How to Make Rice Crispy Treats may earn compensation from purchases made after clicking links on this page. Learn more Here.
Halloween snacks and decorations are always the most fun. Some of our favorites are quick and easy to make, like these eyeball Rice Krispie Treats.
How to Make Eyeball Rice Krispie Treats
If you’re like us, you love Halloween for the creepiness and the spookiness of the season. We like to let that crossover into every area in our lives, even our snacks.
Eyeball Rice Krispie Treats are so easy to make and are the perfect little accent to the snack table at your next Halloween party. Scatter these around your ghost Rice Krispie Treats, Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats, Graveyard Rice Krispie Treats, and Mummy Rice Krispie Treats. You’ll have a whole creepy Halloween theme going on.
When we made these, we started out with our red Rice Krispie Treats recipe and our yellow Rice Krispie Treats recipe. As long as you know how to make those, you’re fine, but you can also use any other color you like as well. The only additional ingredient is a pack of decorative candy eyeballs.
Let’s get to the recipe.
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- 16 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows
- 4 Tbs Salted Butter
- (optional) non-stick canola oil spray
- Food Coloring
- Candy Eyeballs
After gathering up all of your ingredients and supplies, you will need to pre-grease your equipment. The marshmallow mixture is really sticky and if you don’t grease everything well it is really difficult to work with.
Either butter or cooking spray can be used to grease things. The cooking spray is faster an easier to use, but the butter has a bit of a better flavor.
To get started you need to melt your butter and your marshmallows together. To do this, you have two options. You can do it on the stovetop or you can do it in the microwave.
To do it on the stovetop:
This process usually takes about 8 – 10 minutes.
- Add 3 tablespoons of butter into a pot.
- Put your pot on your stove top and set your heat to low.
- Allow your butter to melt.
- Once your butter has melted open up a 16 ounce bag of Jet Puff Marshmallows.
- Dump the whole bag into the stock pot with the melted butter.
- Stir everything with a spatula until it is completely melted together.
You can speed up this section of the process by following our microwave Rice Krispie Treats recipe.
Now it’s time to add some color! We’re going to start with the red. Squirt some of your red food coloring into your melted marshmallows and stir. Continue stirring and adding food coloring until your marshmallows are the bright color you want them to be.
Now that your marshmallows are bright, bright red, get out your Rice Krispies cereal. Dump 6 measured cups of Rice Krispies into the melted marshmallows. Use a spatula to stir everything together.
Sometimes the Rice Krispies don’t retain the same bright color as the marshmallows. If this happens, feel free to add more food coloring in at this point.
Note: If you are making a half batch, you can use an 8 x 8 baking pan.
Scoop your rice crispy mix into the Baking Pan. Smash the rice crispy treat. Mix into the bottom of the baking pan using your spatula to flatten and even everything out.
Repeat steps above for your yellow food coloring as well.
You need your Rice Krispie Treats to still be warm and malleable so you can form them into the right shape. So, take your partially cooled pan of red treats first.
We recommend cutting your entire pan into 1 inch x 1 inch squares. The smaller size squares, when formed into balls, fit the candy decorative eyeballs more appropriately.
Once your whole pan is cut into the right size square, take each square and hand mold them into round balls. Once you have done this to the whole pan, take out your decorative candy eyeballs and put one in the center of each ball.
Then repeat for the yellow pan of treats.
That’s all there is to it! Now, of course, you’ll need to repeat this process for each color but this really is a quick and easy recipe.
- Make a Half Batch: You can make this recipe in half batches, but we’re going to assume you are going to make a full batch of each color. If you want to make a half batch, just cut all the ingredients listed in half.
- Cool the treats, but not all the way: the best way to shape these into balls is to let the treats cool for just a few minutes so they aren’t so hot they’re falling apart, but not so cool they smash and get hard when you form them into balls.
- Get Creative – we did red and yellow treats, but you can do these any way you like. You could make original recipe treats and then color lines on them like red eye, you could do different colors.
Eyeball Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 Pan
- Large mixing bowl
- 6 Cups Rice Krispies
- 3 tablespoon Salted Butter
- 16 oz Marshmallows
- 1 pack decorative candy eyeballs
- red food coloring
- Add the butter & marshmallows in a bowl and melt them together. This can be done in the microwave or on the stove top.
- add in Rice Krispies and mix thoroughly
- add in your food coloring. we used red for this recipe
- Spread the mixture into a greased pan with a greased spatula.
- cut into 1 x 1 squares
- hand mold each square into a ball
- stick a decorative candy eyeball into the center