease you pan, bowl, and spatula. You can use cooking spray or butter for this.
After you figured out what colors you want to use, it’s time to get started. Pull out your pot, add in your butter, and set your heat to medium. Give the butter a few minutes to melt and move on to the next step.
Take a full 16 ounce bag of marshmallows and dump them into the melted butter. You can use your spatula to stir the marshmallows around until they melt as well. You should have a pot full of white melted marshmallows with a golden, butter colored sheen.
If you want to speed this part of the process up a little bit, you can always follow the instructions for our microwave Rice Krispie Treat.
Take the first of your food coloring and squirt it into the marshmallow mix. For this example, we will be using four colors and we will start with blue.
Continue to stir food coloring into the marshmallows until everything is a bright blue color. You can add more food coloring if you need to.
Take out your box of rice krispies cereal. Dump the 6 cups into the blue marshmallows. Use your spatula and stir everything together until evenly coated.
Sometimes the Rice Krispies won’t stay as bright and colorful as the marshmallows. If this happens, you can just add more food coloring.
Scoop the unformed Rice Krispie Treat mix from the pot and into the pan. Use your spatula to spread the mix evenly throughout the pan until it is completely flat along the bottom.
Set to the side and allow to cool. You will want to repeat these steps as many times as you have colors picked out. Once you have all of your colors made, move on to the next step.
Now that your Rice Krispie Treats are completely cool, it is time to cut them. Again, this is somewhere where you can use your own creativity, but we used rectangle shapes instead of squares.
Using a sharp knife, cut your squares into 2 x 1 or 4 x 2 rectangles. Continue to do this until you have all of your colors cut.
Now it’s time to move on to the fun part; DECORATING!
Again, we’ll start with blue. We decided to go simple with this one and simply gave him three eyeballs right in the center and finished him off with a black circle for a mouth.
Our Yellow Monster has just two eyes and we gave him a red gel squiggly mouth.
Our Red Monster is a little more complicated, but not too much. We gave him three eyeballs stacked vertically in a crooked pattern. And for his mouth we just gave him a big goofy grin using black decorative gel.
Our final monster may be the most complicated of them all. But again, he is still pretty simple to make. We gave him one single eyeball right in the center of his face. And for his mouth we gave him a really wide frown in black gel and two red gel fangs.
And that’s all you need to do! Make sure you have fun with this recipe and design your own monsters. You can let us know how they went in the comments below.
Monster Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl or Large stock pot
- measuring cups
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 6 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 1 pack candy eyes
- red food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- green food coloring
- blue food coloring
- tube black decorating gel
- tube red decorating gel
- Add the 1.5 butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- add in your food coloring
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- repeat steps 1 – 3 for remaining colors
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- Allow mixture to cool (about 30 minutes), cut into squares
- decorate with candy eyes, black decorating gel, red decorating gel
- Serve and enjoy!