Whether you are celebrating a kid’s birthday, a Pride event, or just any happy and fun occasion, Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats will fit right in.
How to Make Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats
This recipe is one of the most fun and colorful recipes we have made. It is also one of the most time consuming, similar to our graveyard Rice Krispie Treats scene, as it takes several steps.
We are going to use some techniques we have already learned in our other colored Rice Krispie Treats recipes. We’re going to use them all this time. Just remember ROY G BIV; red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple (instead of indigo and violet). To get started with this recipe you need red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple food coloring.
This recipe calls for making small batches in stages. So we will take our normal ingredient amounts and make quarter batches instead. For example:
- 9 Tablespoon Butter Total = 1½ Tablespoon per colored batch
- 9 Cups Rice Krispies Total = 1½ cup per colored batch
- 1½ bag Jet Puff Marshmallows 24 oz = about 4 oz per batch
You may need to fool around with the amounts to get it perfect but this is about how it should be. Since there are so many stages to this dessert, we recommend starting with purple and complete up to step 3. Then go back to step 1 with the next color, blue, and repeat until all 6 colors (green, yellow, orange, red) are complete.
Let’s dive right in!
Start melting your butter in a pot on the stove. Once the butter melts, add in around 4 oz of Jet Puff Marshmallows. Stir with a spatula until the marshmallows and butter are completely melted together together.
We are going to start with the purple layer first, and then go in reverse order until we finish with red. The order of colors should be purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and red.
Take your purple food coloring and pour it into the marshmallow mixture and stir until it is the color purple you want.
Once you have your marshmallows the color you want, you will want to add in 1½ measured cup of Rice Krispies Cereal. Typically, we would just dump them right in. Since we are dealing with such small amounts of batter this time around we suggest pouring the cereal in slowly as you stir.
We do this so that we don’t end up with too much cereal in the cereal to marshmallow ratio. Once you have added your Rice Krispies, you can move to the next step or add more food coloring if you need to. Sometimes the cereal will soak up the food coloring and dull the color.
Spray the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 baking pan with a canola oil spray, or any flavorless baking spray. Now dump your treat batter into the bottom of the pan or onto the previous layer of Rice Krispie Treats.
Once you have completed this step, go back to Step One and repeat these steps until all 6 colors are complete.
Step Three and a half
Now that all 6 colors have been completed and layered together set the entire pan to the side and allow them to cool. They should be mostly cool since the bottom layers have been finished for a while. You can stick them in the fridge or freezer to speed this part up.
Now that everything is sufficiently cooled it is time to cut them!
Take out a sharp knife and carefully cut your treats into 2 x 2 inch squares. This should give you about 16 squares per batch.
If you notice the color layers starting to separate while cutting they may not be cool enough yet. Use your spatula to press the top layer down again so they stick together a little better and then put them back in the refrigerator until they are a little cooler.
Once you have them all cut you will have a whole batch of bright and colorful (and delicious) treats!
Rainbow Rice Krispie Treats
- 9×13 (for full batch)
- measuring cups
- large stock pot
- 9 Tablespoon Butter
- 9 Cups Rice Krispies
- 1½ 16 oz bag Jet Puff Marshmallows 24oz
- red food coloring
- orange food coloring
- yellow food coloring
- green food coloring
- blue food coloring
- purple food coloring
Preparation and Important Information
- Sort all ingredients into 1/6 portions (example: 1½ TBS butter, 1½ cup cereal, etc)
- set each portion aside with each of the 6 food colorings
- start with purple and continue steps until you have all colors layered in the pan
- you should make the colors in this order: purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, red
- put 1½ tablespoon butter in large stock pot and melt
- add in 4oz of marshmallows
- stir until marshmallows and butter have blended together
- add food coloring
- add in 1½ cup of Rice Krispies and stir until well blended
- add more food coloring if needed
- spray 9×13 pan and spatula with non stick cooking spray
- press Rice Krispie mix into the bottom of the pan and flatten it out
- place to the side
- repeat until all colors are complete and layered
- place to the side and let cool
- cut into 2 x 2 inch squares
- serve and enjoy